October 22, 2014

Still more Fanesia moments

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 14th 2008 2:40PM

Will and GraceA few years ago I introduced on this blog the concept of Fanesia (sorry for the weird formatting on that page, not sure what happened), where a fan chooses to get amnesia over a plot point that happened on a TV show. Examples I used before include The Lone Gunmen dying on The X-Files, Toby being the leak on The West Wing, the entire last episode of Seinfeld, and Mark Greene dying on ER. Nope, in my mind, those things never happened.

Here are five more Fanesia moments, involving such shows as Will & Grace, Guiding Light, and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

1. Will & Grace drift apart for years. I hate it when shows think they have to get either controversial or deep in their finales. This one had Will and Grace drifting apart for years, only to be reunited at the end when their two kids end up being neighbors at the same college (*cough* science fiction is more believable *cough*). I don't think they would have grown apart like that. Nope, in my TV world, even though they went their separate worlds and got partners and had kids, they still remained close friends.

2. Guiding Light gets all "realistic." A note to the producers of Guiding Light: since you've switched to the new "realistic," handheld camera, on-location style of filming, I've watched exactly two episodes of it. And I don't plan on watching another until you change it back to the way it was for, you know, 50 years. If the show isn't canceled before that, that is.

3. Data is replaced in Star Trek: Nemesis. OK, so I'm cheating a little bit here since this was a movie version of The Next Generation, but I really hated the whole plot with Data sacrificing himself and a new one taking his place at the end. I don't care if he is a robot and he saved his information so it could be put into a new Data, he's still a person! The entire Nemesis movie was pretty lame in general, too.

4. Breakfast Time moves to FOX. God, I loved this show when it was on FX, and was even a guest on the show, but when it went over to FOX...wow. Talk about a complete meltdown, and the funny thing is, fans actually saw it coming. Laurie Hibberd was pushed out and eventually left altogether; Tom Bergeron stayed on as solo host for a while, but he left eventually, too; they got rid of Bob The Puppet. Finally they just completely scrapped the entire format of the show and replaced it with The Vicki Lawrence Show. Ugh. So, in my mind, the show never went to FOX. It stayed on FX.

Zach

Omar's death on "The Wire"... so anti-climactic.

I have that post-esia thing to. I fail to recognize "Friends" post the Monica-Chandler wedding. [and, no, in my head, Rachel was never pregnant.]

Refuse to acknowledge the Jamie/Paul divorce on "Mad About You"; I only watched the show occasionally but, man, was that a f*ck-up.

July 15 2008 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Madydad

Paul and Jamie Buchman's divorce on Mad About You. Never happened.

If Henry Blake didn't spiral into the sea of Japan ("there were no survivors"), we wouldn't have had Hello, Larry.

July 15 2008 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ssco

As far as I'm concerned Jadzia Dax never died in Deep Space 9

July 15 2008 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ssco's comment
RobynM

I'm with you on that one.

On the finale of Night Court, Bull never went away with aliens - he stayed and lived a long, happy life with his new wife.

July 16 2008 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

I know it's an old one, but Henry Blake didn't die on MASH in my mind.

July 14 2008 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Oh, and Will and Grace stayed living together forever.

July 14 2008 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Johnston Green didn't get killed on Jericho! Hyde and Jackie got married on That 70's Show! Boromir didn't die, oh wait, that's a movie...Lana was NEVER on Smallville!!! Oh, there are so many.

July 14 2008 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

The Lone Gunman ARE still alive. Sidney's roommate on Alias was never killed then replaced by a double agent and Sidney never disappeared for x years -

July 14 2008 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nate

Gilmore Girls has so many moments of denial for me, especially Christopher getting Lorelai to marry him, but also Dean sleeping with Rory by taking advantage of her lonliness, and Paris becoming poor via her parent's tax evasion just so that they could drag Rory even deeper into Logan's world because Paris didn't care about or flaunt her wealth, but Logan did. What ASP did after the fourth season finale is pretty much a large case of fanesia for me.

July 14 2008 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lilly

Oops, I mean Zack isn't Gormagon's apprentice.
Oh, and also on my list: Wash is alive and kicking in my Firefly world.

July 14 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lilly

For me, the last two seasons of The X-Files don't exist. The Gunmen are still alive, Mulder never got abducted or ever had an incurable illness he never mentioned to Scully, William never existed and we never had to sit through that lame finale.
Season 5 of Alias doesn't exist, sometimes I block out season 4 too.
Christopher and Lorelai didn't get married on Gilmore Girls.
Newly added to the list: Zack is not Gormagon on Bones. When the show comes back I'm just going to think that Zack got a fancy new job somewhere else.

July 14 2008 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply