October 24, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 8 Revealed

by Kristin Sample, posted Jul 18th 2008 9:52AM
Kherrington and Mark doing the Country Two-Step (S04E17) Well, we've certainly moved on to the next part of the competition. America decides. And we don't have to listen to cranky Nigel or that lunatic Mary anymore. Lil C, however, I will listen to. I thought he was a great judge last night. And his comments tonight were good, too. Speaking of Wednesday night, the big announcement was that Comfort would be replacing Jessica (who has a couple broken ribs).

But we got another big announcement last night -- So You Think You Can Dance received four Emmy nominations. The make-up team was nominated as well as three choreographers. Wade Robson's Hummingbird & Flower piece got a nod as did Mandy Moore's Table routine (the one to "Sweet Dreams") and Shane Sparks' Transformers number to "Fuego." Mia Michaels is crying in corner somewhere. You'll get 'em next year Mia.I put that Shane Sparks routine below because I didn't include it in any of my "Best Of SYTYCD" posts. Here it is:

Okay, enough reminiscing. Let's get to last night's show.

OPENING PERFORMANCE

The opening Bollywood number to "JBJ" by Jhoom Barabar Jhoom was good but could've been excellent. The music and the colors and the tone of the number called for a lot more energy from the top ten dancers. Some "got" it. But some really didn't "get" it. Of course Joshua, Katee and Will threw themselves into the piece and looked very comfortable. But Courtney (who I love, I really do), Gev, and Twitch looked stiff. You'd think Twitch and Gev, two people with stellar musicality and hip-hop backgrounds, would have caught onto the movement better.

Comfort and Twitch doing hip hop. THE RESULTS

Chelsea [SAFE]
Comfort [BOTTOM TWO]
Katee [SAFE]
Courtney [SAFE]
Kherrington [BOTTOM TWO]

Joshua [SAFE]
Will [SAFE]
Mark [BOTTOM TWO]
Gev [BOTTOM TWO]
Twitch [SAFE]

THE GIRLS ROUTINE

Mia Michaels choreographed a number for the girls "Ave Maria" by Celine Dion. Ahh, the magic of the Celine. I liked this number a lot. And I got it! I finally got it. The beginning on the edge of the stage was brilliant. And kudos to those fallen angels for being both emotionally available to the piece and almost completely in sync. Cat pointed out that Mia was "crying like a baby" after they finished. Tears of joy. (Or more tears over the Emmys. Who can say, really?)

THE BOYS ROUTINE

This piece was great, too. And it was choreographed by Nigel Lythgoe (Wha-What?). Yeah, you read that correctly. Nigel "Mr. Showrunner" Lythgoe put together a dance to "Five Guys Named Moe" by Joe Jackson. The choreography was good and the guys had fun with it. It had lots of different formations and their staging was well-rehearsed. But what was with those costumes? Was the costume department rebelling because they didn't get an Emmy nod?

THE SOLOS

Comfort
danced to "Egypt, Egypt" by The Egyptian Lover. I don't tire of watching Comfort in her own style. She's fantastic. She did have that one flop a few weeks back; but now she's ready to compete. I thought it was unfortunate that they couldn't change her hair quickly. The farmer's daughter braids didn't go well with her hard-hitting hip-hop piece.

Mark danced to "Black Betty" by Ram Jam. He chooses great songs, but I'm beginning to think that he chooses songs that are bigger than he is. His solo on Wednesday to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" felt bland partially because that song is incredible. If you choose to dance to such an iconic piece of music, you have to bring your choreography and performance to that level.

Kherrington performed to "MyPhilosophy" by Inner. She was good but a little defeated after her first bad night on the show the day before. I loved when she pushed her entire body off the ground on the tops of her feet. What strength. Lil C gave her a reality check about her immature behavior on Wednesday's show. Not that she was terrible, but the Crump king reminded her that showing her frustration to America probably wasn't the best move.

Gev showed his stuff to "Feeling Good" by Michael Bublé. And I think that's the first and last time a breaker will dance to Michael freaking Bublé. It was original though, I'll give him that. Moreover the song gave him lots of time to get into some of those harder tricks.

THE ELIMINATIONS

Cat read the girls elimination first. A surprised Comfort said, "What? What? What?" as she hugged an eliminated Kherrington. Kherrington took it well, but I have to agree with Lil C. She acted a little babyish last night when the judges didn't like her performances. I winced a bit when she told the cameras, "The judges hate me." (No, the judges hated Jessica.)

Then Cat announced that Gev was going home. I can't believe it! We need a breaker in this competition. I wanted Mark to leave so badly. I think he's done all he can do on this show. Poor Courtney was crying while watching Gev's video package.

Was it Kherrington's time to go?
No, Comfort should have left.507 (69.7%)
Yes, she was done.220 (30.3%)

Gilly

I was really surprised kherington got voted off and i'm sad Gev did cause he was my favourite guy... I did think that he and Courtney made a better couple but still

July 22 2008 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larissa

Kherington was my favorite, I was so sad when she left... now I have to root for my second fave, Katee...

I cryed when Gev left... you are right, we do need a breaker... oh well...

who is gonna take it in the end???

July 20 2008 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I didn't like either Comfort or Kherington, so either could have gone. With Kherington, the judges absolutely gushed over her for weeks (not in the same way as they do with Katee, though - her compliments were mostly about how pretty she was, how her smile was radiant, how she could be on tv/movies) and ignored mistakes that she made.

And finally, on Wednesday, they critiqued her without sugar-coating... and she whined about the judges hating her. So I was glad to see her go. Maybe other people like her for how pretty she supposedly is, but it's a dance competition. Being pretty is not enough.

As for the guys, I thought Gev was probably the most evolved of them. I think they said another guy was (Joshua?), but I think it is Gev. He's a breaker and yet, did not look completely out of place when doing ballroom or contemporary. They commented that Chelsie carried him during the jive (was that the dance they did?), etc, but I honestly did not see that. He carried his own, and if the judges stopped gushing over Chelsie (the same way they did with Kherington), maybe they would notice how good Gev was.

And I totally noticed her family's sour expressions!

July 19 2008 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Genesis

I must confess that I'm a little bit devastated that Kherington has been eliminated. I was slack-jawed at her audition, thought her performances in Vegas were well-done, and though I agree with the judges' comment that she always 'just gets by' with the dances she does when they spoke to her before announcing her participation in the top 20 Vegas week, I honestly thought she would have gone further in the competition.

I'm a wee bit happy Jessica is gone for now. Do I feel teensy bit guilty that I am? A little. But going back to her time and time again obvious mess-ups, especially in the disco routine she did with Will a few weeks ago... I'm a little glad she's gone.

and Comfort...

If I were comfort I would go all out and try-extra hard just because she has this once-in-a-lifetime second chance at STYTYCD. And personally, watching her performances... she's not stepping it up yet.

For the guys- yes, Gev was spectacular, but I think that Mark will continue to grow as a dancer, and will be more pliable for dance in the future of the show.

Gev had some amazing moments, but his time came to a halt, and I'm not about to argue with America.

July 18 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

I hope everybody knows that Nigel Lythgoe is, in fact, a choreographer, and went so far as to choreographing an entire movie!

Unfortunately, that movie was "The Apple," one of the weirdest films of the last 30 years. Here's a sample:

Here's the opening scene:

And here's the glorious(ly awful) trailer:

And Ms. Sample, it's "krump," not "crump."

July 18 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MarcDom7's comment
Emily

Our man Nigel can sing and dance, too. Check him out with his bad poncho and stick!

July 23 2008 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

She (Kherrington) deserved to go, she just wasn't anywhere near the level she needed to be to stay. She's had a lot more negatives that the judges glossed over ("you need to stay in character") and had nothing special about her. Being pretty simply isn't enough. She brought Twitch down, and she brought Mark down...she deserved to go. Comfort next. For the guys, I think Will should go, but Mark probably will. Joshua is the best, and Gev was really good too. Honestly, it should just be 3 girls and 5 guys next week.

July 18 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally

Check out Spunky Bean's SYTYCD recap!

July 18 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I noticed Cat's slip too. Nigel did try to cover it up as best as he could, but he didn't quite do it. I wasn't shocked to see either go home last night. Anything can happen in the weeks ahead, and just because one does well one week, it doesn't mean they will be there next. America can be fickle. We've seen that with American Idol.

July 18 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Did anyone notice how completely PISSED Kherrington's family looked after they made the announcement? My guess is they feel a little cheated about the whole coup with Comfort coming back. I mean if it came down to Kherrington and Jessica in the bottom two, I can't imagine Kherrington would have been eliminated.
They showed Gev's family several times and they seemed to take the news OK, but the camera only stayed on Kherrington's sour folks for like a second and then we didn't see them again...I guess the producers didn't like their reaction.
I didn't really think about it before, but to be honest, this kind of reaction is really similar to Kherrington's "The judges hate me" reaction to constructive criticism. Guess it runs in the family.

July 18 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann's comment
Netra

My suggestion would have been for Ms. Kherrington to really step it up. I mean you have a dancer coming back getting a second chance and you don't step up even a little bit?

July 24 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I guess I'm in the minority, but I can't stand comfort. She can't perform in any style but her own even competently, and I'm not terribly impressed with her when she is dancing hip-hop. What she does is ok but it is the same every time, nothing I want to see over and over again. I also thing Kherington was the victim of two mediocre numbers last night. First of all, even if she had dance the two-step flawlessly, how would we know? None of the judges is qualified to even comment on the dance. It was the same situation as the bollywood routine from the previous week. How can you critique a style that you don't understand? The jazz number that she drew was choreographed exactly as Nigel mentioned, it had all of the requisite moves to make it a jazz number but there was no story, nothing for Kherington to really sink her teeth into. I think it's a shame that the show turns into a popularity contest at this point, Comfort clearly deserved to go home last night, Kherington is clearly the better dancer.

Having said all of that, it doesn't matter because a guy will win this season; it's a shame that each week it has to be a boy and a girl because the men are stronger by an order of magnitude!

July 18 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chris's comment
Netra

If that's the case then they should only show hip hop routines when there are hip hop judges on the panel. I mean seriously.

July 18 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

ditto what Netra said. i mean, this competition is for America's fav dancer, not best dancer. and if that were the case, they wouldn't leave the top ten to be judged by the viewers.

that being said, i totally agree with last nights decision. Comfort and Mark are way more entertaining that Kherington and Gev. well, not really Gev, but a guy has to be eliminated.

July 19 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply