November 29, 2014

The Mole: Episodes 6 and 7

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 15th 2008 8:23AM

The Mole logo(S05E06 and S05E07)

Yup, that's right, there are two episodes of The Mole this week, thanks to last week's interruption by The Bachelorette. Of course, it turns out that the first episode is just one of those reality show "up to this point..." rehashes that we often get. These always bore me, especially since I've seen (and reviewed) every episode already. I'm sure there are a few new clues to who the Mole is in this recap, but I'll be damn if I could find them.

We did, however, get to see some unseen footage, including the very large Craig rolling over some of his fellow players on a bed and Nicole saying "All I have to do is be black and die," a quote from an earlier episode that I had forgotten about. We also get to see a new scene where Nicole and Alex admitted throwing that "Fruit of the Luge" challenge. But overall, it's not really a needed episode for fans.

So let's get to this week's new adventure...

So as it turns out, Nicole is the only female left in the game. She has to compete with Craig, Mark, Alex, Paul, and Clay, most of whom don't trust her at all.

Mark impressed me tonight. In the first challenge, he not only answered most of the complex math problem/GPS questions, he did it while running for 53 minutes straight on a treadmill! In the second challenge he jumped off the plank and bungeed (if that's a word). Of course, all of the players jumped off, even if they were way off with their guesses as to how much money they'd get (I don't get the fears of some of the players that players who jumped missed the target on purpose...it seems really easy to miss the target). I don't understand why Jon Kelley asked each player what their guess was one at a time before they jumped. Didn't this give the players that jumped later an advantage, because they saw the people who jumped earlier missed the target? And on that note, why the hell did Nicole, who went last, guess $28,000?!

Mark and Clay's plan to get Alex drunk on wine...I don't know how this will really hurt his quiz taking. I mean, the questions are rather specific ("Is the Mole male or female?" - with only one woman left, go with the odds) and blunt and I don't think extra wine will make an impact.

But what do I know? Alex goes home, and I would say he's probably the last of the "he's a little under the radar so he could be the Mole" players. So we're down to Clay, Nicole, Craig, Mark, and Paul. A mix of the arrogant and rather obnoxious (Nicole and Paul), players who have done many suspicious things (Mark and Craig), and some that have seem to have been rather sneaky in their play (Clay and Craig).

As for clues this week, I have no idea. I am rather intrigued by the t-shirts that several players are wearing. What's up with Craig's "SLIKE" shirt? Or Mark's "Wisconsin" shirt? I wonder if those are clues?

Next week we get to meet their family members and ride a subway!

Did you like this week's hour-long recap episode?
Yes, it was interesting.28 (18.5%)
Nah, it was unneccesary.123 (81.5%)

brenth

I could be wrong, but I really feel like Alex thought that Nicole was the mole.

You can check my past messages, but I still feel like Clay is the mole. I can't believe the mole would be so obvious as Nicole in sabatoging a mission. I remember at the end of the first season, Kathryn saying she wanted to help the guys get more money in the pot on the last mission, and she was the mole.

It just seems that this season, so many of the group want to look like the mole that the group doesn't accomplish much, and the mole just sits there and says well that's another job well done.

July 16 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I hope I'm wrong, but if I were in Vegas, I'd bet money that Nicole is the Mole. She's just done too many things to negatively affect the game. If she isn't, she sure isn't wanting to put as much money possible into the pot.

As an aside, there's no chance ABC will pull the show before it's done (like CBS did with Pirate Master) due to low ratings, is there? I will be really pissed if they do.

July 16 2008 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will's comment
mb

They did, however, shelve the second Season more than halfway though its run. I believe it was because the show had to go up against Survivor at the time (or was it because of 9/11)?

But yeah, ABC did put the show on hiatus during its run. I remember that the contestants (including the winner) had to keep quiet for over a year (I think) until ABC brought it back.

With the other two idiot game shows it's pushing, I can't see ABC prematurely yanking the Mole. But I can see them killing it off after the run is over though.

July 16 2008 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Belden

Clay has to be the mole. Watch his interviews. Either he's an incredibly boring person in real life or he's a bad actor and liar. Watching the review show really cemented this for me.

- He was talking after they crossed the finish line in the luge competition and he then mixed up two of the fruits which no one else seemed to have trouble with. He also made a big deal out of the pear/avocado mix-up.

- He really, really wanted that exemption and got it. What better way to ensure someone goes home than to take an exemption?

- He was the first to protest about the clothing hunt challenge saying it would be degrading or disrespectful. Mark immediately jumped up beside his friend saying he was out too.

- During the chain game he was quite vocal in prodding other players and trying to get something to go wrong.

- During the bungee competition, he had his eyes closed, the only player I remember doing which would have been a great excuse had he been the only one who missed.

Granted, this is all speculation, but I stand firm in my belief. Everyone else has had these outbursts and ridiculous moments, the only emotion I recall EVER seeing out of Clay was when he got upset from being provoked in the van.

Then there are other clues, like the CLAY pigs, the two countries they have been in being Chile and Argentina, C and A being two letters of his name.

July 15 2008 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Well, who's the Mole? Or rather, who do YOU think is the Mole?

Someone mentioned in a previous episode thread that several clues hinted that Nicole was their choice of Mole (I believe that there was the sound of a baby, and Nicole is an OB/GYN...).

If I'd been one of the players, I'd be executed long ago if I'd followed my suspicions. I'm inclined to think that Nicole is the Mole, and that the producers have tried to go with the opposite of previous Moles and found an obnoxious one. One point that was made was that Nicole NEVER wrote in her journal until last night.

But the question I have is, who did Alex think was the Mole? Was it Nicole? Because if it was his choice, he was wrong.

Damn. Craig is also quite sneaky but very observant. He's on the top of my list too.

And I know Mark is a teacher and all, but how the heck did he know those Vineyard answers while jogging along? And it seemed that he just rattled off the *correct* answers without having to think...

Damn. Damn. Damn.

July 15 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I'm voting Clay or Craig for the Mole. Mark was way too helpful this episode to be the Mole. He could have just not helped Nicole so much, or oops, accidentally fallen off the treadmill- no one would have suspected him when it was going full speed and he had been on there so long. But Craig was pretty absent during the questions, letting Nicole do all the work.

They must have actually taken their guesses before the bungee. Otherwise it is too unfair for the players going first- and I cannot believe they would all guess so high, especially the last players. Nicole knows she is last, they've only made $4k, and she picks $28k??? That is not even possible. On the other hand, she just doesn't seem that bright. I'd be scared if she was my obgyn.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about the Mole being under the radar and then Paul is the Mole. I just hope he isn't because every episode I want to throw something at him (and Nicole).

July 15 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
Liz

I wish we could edit our comments. After I posted this I saw that other people addressed the bungee thing. Bah.

July 15 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grc161

Ray,

The explanations are:

2. Which number should replace the question mark?
14 4 9 2
13 7 4 5
11 4 5 3
22 5 9 ?

(14+4) / 9 = 2
(13+7) / 4 = 5
(11+4) / 5 = 3
(22+5) / 9 = ? and ? = 3

5. Which number should come next in the following sequence: 2, 6, 3, 9, 6, 18, 15, 45, 42, ?

2 x 3 = 6
3 x 3 = 9
6 x 3 = 18
15 x 3 = 45
42 x 3 = ? and ? = 126

July 15 2008 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

Can someone explain the answer to the two math questions in the wine task for me? They went through it rather quickly and I didn't quite get the explanation.

2. Which number should replace the question mark?
14 4 9 2
13 7 4 5
11 4 5 3
22 5 9 ?

July 15 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

There is no possible way Nicole is a doctor. No way.

July 15 2008 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

The most annoying part of any episode is the reaction of the players at the end when soneone is executed. Like they absolutely cannot believe someone is leaving. Duh!

July 15 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Max's comment
Jack

It's the shock of WHO was executed, not that there was one.

July 15 2008 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Casey

The 2 clues I noticed, which may not be clues at all, are: All of Nicole's t-shirts had a blurry spot on them, and the barrels behind them during the execution all had the letter "N" on them. I have thought Nicole is the mole all along, so I could be just looking for things.
Also, I thought it was strange, during the episode where Craig was taken to the hospital, that Nicole didn't even ask him how he was feeling. Doesn't the hypocratic oath say something about helping others?

July 15 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply