October 25, 2014

Monk season seven -- an early look

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 17th 2008 11:01AM

Monk returns for a seventh season on Friday, July 18thOn Friday, July 18th, the seventh season of Monk will premiere on the USA network. For some this is incredibly good news, particularly since the show will be celebrating its 100th episode come September. For others, season seven is three or four seasons too many. It's these people who think Adrian Monk should retire to a Feung Shui-styled, completely dust-free room to live out his remaining days lamenting about his lost love Trudy.

Fortunately, Tony Shalhoub doesn't want Monk to retire. In a recent interview the actor who plays the obsessive-compulsive Mr. Monk said that there is plenty more to explore about the character and the people around him. This is especially true thanks to the revelations of the season six finale, which opened up a whole new avenue for Monk to find the killer of his wife. That, and the introduction of a new therapist into Monk's life (due to the sudden death of Stanley Kamel), have the seventh season looking interesting.

Not to the point that everything changes, mind you. Fact is, the seventh season premiere looks and feels like many other Monk episodes of the past. The only major change is the introduction of Hector Elizondo as Monk's new therapist -- Dr. Bell. Well, that and the fact that Monk buys a house. See, not much has changed!

Really, it hasn't. Monk is still Monk as the season begins. He is even a bit worse for wear since the death of Dr. Kroeger. Fact is, Adrian's path throughout the premiere is led by the death of his therapist and his search for a new one. It's a good performance for Shalhoub as you see a mingled sadness and denial in the way he is dealing with his doctor's -- and his friend's -- death.

If you are anticipating a lot of interaction between Monk and the rest of the ensemble cast -- including Traylor Howard as Natalie Teeger, Ted Levine as Captain Stottlemeyer, and Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Disher -- you may be somewhat disappointed. Other than some standard scenes between them, this is pretty much a Monk-centric episode. Natalie probably has some more scenes with Monk than his police friends do, but that's due to her role in Monk's life as Gal Friday.

You won't be seeing much of Hector Elizondo's character either in this episode. Other than a few minutes at the beginning of the show and a few minutes at the end there is very little of his Dr. Bell character. So, we really don't get a feel for who the doctor is and how he will work with someone so desperate and needy as Monk. What we do see is someone who is kind and considerate to Adrian at first meeting. But, as Shalhoub said in his interview, Dr. Bell will be taking a more hard-line approach to Monk's treatment.

Who you will see quite a bit is Brad Garrett, who has a guest-starring role on the show. It's a role that you wouldn't expect from a comedian like Garrett. Then again, there have been plenty of comedic actors who have had a turn at drama once in awhile. At first, Garrett's character seems like a combination of his Eddie Stark character on 'Til Death and the sad sack Robert Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond. However, as the episode progresses, Garrett's character turns into something you don't really expect. It's an interesting turn.

As a whole, the first episode of the seventh season of Monk should be enjoyable to new and old viewers alike. It has a good mix of both comedy and drama, as well as some classic Monk-esque actions. It's a good start to a season that will be important for the character in one form or another.

PJ

So far this season has been very disappointing. The eppys have veered between dreadful to mediocre.

August 23 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty Wilson

I have watched Monk since the beginning and found it refreshing in concept from the perfect detectives of the past.
However, the first episode of this season left me hanging in mid air. There was no closure to the house Monk bought. In the first place he and Natalie looked like idiots when they sat by and let the house be destroyed. Then, Mr. Monk was happily home. --- He bought the house, what happened to it? It was wrecked. Did he have to pay damages? To protect my sanity, I imagined that he was awarded a finders fee and paid off his debt with that. Did the writers mean to leave this hanging with no closure?

August 04 2008 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

You know, I just realized the other day that Ted Levine (Stottlemeyer) was Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. I was flipping through channels and the movie came on (right as Agt. Starling is talking to Bill in the kitchen of the house)... I can't believe I never made the connection before. I guess I hadn't seen Silence of the Lambs since Monk came on the air.

July 17 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I am a Monkophile. I love the show. I really didn't like Sharona, and think Natalie is SO much better. I can watch this show every day. A Marathon? Oh, I'm there. I worry about the guy. His love for Trudy is awesome, although it would, I admit, drive me bonkers. Natalie is so good with him, while Sharona was kind of mean. I will miss Dr. K, and really hope Dr. B works out. Seriously, an all Monk channel would make me complete. Ok, throw in Psych and House, and I will never leave my TV Room.

July 17 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj green's comment
Joey Geraci

Oh my god, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sharona stood up to him, actually had something to say, and just overall, was a 10000 times more interesting character than Natalie. Every time she is on the screen, I cringe. I still watch for the Tony Shaloub's occasional brilliant moments as Monk, but they are growing fewer and farther between as the show wears on.

July 17 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

"Monk" is still a good show. I think the supporting cast is good but this series has always been about Monk. When Sharona left there were viewers who said, "I'm not watching the show anymore", wonder if some viewers are saying the same regarding the loss of Stanley Kamel. I think the supporting characters are expendable to a certain degree, this show shines a big spotlight on Tony Shaloub's fantastic portrayal of this broken man.

July 17 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KamenRiderTakoyaki

I hope it keeps going strong. Maybe this will be our generation's Matlock or Murder She Wrote.

July 17 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

This show needs to progress though. The whole "Breakthrough-setback" formula is getting tired.

July 17 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply