October 21, 2014

GLAAD praises ABC and FX, but gives NBC and FOX the big fail

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 14th 2008 7:01PM
Brothers & Sisters Wedding Kevin ScottyIncluding gay characters on your TV show is good, unless it's two lesbians who fall in love with a straight man, as they do in a storyline on New Amsterdam. FOX learned that the hard way when they received a failing grade from GLAAD (The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) on their second annual GLAAD Network Responsibility Index. The index measures the "quantity, quality and diversity of images of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people on television."

Even though GLAAD gave FOX a failing grade, the network's cable counterpart, FX, received top honors for cable channels. The advocacy group praised them for including the most original programming that featured members LGBT community. Special notice was given to Nip/Tuck, which had a gay, lesbian, or bisexual character in every episode. Rescue Me's commitment ceremony storyline was also viewed favorably by the group.

It was ABC, however, that received the highest praise for featuring a gay wedding on the season finale of Brothers & Sisters. The marriage between Kevin and Scotty marks the first wedding between gay or lesbian series regulars on a primetime network scripted program. ABC was also recognized for its inclusion of LGBT characters on its other primetime shows, such as Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives. ABC received the highest score of all of the nets on last year's index as well.

In addition to Fox, NBC received a failing grade for its lack of inclusion. The exit of lesbian character Dr. Kerry Weaver from ER contributed to GLAAD's assessment. GLAAD is urging both networks to include more LGBT characters in their programs and to portray them in a more positive light.

Beth

Since I watch Brothers & Sisters and I don't approve of the same sex being together I just fast forward to get past it. B & S has a great story and my sister being of special needs doesn't understand those scenes. They can tone it down if they please. I still believe the Bible made woman for man if it gets to bad on any show I like I will not watch it. We still have plenty of good decent shows on tv to watch.

August 24 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

They probably take into account his boss Michael Scott and all his 'the gays' comments and makes their grade go way down.

July 15 2008 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

I don't understand why NBC has such a bad grade.

They have Oscar from "The Office" who is gay. That should count for something.

July 15 2008 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Earl

I thought I watched every episode of New Amsterdam, but I can't remember this at all. Which episode was it?

July 15 2008 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Earl's comment
Dave

Yeah, me too. I know I watched every episode. Was this some throwaway moment in some episode?

July 15 2008 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

The episode was the last one, "Love Hurts". The crime was that a woman was killed by her lesbian lover after she was going to marry a man.

July 15 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Does Nip/Tuck have a gay, lesbian or bisexual character in every episode because of Julia and her indecision as to what she is? As technically she could be argued to cover all three.

July 15 2008 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Actually,

On New Amsterdam, it was only *one* lesbian, NOT two.

July 15 2008 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I'll watch anything thats got a few girls going after each other in it. And to jx12 - Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

July 15 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I'm a big fan of Brothers & Sisters, and I like the way they handled the gay marriage line. This is a hot topic in politics and in Hollywood right now with celebrities like Ellen Degeneres finally able to marry who they please. It is nice to see GLAAD recognize the series.

Gina

July 14 2008 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

One day, those with Same-Sex Attraction will be handing out A+'s to shows that have the courage to address the issue with Truth and Compassion. I have hope in that future:+) check out www.narth.com if you need help.

July 14 2008 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pudge

I love it how the networks fail if they don't have any gay characters on their shows. Soon, there will be other organizations like this demanding more Hindu characters, more Portuguese characters, more transsexual characters, till every show has so many little caveats to fill that they forget to make it entertaining.

July 14 2008 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pudge's comment
Rocketboy_X

As a red-headed human, I was appalled by the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park. We need more Positive Red-Headed role models, not less.

Oh wait, I don't care, and appreciate a good joke.

July 15 2008 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply