August 29, 2014

Some new teaser posters for the Star Trek movie

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 18th 2008 4:26PM

Zachery QuintoSince it's Star Trek Week here at TV Squad (the original series, that is), I thought I'd post the first official teaser poster ads for the movie that show what Chris Pine and Zachery Quinto look like as James. T. Kirk and Spock.

Now, it's wrong to judge a book by its cover, or in this case a movie from a teaser poster. But if we can judge the movie on the casting of one of the major parts and/or the makeup used on that actor, then this movie looks awesome. Quinto (Sylar on Heroes) is a terrific choice to play a younger Spock. I say "younger" and not "young" because Quinto is only a few years younger than Leonard Nimoy was when he debuted as Spock on NBC in the 60s. There's not a lot of info about the plot of the movie, only that it takes place before the original show and involves Starfleet, so I'm not sure exactly how young Kirk and Spock are supposed to be (plus we're talking about a half Vulcan here so getting into those details are probably pointless).

But what about the guy playing Kirk?

Chris PineKirk is being played by Chris Pine, son of actor Robert Pine (CHiPs) and previously known for small movies and guest roles on TV shows. I'm not sure why they made him look darker and serious in the poster. He looks half Vulcan himself in the pic. Kirk is all-American Midwest, and this makes him look a little devilish. Is Kirk a bad guy in the movie? I kid.

Still, the movie looks like it could be a lot of fun and actually jump start the Trek franchise again. I trust JJ Abrams, even if not everything he has a hand in turns to gold. He's a talented guy with the heart of a geek, and you need that with Star Trek.

Double G

Chris's Father Robert Pine was also on an Episode of Star Trek Voyager.....

July 18 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jun

Yeah, I seriously saw Spock in that pic before I saw Quinto. Great casting.

July 18 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jun's comment
StillBash

That's because you only see half of his face. And because there are posters with Nimoy that look the same.

If they'd axed Heroes after season one it might have worked for me but this movie will come out after season 3 of heroes aired and I don't really understand how they can put somebody from a currently running sci-fi show on a Trek movie. He's Sylar at the moment. I have a problem with that.

July 19 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

That's exactly the look I would expect on a young Kirk who had just reprogrammed the computer to beat the Kobayashi Maru senario.

July 18 2008 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ric Kaysen's comment
Joey Geraci

Yea, I guess, but I still think the look is stupid. This is James Tiberius fracking Kirk, and he looks like a 12 year old who was caught with his hand in the cookie jar in that poster.

I like the Spock poster, anyway.

July 18 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I know what the movie is about. It explains, why, Captain Kirk, talks the way he does It's just a guess, but, the likely hood is. Highly probable.

July 18 2008 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply