July 29, 2014

Dr. Horrible: Act One goes live

by Brett Love, posted Jul 15th 2008 10:01AM

Neil Patrick Harris as Dr Horrible
The wait is over. Joss Whedon's new project, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, made it's debut overnight with "Act One" going live on the internet. Acts Two and Three will follow on this Thursday and Saturday.

Unfortunately, the premiere was not without its issues. Almost as soon as the video became available, the familiar complaints of U.S. only video started rolling in. To their credit, team Dr. Horrible quickly updated their twitter account to let everyone know they were working on international viewing.

Assuming the geography issues get ironed out, it was a great start to the series. Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) is very funny as Dr. Horrible and Nathan Fillion's Captain Hammer is the perfect foil. As good as Harris is, Fillion steals his thunder a little bit when he makes his grand entrance. Felicia Day is also terrific as Penny, and the three of them all do a nice job with what are very entertaining songs.

This is a slam dunk for anyone that counts themselves a Whedon fan. For those of you that are not among his legions, it's still worth a look. It's a little bit crazy, but the fun kind of crazy. The episodes are also available from iTunes.

Vijay

Good sign of a good musical - still can't get "Freeze Ray " (the 1st song) out of my head, over 12 hours later. This feels like classic Whedon, crossed with The Tick, mixed with a little Human Giant, and a dash of Rent mixed in. With inspired casting on all sides, this is the most mundane (and therefore fun) presentation of heroes and villains yet. I think this has the makings of a Broadway crossover hit, complementing Avenue Q and Spamalot.

July 16 2008 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Just saw it. Dr. Horrible is hilarious. Great job to everyone involved. I can't wait for more.

July 16 2008 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

Looking forward to the Dr. Horrible panel at Comic-Con next week. Can't wait to ask when the DVD will be out.

July 16 2008 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

So good, I watched it three times! Totally worth the $3.99 on iTunes (for 3 acts). Just wondering if it's 3 acts total, or if there will be more after this.

July 16 2008 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alyson

So hilarious! I love Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris, and together, they are amazing! I especially loved Nathan Fillion's entrance and Dr. Horrible's troubles speaking to his girl.

July 15 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I just watched it no problem in Ireland, well worth the viewing :)

July 15 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

The international issues have supposedly been worked out now (though being in the US I can't test that). Damn funny stuff.

July 15 2008 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane O'Neal

The video is now available to international viewers! Yipee!!! It's great and I can't wait for the next episode. I have a feeling I'm going to need more than 3 episodes. I agree with Brett, Neil Patrick Harris is fabulous, and Nathan Fillon does make a startling and fun entrance. Felicia Day has the best voice of the three -- it's wonderful.

July 15 2008 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

It's like watching the musical adaptation of my favorite novel from last year: "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. (Worth checking out!)

A lot of fun and NPH has a great assist from Simon Helberg ('Big Bang Theory', 'Studio 60') as the damp super-villain Moist.

With all the mentions of other villains and heroes, I'm hoping the world of Dr. Horrible expands so that we meet some of these other "meta-humans".

And it'll never happen, but I'd love to see these characters show up in an episode of 'The Middleman'!

July 15 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Toby OB's comment
Brad

Yeah, maybe they could help Middleman with some decent characters...and writing.....and hell, production value heh.

July 15 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

That's a great idea Toby. Dr. Horrible's universe does share a certain vibe with The Middleman. You're right, it's very unlikely, but I could see them stopping off to get some information from Moist.

July 15 2008 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply