November 26, 2014

Prematurely canceled sci-fi shows

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 10th 2008 4:40PM
Star TrekTopless Robot has posted a list of the top 10 sci-fi television shows that were canceled too soon.

I've never seen most of the other shows (and if a lot of America followed my example, that could somewhat explain their early cancellation), but I have watched numbers 1,2 and 7. Star Trek is an obvious choice for number 1 given that it is still the icon of science-fiction television.

I've heard good things about Max Headroom (number 3) and would probably at least watch it on DVD should it ever be released in the format. I disagree about the 1981 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (number 2) and think it works best at its current length. I find it interesting how the only reason the author wanted to extend Buck Rogers In the 25th Century was to see more of Erin Gray ("Off think. Off think. Off think").

Major examples are missing in their list such as Futurama and Firefly. Of course one could argue that the continuation of such shows on DVD and/or movies allowed them to survive beyond their television life. Star Trek wouldn't have even gotten syndicated and become the phenomenon it is if not for a relaxation of the rules for required number of episodes for syndication combined with a letter-writing campaign for a third season.

Which shows do you feel are missing from the list? Which shouldn't be included at all?

Sue

what about quantum leap?

July 11 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Thank god that list didn't have Firefly on it. I just don't understand why people like that show. It is not Sci-Fi, it is a space dramedy.

To me, anyone that lists that show as one of the best instantly loses all credibility as a reviewer/list-maker.

July 11 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rick cokely's comment
Mike Porter

Nice threadcrap. Which shows do you feel are missing from the list?

July 11 2008 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

The 4400, Dead Like Me, Enterprise (it was FINALLY getting good.)

July 11 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I miss Invasion and I still literally hurt inside thinking about all the firefly that could have been. You know, when they did a musical episode, met Inara's whiney sister, Mal suddenly had a psycho teenage son then became president of the Alliance.

I tease though.

July 11 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJH

Jericho
Journeyman

July 11 2008 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gonnabechef

Max Headroom was awesome. They had this thing that I think was called "global sweeps day," when the networks would pull the craziest stuff to get people to watch. Plus, Amanda Pays was hotter than Erin Gray and was also in The Flash, which could have been on this list.

But yeah, no Firefly, no peace. How could they forget Firefly? And Space: Above and Beyond. Cut down in their prime.

July 10 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gonnabechef's comment
kevjohn

"No Firefly, no peace"

I think I just decided what I want on my tombstone!

I just downloa.... uhh, legally purchased every bit of Max Headroom that ever saw the light of day. Remarkable show. As with all great sci-fi, it was truly ahead of its time.

July 11 2008 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

Odyssey 5
Space: Above and Beyond
Firefly
Invisible Man

...

damn thats depressing!

July 10 2008 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aberdeen's comment
Alicia

Odyssey 5.... That was a FANTASTIC SHOW!

I am sad that Jeremiah isn't on the list. It was on Showtime too.

July 10 2008 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

ABC canceled Invasion because they were too stupid in the beginning and wanted to move the story too slowly. That had half the audience ditch (myself included) and then by the time it became wonderful there wasn't enough viewers for the cost. The WB passed on it because of cost issues.

Odyssey 5 was canceled because the Showtime president was an asshole. No other reason, it was the number two show on the network.

July 10 2008 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

That list is completely useless without Firefly.

July 10 2008 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Porter

Earth 2 1994-95
Firefly 2002
Futurama 1999-2003 (+ 2 New Movies)
Invisible Man 2000-02
Nowhere Man 1995-96
Odyssey 5 2002
Space: Above and Beyond 1995-96

Only two of these lasted more than one season. They are Futurama (Five Seasons) and Invisible Man. (Two Seasons)

July 10 2008 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

Alien Nation.

Brisco County, Jr. (it was sort of scifi...)

Firefly