September 19, 2014

CBS gives Gary a name change - VIDEO

by Brett Love, posted Jul 14th 2008 10:02AM

Jay Mohr and Jaime King - Gary Unmarried... and I think it's a terrible idea. I have a small fascination with the titles of TV shows. They are never the total cause of a show's failure, but I do believe they can play a part. That's why my ears perked up this weekend when CBS ran a spot for Project Gary. At least, it looked like a spot for Project Gary, but my TV was now telling me it was for Gary Unmarried. What the heck is that?

It gave me a bit of deja vu. Suddenly I flashed back to September 2006 when I wrote a post about bad show titles, prompted by the name change of Let's Rob Mick Jagger. As you'll recall, that one became The Knights Of Prosperity, and things didn't work out so well. Not all name changes are bad. The CW changing Surviving The Filthy Rich to Privileged actually sounds like a good idea, but Gary Unmarried, no. I don't think the new name is going to sink them, but when combined with the fact that they didn't land in the safe harbor of the Monday night comedy block, I'm starting to get nervous for Gary.

And part of that nervousness is simply the fact that I want this show to succeed. There is still room on the schedules for a traditional, multi-camera sitcom. Even one with an old school laugh track. Jay Mohr is a funny guy, and who doesn't like Larry Miller? Most importantly though, this show has more Paula Marshall than every other show on TV, and that is reason enough to guarantee I'll be tuning in.

The name is new enough that Project Gary is still scattered all over the CBS website, including the following video. It's a quick behind the scenes look at the show.

Watch CBS Videos Online

Which title do you like better for Gary?
Project Gary57 (87.7%)
Gary Unmarried8 (12.3%)

Tim

Yeager blows.

July 20 2008 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Yeager blows.

July 20 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Yeager blows.

July 20 2008 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xyzapata

Project gary,.... sounded ok to me,...
but gary unmarried,.....its title sounds way to specific,...

they need to keep there options open when naming a show,...incase they diverte the storys and then have a confusing title now that no longer makes any sense,.... much like the problem that "how i met your mother" is going to have when we finally meet the mother,....

so what if gary gets married,....will the show be renamed again,.....?

July 14 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

Any Jay Mohr fans who haven't already done so need to check out Eddie Burns' "The Groomsmen". An outstanding movie in it's own right, but Jay steals the whole flick.

... and yes, Larry Miller is pure gold. Turned in a great li'l 2 min. performance in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

July 14 2008 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'm conflicted, but not about the title, I agree that "Project Gary" is better, even if it stinks, too. My confilct comes from the fact that I don't want to see Jay Mohr leave "Ghost Whisperer", but I also want to see Paula Marshall on TV as often as possible.

Maybe Paula Marshall could be cast as a new best friend for Melinda on "Ghost Whisperer" after this Gary thing gets canned? One can wish...

July 14 2008 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
Brett Love

I like the way you think Franklin. The more Paula Marshall, the better.

July 14 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Project Gary sounds like a Big Brother-type reality show set in northwest Indiana. Gary Unmarried just sounds desperate. Though, if they wedge it in on Monday night, it could have a chance to prove itself. I'd like to see Jay Mohr on TV again.

July 14 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Could it have been a problem that the name was so close to Project Runway? Samantha Who? changed names three or four times before finally settling on the current incarnation. (Sam I Am was one, challenged by the Dr. Seuss estate, right?)

If CBS changed the name of the show after it premiered, it'd be stupid. Before hand, I have no issues with it. I personally don't care for either title.

July 14 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply