December 19, 2014

Non-story of the day: Deadwood movies are dead

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 11th 2008 2:01PM
Deadwood
There's such a thing as beating a dead horse and then there's beating a dead horse, chopping it up into tiny bits, and flinging it around like a monkey flings poo. The fact that we're still reading news items about Deadwood nearly two years after it aired its final episode just goes to show you how much it's missed. Well get this - as if we didn't already know - those two final "wrap-up the series with a neat little bow" movies are as dead as Wild Bill Hickok.

According to Zap2It, HBO big-wigs Richard Plepler and Michael Lombardo got pressed at the TCA for a Deadwood update. To no surprise, they said the chance of the films getting made were "slim to none."

Gee, you think?

Not only has showrunner/creator David Milch moved on to a new project (John from Cincinnati), but he had time for it to fail and move on to another - a 1970s cop drama. Milch has even said himself the movies are a no go. Deadwood stars Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane have both moved on to other high profile projects (Damages and Kings respectively), and HBO recently announced a complete series DVD set!

Honestly, at this point, I don't want them to get made. I'm a huge fan of Deadwood, but if filming commences on the first of the two films, it'll be forced and for the wrong reasons - to appease the fans rather than reward them. I don't want that because the end result wouldn't be what realistically would have been made had these gone into production, say, a year and a half ago. Everyone else has moved on and unfortunately, the fans need to as well. Besides, I'm honestly a little tired of reading news about Deadwood. It's depressing.

[via PopCandy]

easylee70

i would also like to know how the script was to end . i also noticed some bad reviews on deadwood and all i have to say is they wouldnt know a good show if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. deadwood was one of the best shows ever if you ask me and 95 percent of people i know would agree. its a shame it had to end before compleation and no im not a redneck i live in one of the biggest cities in the u.s.. i will always have hbo. stars and showtime have steped up there game on account of shows like deadwood and sopranos. like game of thrones, sparticus, gods of the arena and the borgias. all grade a shows.

June 02 2011 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chung-deh tien

If the creator of Deadwood would at least release the final 2 hour story publicly to the HBO site or press, I would appreciated. I could at least read for myself what happen to all my favorite characters in the story.

June 07 2009 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
millon9

I caught a duplicate airing of episode 1 on an HBO free weekend, and I immediatley bought season after season. The way Season 3 ends is perfection to an encore. I tried to watch John from Cincinnati, and I wanted to feed myself to the pigs after ten minutes. I STILL watch Deadwood episodes over new shows. The characters Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant created from the historical figures are jaw-dropping amazing. To me, HBO died with Ellsworth.

November 11 2008 at 5:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mathew

This is the single reason that I do not have an HBO subscription. If they can't pony up to complete their finest series ever (IMHO), then they are not getting my money any longer. I was a long time subscriber to HBO, mostly for the content that they created...and I bought several DVD sets of these shows. Season 2 of Deadwood was the last that I bought...just could not bring myself to purchase season 3 with the way they left off. Now Showtime gets my money. Dexter alone is enough to keep me subscribing.

July 14 2008 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mules

HBO has lost 100% of my attention, I paid to be entertained AND appeased, So if you can't please your customers then its time close shop...

July 14 2008 at 7:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fearlessmom

Can anyone enlighten me on the rumor that Milch has bad-mouthed Ian McShane and what that has to do with the death of the promised movies???

I gotta know! Any links to his statement(s)?

July 13 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I still can't over the fact HBO thought putting John of Cincinnati over the 4th season and final season of Deadwood was a good idea. John of Cincinnati was awful.

July 12 2008 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkiatotx

good one, Michael

July 11 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

"Consider the horse beaten, drawn and quartered, sliced, diced, julienned, chopped, punched, drop-kicked, and whatever the hell else you can do to a dead horse."

Feed it to the pigs......

July 11 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

"The fact that we're still reading news items about Deadwood nearly two years after it aired its final episode just goes to show you how much it's missed."

Well said. The Sopranos and The Wire were both excellent shows but Deadwood was the best.

July 11 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply