August 30, 2014

William Petersen is leaving Las Vegas ... and CSI

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 15th 2008 11:41AM
William Petersen CSIJust because William Petersen signed a contract in May that said he was going to stay on CSI, doesn't mean that he's going to, you know, stay on CSI. As it turns out, Petersen, who does double-duty as Gil Grissom and executive producer of the long-running procedural, had a clause in his contract that is allowing him to leave the show after this season's tenth episode. Both Petersen and CBS are quick to point out, however, that we will not be seeing the last of Gil Grissom.

Petersen plans to remain actively involved in CSI and is maintaining his role as executive producer. Although he will no longer be a series regular, he's definitely not planning on leaving for good, saying, "I'm in a great place in terms of knowing that I'll be more free to make choices. And I'm responsible enough to not do it in a way that would hurt [the show]."

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AFTER THE JUMP

While Petersen makes his situation sound like he'll be a visiting professor who pops in to check on his favorite students now and again, executive producer Carol Mendelsohn seems to have a more structured idea of what's expected of Peterson, saying that, "he will, whenever CBS asks, come back." Really Carol? Petersen doesn't strike me as the type of guy who takes too kindly to network demands. I'm pretty sure that Petersen is going to either return or not return on his terms.

It's been a tough year for CSI. The series, which has maintained a pretty stable cast since its premiere in 2000, has lost three core castmembers in the past year. In addition to Petersen, Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle) and Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown) have both left the show. However, like Petersen, neither seems to want to stay gone for long.

Warrick, who was presumably killed in the season finale, will show up in the season premiere. However, producers decline to say whether or not he'll actually be alive when that happens. Jorja Fox will also be returning for multiple episodes as Sara Sidle, and will play a big part in Grissom's final arc. When CSI's new season begins, Grissom is described as being in crisis, "As a man. As a scientist. As a teacher. As a middle-aged person who has been very successful at what he's done... [he] wonders, 'What's the point?'"

While Sara will be there to help Grissom get through what happened to Warrick, Petersen doesn't say whether the lovebirds will be riding off into the sunset together. Whether they do or not, it looks as though the beginning of the season, with Sarah's return and Warrick's final appearance, will be the last time we see the original gang together.

Do you think CSI is going to suffer from losing this many castmembers, or like Law & Order, will it just keep chugging along?

Chel

I'm sorry to hear Gil (William Peterson) might be leaving the show, but. before he goes please don't hook-up Gil and Catherine together, I still feel Sara is his love partner.
I would hate that story line. So sorry they killed off Warrick. Loved him

October 04 2008 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah Harlow

I really hate to see William Peterson go, he is a big part of the show and I love his character. I hope this show stays around forever. It seems like when I find a show I like after so many years they take it off. I watch CSI every week and look forward to it.

October 01 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
H. MacRivas

Grissom (WIlliam Petersen) has always been the glue that held it the team together. He's been the hardest to get to know and he's been the one that always brought the team back to the reason they do what they do. They are scientists and have to be objective, yet when there was a really whacked out crime and/or suspect and he seemed just as confused as the rest of us, Gil could remind the team (and us) of the more fragile side of human beings, the human side of life and death.
I am an avid fan (yes, I watch all the reruns too!), I think we'll have to get to know more about why they still do it, why they care, after all that's happened to the team.

October 01 2008 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Hunt

The show will not be the same without William Peterson,it will come to a end.That is one reason I watch it.Also I like Sara(Jorja Fox).The two of them make the show to me,along with the rest,but no Gil no show.

August 31 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

I guess we can't expect people in the Entertainment world to settle for one character(Grissom) forever. But for me..., I love William Peterson. He is sultry, Sexy and Mysterious. He is THE SHOW. And don't let Warrick die. We all make mistakes!!!! Who are we to judge!! After the first nine shows I may quit watching..., if Grissom leaves? And I am a LOYAL FAN! Don't burn your bridges... CSI cast!

August 21 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross

the show will suck but I'll wtch it faithfully till the end witch os close I'm afaid well can always buy all the season and watch it from the begging to end

August 18 2008 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amber

if griss leaves and sara and warrick there is no csi th eteam is made up of:sara sidle, gil grisssom,catherine willows,nick stokes,warrick brown,greg sanders,and jim brass sopie curtis,and dr.al robbins and dave hodges.plus others but they are the main team

August 09 2008 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I only started watching again when Fox left and I didn't have to see the "latent pedophile" story arc between Gil and Electra.

In an article on CNN one of the producers was actually quoted as saying Grissom would not be leaving in a mid life crisis story or be hopping in to bed with anyone. Hello - they did that the season before this last one. That would be a great TCA tour question though - If sleeping with your 17 yrs younger employee does not count as a mid life crisis what does?

July 16 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Wow! CSI will never be the same without Grissom or Peterson playing the part. I never was a Sarah fan. She was to dull. I love watching Warrick and hope he doesn't leave. They need to have Grissom but maybe he if wants a break he could be an advisor to Kathryn who should have the position. This is one of my favorite shows!!! I even watch reruns.

July 16 2008 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trtlsoup2001

William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger was the first draw to watch the show in the beginning. Whether Peterson is behind the camera or in front, it's still the best CSI out there. I'll still watch...

July 16 2008 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply