September 20, 2014

Producers dish Desperate secrets

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 16th 2008 4:28PM
Desperate Housewives promoLast season's Desperate Housewives' finale was pretty much a game changer. The denizens of Wisteria Lane jumped five years into the future and into completely different lives. Just to recap: Gaby (Eva Longoria Parker) is a mom, Bree (Marcia Cross) is the new Martha Stewart and is back with Orson (Kyle MacLachlan), Lynette's (Felicity Huffman) sons are juvenile delinquents, Susan (Teri Hatcher) has a new man and Edie (Nicolette Sheridan) is nowhere to be found. So basically things are a little ... different. Executive producers Bob Daily and Sabrina Wind discuss just how different life on Wisteria Lane is going to be this season.

Daily says that the five year jump has allowed them to wipe the slate clean, "We keep talking about this first episode likes it's another pilot. We're starting over and each woman has a new drive now." For more information on what to expect on Desperate Housewives this season, follow me after the jump.

WARNING: SPOILERS AFTER THE JUMP

Gabrielle really is a mom. She cut her hair, which as we all know, is international shorthand for mommy-hood. She has twin girls and is basically the new Lynette. According to Daily, "Gaby's life has changed the most." Although she'll be the one dealing with hassles of parenting small children, she's still Gaby and will deal with the challenges in her own way.

Lynette's children, unsurprisingly, aren't exactly Eagle Scouts. Even though they got rid of Kayla, the crazy one, Porter and Parker aren't exactly making life easy for the Scavos. "Lynette's primary drive is going from being the mother of troublemakers to potentially juvenile delinquents to potentially incarcerated." No word on what now-8 or 9-year-old Penny is up to while her brothers are stealing cars and what-not.

Bree is probably the most content of the housewives, as she has not only reunited with her estranged husband Orson, but is also poised to become the new Martha Stewart. Daily says that, "She is going from being a local celebrity to potentially being a celebrity on a bigger scale. And her son is sort of her right-hand man slash consigliere. He's like Tom Hayden in The Godfather for her." I can only hope that a future episode features a severed horse's head.

Edie didn't stay banished for long. Not only is she back, but she's bringing along the dreamy Neal McDonough (Band of Brothers, Boomtown) with her. According to Wind, "Edie and Neal's character carry the new mystery with them."

Mike is gone! (Except not really). Susan making out with Gale Harold in the finale means what it seems: Susan and Mike are kaput. Mike, however, is still hanging around. The writer's strike left his future up in the air, but James Denton is signed up to play Mike again this season. As for what exactly happened between him and Susan, we'll just have to wait and see. All we know for sure is that he didn't accidentally murder her daughter, Julie, or anything. Andrea Bowen is also returning this season, although not as a series regular.

As much as I love the idea of Neal McDonough joining the cast and Bree building her empire, I'm really not sold on Housewives' new gimmick. If there's one thing that bothers me on shows, it's constant "will they or won't they?" nonsense when it comes to star-crossed lovers. I had hoped that Mike and Susan finally getting married and having a baby would put an end to the whole on-and-off aspect of their relationship, but I have a bad feeling that season five is going to feature a lot of Mike trying to win Susan back.

I also enjoy Gaby the way she is, in all of her stuck up, selfish glory. I don't really want to see her chasing around a couple of rugrats. Just the little bit they showed in the finale looked boring as crap to me.

What are your thoughts on the new direction Desperate Housewives is taking? Are you skeptical like I am, or do you think that this is the shot in the arm that the series needs?

AJW

I agree with the majority of the people, the five year jump and the changes makes it seem as if the show I knew is gone. The Gaby that we fell in love with was gone and somebody else was at the end of the show. We waited years to see Mike and Susan get together and through all the problems, it happened. And in an instant, it was gone. Change is hard and sometimes necessary. I hope it pans out.

August 26 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chandi

I really doubt I'm going to be watching it much this season everything just changed to much when I saw Susan making out with that guy at the end that was pretty much it for me. Her and Mikes story line is my favorite and we spent so much time waiting for them to get together it feels like a slap in the face for being a DH fan.

July 18 2008 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

Yes, I am a fan of Gale Harold and I'm excited to see such a fine actor get the shot he deserves! After watching DH this year, I think the five-year jump is a great idea! The show needs to shake off a few things and get back to basics. I trust Marc Cherry's instincts!

July 17 2008 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brittany

Apparently DH is following the lead of "One Tree Hill," which also did a five year time jump for it's fifth season, reaching the iconic 100 episode mark. We'll have to see if the time jump in Wisteria Lane is as successful as it was in Tree Hill.

July 17 2008 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrainne

I've never been a fan of DH but I think the 5 year jump was a great idea. The addition of Gale Harold just brought the show a new fan. I actually like the changes in the characters because, quite frankly, none of them ever really appealed to me. Maybe now they will hold my interest. As for Edie, she could have stayed gone.

July 17 2008 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I watch DH every Sunday... live. I was starting to take issue with the show (Mike and Susan being one... but that is for another venue) I am hoping that this 5 year jump will make me fall in love with it... all over again.

But who am I kidding?

July 17 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

Tom Hagen

July 16 2008 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I HATE THE FIVE YEAR JUMP. I feel as if the writers and producers are laughing at us for making the housewives such a hit because he basically insulted us loyal viewers. I hear that the next year after this will be a year of when mary alice was on (and no james Denton). I think i like many others will get off this sinking ship now

July 16 2008 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Although I'm excited to see Gale Harold on the show, I must say I think this game changer just made me wish I never watched the show EVER. The last five minutes of the otherwise great finale put like a knife in my back so deep that I feel like why bother? I feel as if Marc Cherry just insulted us all -- James Denton is a major part of this show and shouldn't be just pushed off to the wayside and the same with Nicolette Sheridan who thankfully is coming back. DH was the number one scripted show last season, if I'm not mistaken, and for him to do this -- is just nuts on his part. This season finally got this show good again and unfortunately I don't have enough faith that Cherry and the gang can make this work and I don't know if I want to see where it goes. I feel betrayed on some level. The OC never recovered from their game changer and I'm not sure that DH will survive this. It wasn't a cliffhanger that made me want to turn in for the season premiere, it made me say, ok, I guess this is the end of my run.

July 16 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nina

Two words: GALE freakin' HAROLD! (ok, well that's three...so sue me). . .Absolutely guarantees new viewers (such as myself,) so I guess I'd have to go with your "shot in the arm" theory.

The "secrets" the producers dished out yesterday about shooting Gale's first scene...skivvies...a little skin . . . Oh yes...CANNOT wait to see this show that I've had NO desire to watch until now.

July 16 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply