July 23, 2014

Gene Simmons to judge Jingles

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 17th 2008 12:26PM
Gene Simmons guitarI've always enjoyed jingles, you know, those catchy commercial tunes that get in your head and never leave. "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." See, after all these years, it's still there. I wonder if Gene Simmons would have liked that McDonald's jingle?

We'll soon find out what the Kiss star likes in musical commercial craftsmanship because Gene Simmons has been tapped as one of the judges on the CBS reality show Jingles. It's a competition show, from producer Mark Burnett, he of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, Survivor and The Apprentice fame. We'll just forget about the ones that didn't fly, like On the Lot (that was painful to watch), Pirate Master (unwatchable) and Rock Star: INXS (truly a train wreck).

Jingles should be pretty challenging for contestants; it's hard to fake it when it comes to writing words and lyrics. The winner gets a contract with an advertising agency and $100,000.

In addition to Gene Simmons, ad execs Linda Kaplan Thaler and Julie Roehm will make up the judging tribunal. Former American Idol performer, Kimberly Caldwell, will be the host and will undoubtedly use her pipes with the best of the jingles. Or so we hope.

As for Mr. Simmons, I'm sure he'll be blunt and brutally honest with the jingle contestants, a truly Cowell-esque performance.

For Cher's former flame, Jingles is the latest reality effort for Gene Simmons. In 2005, he did an "educational" series called Rock School for VH1, and more recently he's been starring on A&E's Gene Simmons: Family Jewels and was an early exit on NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice. I've enjoyed his non-reality work more, like his guesting on Ugly Betty as Amanda's fake daddy.

ORKMommy

I was excited about this show because I love Simmons, but then you had to tell me that Kim Caldwell is hosting. Will my love of Gene be able to overcome my loathing of Caldwell? We'll see...

July 17 2008 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Less Gene Simmons = good

July 17 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggm

I thought Rockstar: INXS was great. Supernova not so much. It is too bad that it didn't get enough ratings and was one of the most expensive "reality shows" to create of all time.

July 17 2008 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

They need to make Rock Star: House Band. The house band was awesome. The winner could go on a club tour with the house band. I didn't really care for INXS or Supercrap being on there.

July 17 2008 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
lavender1960

I enjoyed Rockstar INXS immensely myself, it sure beat American Idol, I was enticed to watch it because a friend of mine, who refuses to watch American Idol told me you have to watch Rockstar INXS, it is American Idol for adults...

however I do agree that they should do or should have done, before Avril stole Jim McGorman away, Rockstar House Band because they have to be the most awesome back up band in the history of back up bands.

July 18 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I'm pretty sure Rockstar: INXS did really well. Only Supernova was a complete bomb because it was composed of pretty much the world's most unreliable people.

July 17 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply