October 23, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: Injured finalist replaced - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 14th 2008 1:17PM
SYTYCD logoInteresting news coming from the first FOX press conference of the day here in Beverly Hills: top 10 finalist Jessica King has had to bow out of So You Think You Can Dance due to an unspecified injury. Comfort Fedoke, who was recently eliminated, will replace her.

Creator Nigel Lythgoe told the gathered writers and critics that, for legal reasons, he can't specify what Jessica's injury was, how she got hurt, or when. He told reporters, though, that Jessica will discuss the injury on this week's show.

He also tried to imitate Comfort's Southern accent, repeating what she said when she heard she was returning, but he didn't quite make it. More on the SYTYCD press conference later today.

joanna hoke

I feel very sorry for Jessica, her 1st number last week was one of the hottest routines i've seen, it was truly amazing. She definately should be allowed to fo on tour, comfort stinks, terrible dancer, I feel something very strange about this.

July 15 2008 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nika4

My guess is that Jessica has had enough of those judges insulting her, and threatened to sue, until a settlement was reached. My gosh they even said last week that they wished they could have eliminated two girls and kept the guys. Enough already. How she endured this much ridicule is beyond me, but I hope the reality is that she sued those rude judges and WON! I cannot stand Comfort, frankly, was extremely happy to see her go, and am very sorry that we have to endure her self centered arrogant dancing for yet another week.

July 15 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nika4's comment
Kris

I doubt she could sue for that. It's their competition and they can say anything that they please.

July 16 2008 at 6:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I can't believe Comfort is back. It is difficult to watch her dance. Her solos are officially boring. They are basically the same moves with a new one added then she just mixes up the order in which they are executed.

It was hard watching Jessica get badgered by the judges, but I still would rather watch her dance than Comfort. I think she is annoying. She was done for me completely after her and Thayne Hip Hop number. The beginning and end are the only times she connected to Thayne. After that it was all about her - look at me hop hop - yeah, I'm good - this is my thang - I'm the shit. OK, she didn't say that verbally, but physically she did.

She blew it for Thayne and now she gets to come back?!?!?!? Ugh! She better get voted out this week. Hopefully none of the other dancers fall on their faces in some fluke accident.

July 15 2008 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
incognita

Karl Rove is scheduled to appear at the TCA tour Today. Sure would be nice to hear why he has time to talk to TV critics and not to Congress.

July 14 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I predict the injury sustained by Jessica will be a "bruised Ego" from all the shots she suffered from the so called judges.

Probably suffered a 'mental' breakdown and was going to sue "for legal" reasons until the settlement was reached.

The girl deserved better and Thane should be her replacement not Comfort.

July 14 2008 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vince's comment
goldie

Vince...preach on. You're right, she probably had a mental breakdown or something. I'm surprised she hasn't cried on the show with the way they treated her. And yeah, Thayne would be so much better coming back!

July 14 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TornAsunder

Well this really stinks. I mean, not that Jessica was a picnic or anything, but Comfort cannot dance anything but hip-hop. And even then, she's not that great. I understand she's a popper, and it's totally different from break dancing, but Sara from Season 3 was a b-girl and she was infinitely better than anything Comfort has ever done.

This irks me to no end. I hope that Jessica at least is still allowed to tour - that'd be completely unfair, considering that she rightfully made the Top Ten and Comfort did not.

July 14 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to TornAsunder's comment
goldie

tornasunder, I couldn't agree with you more. I was soooo happy last week when Comfort FINALLY left the show, and now she's back?? I was so excited I didn't have to watch her butcher another dance.
At least now someone else gets to be told they're not as good as Will, huh?

July 14 2008 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

you cannot compare Sara to Comfort, as their dancing styles are completely different. its like comparing apples and oranges, without the annoying cliche though.

that being said, the tour will probably be that much better. Jessica is an amazing dancer, but Comfort has much more star quality and is better entertainment.

July 14 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all the dancers change partners this week anyways? So Comfort probably won't be paired with Will I think.

July 14 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexis

I feel bad for jessica too, but i am not sorry to see her go. does she still go on tour?

July 14 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

That's too bad for Jessica, but I really like Comfort and was hoping she'd get a partner that she could really connect with to show her stuff. I will miss Thayne though.

July 14 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Goodluck to Jessica. I hope it's nothing too bad. But last week, I did have a thought that maybe they should have tried the pairing of Comfort with Will to see how that worked out.

July 14 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply