September 17, 2014

Hurl: Episode 1 (series premiere)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 16th 2008 8:58AM

Hurl

"It's like a good poop." - Hurl contestant about vomiting

It's odd that the grossest thing about Hurl isn't the scenes where the contestants vomit. Or maybe I should say it's not the only gross thing about the show (watching other people throw up isn't one of my favorite pastimes, after all). It's equally unpleasant to watch people shove food into their mouth as fast as they can, talk while they're doing it, and burp a lot to make more room for food. I don't even want to think about all of that.

It starts out with five guys (and I'm sure most of the contestants are going to be men, call me psychic) who have to eat a bunch of some food (mac and cheese in this first episode). The food is on a scale and the three that have eaten the most move on (the announcer says that they have to actually swallow the food or it doesn't count, but I didn't see any subtraction for food still in the mouth, they just went by the scale numbers). The three survivors are then shoved into big metal balls and spun around for five minutes. Then comes the eating of pies and more spinning and (possible) hurling. The winner gets $1,000 and a trophy, which doesn't seem like enough.

There are a few great ideas in this show. One is to have the graphics and stats and bios put not on the screen but on notebooks and Post-It Notes that a mysterious hand holds up in front of the camera. That works really well and looks great. I also love the idea that the show's crew members that help the contestants into the spinning balls are wearing hazmat suits from head to toe. That's clever.

But really, I don't want to watch Hurl again. It really has nothing I want to watch, and considering I often eat dinner while watching TV it could also be dangerous.

Will you watch Hurl again?
Yeah, it was great!72 (61.0%)
Um, no, once is enough.46 (39.0%)

Mark "The Hobo" Watson

Hurl on, dude!

September 05 2008 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mathieu Plante

There's a caption that says G4 under the pic and I also linked to the network site as well.

Stop trying to defend yourself when you're wrong. Your caption clearly says g4.com (instead of G4 or g4tv.com). You should seriously list at the network and both the day and the time the show airs in your article when you're reviewing a show. It's just common sense.

July 16 2008 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I love me some G4, but this show is just nasty. I wish that they imported more shows like Unbeatable Banzuke and Ninja Warrior instead of creating this sort of tripe. I can seriously sit there for an entire day watching nothing but those two shows (but because the block is supposed to be foreign shows, they really should get more than just those two Japanese shows... maybe something from Sweden if you block out the nudity?) Anyway, I won't be watching Hurl.

July 16 2008 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rick cokely's comment
MERVE-THE-PERVE

Or just leave the nudity in for us pervs.

July 17 2008 at 6:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

July 16 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I'm so glad I didn't watch this.

July 16 2008 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

I know. The network should at least be a tag or something. Half the time I never have any idea what channel a reviewed show is on. Which, you know, makes it hard to keep up.

July 16 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Harry's comment
Mark "The Hobo" Watson

Get Grudged in Pie Town, U.S.A.!

September 05 2008 at 7:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben

Thanks commenters for telling me it was on g4. You would think that an article about a show would tell what channel it is on.
Not like I'm going to watch it though.

July 16 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

Just reading the description of the game makes me want to toss my breakfast.

Hub, it really isn't network TV. It's G4, which is actually the sub-basement of network TV. No offense to G4, that is.

July 16 2008 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

Really, network TV? Really? We're just turning the Titanic *into* the iceberg in this country now, aren't we?

July 16 2008 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply