December 20, 2014

Amy Poehler gets her own Office?

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 16th 2008 10:50AM
Amy PoehlerAccording to popular rumor, SNL star Amy Poehler is in talks to star in the spin-off series from NBC's The Office. If this is true, she'll be joining fellow SNL alumnus (and former Weekend Update co-anchor and co-star of the movie Baby Mama) Tina Fey as part of NBC's comedy prime-time line-up. No word yet on how Poehler's real-life pregnancy would affect this situation.

All I can say is: wow, what a fantastic choice. I've always been impressed with Poehler's work since she co-founded the Upright Citizen's Brigade (which is still going strong on both coasts). I've had the pleasure of seeing her perform comedy improv a few times and noticed how she is leaps and bounds more talented than most of the other people on the stage.

If anybody can lead a sitcom, it's Amy Poehler. If this news is true, I very much look forward to this spin-off and think it may be one of those rare cases in which the spin-off equals or is even greater than the original.

Mike

According to E! Amy will be part of a show by the creators of the office, however, this show not the spin off...

July 26 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

i thought that loren graham was a better idea for these show...

July 17 2008 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey S.

I don't care much for Poehler. I know that she has her share of fans, but I can't imagine how someone could tolerate her on a weekly basis. Of course I also think a spin-off is just a crappy way for NBC to cash in on a great show, so maybe Poehler is perfect!

July 16 2008 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Oh god let this happen! I loooooove Amy Poehler.

July 16 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

But... Would the new spinoff have pathos from Poehler? I've never play anyone sympathetically before...

July 16 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl72

I agree with #2.
While I enjoyed her on the UCB, I can't stand her now. She just plays the same really stupid, really obnoxious character Will Ferrell does. Over and over.

I don't see how that could translate into a sitcom.
But then again, I think she and Will Ferrell are terrible and don't translate into film, either, so what do I know?

July 16 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Love Amy Poehler. I would watch for sure. I doubt many would have predicted that Tina Fey would have been so successful outside of SNL but she's doing great and 30 Rock is one of my faves.

July 16 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

"If this news is true, I very much look forward to this spin-off and think it may be one of those rare cases in which the spin-off equals or is even greater than the original."

Blasphemy!

July 16 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ac's comment
Davy Fields

Yeah, I'm sorry, but maybe to you the spin-off equals or is even great than the original, but her style of comedy does not jive with the kind of clever/sarcasm/irony that makes the Office great. If you'd like a different kind of show, then sure, maybe Amy Poehler will work out well, but to say that it will be better than the original is flawed logic... it will certainly be different.

July 16 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Um the part in quotes was not my opinion. It was a quotes from the article above. The blasphamy comment was the only part that was actually my opinion. I think a spin off is a dumb idea

July 16 2008 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pacheco

All I can say is: wow, what a terrible choice. She's not funny, she's annoying, and I'm always shocked that so many people like her.

July 16 2008 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pacheco's comment
delusionaryx

You sir, hit the nail on the head.

July 16 2008 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Coughlin

And yet Variety says that it won't be a spin-off after all. I wonder what's going on over there...

July 16 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply