November 1, 2014

Wizard's First Rule to premiere in November

by Brett Love, posted Jul 18th 2008 12:39PM

Terry Goodkind - Wizard's First RuleIt's taken a couple years, as we first posted about the series in August 2006, but Sam Raimi's adaptation of the Terry Goodkind books will finally be beaming into our televisions the weekend of November 1, 2008. That's about as specific as anyone can be, because this is a syndicated series. We'll all have to check our local listings. The good news though, is that Disney-ABC says they have cleared the show in 95% of the country.

The press release mentions that Raimi and his partners, Rob Tapert, Joshua Donen, Ned Nalle, and Kenneth Biller are the team behind Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Why they continue to excise Cleopatra 2525 from that list remains a mystery to me.

The series will kick off with a two-hour premiere and Raimi describes it by saying, "The amazing characters and heartfelt story, combined with the captivating backdrop of New Zealand, will have viewers on the edge of their seats." I'm pretty much in the bag for anything Raimi is involved in, so I'll be watching. Wizard's First Rule could be that something to watch on Saturday night we're all looking for.

Chrysee

I read this series in high school but stopped after book 6 because well.. it just got a little bad. Now that the series is over I may try to finish it. Still looking forward to A Song of Ice and Fire infinitely more though.

But for both of them, is there going to be heavy editing of content? Or is it just going to be the most gory, rape-filled thing ever?

July 19 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcus

i love the series and i can't wait for it to come out. i always wished that it would come out on tv. i thought all the books kicked ass. i have two sets of the series on for reading and the other for my collection of novels. all i can say is that i don't understand why anyone would say negative things about the series. if anybody wants to say something about it they can call me at 256-633-1579
thanks

July 19 2008 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I have read just about all of this series. (I believe that I did not read the last 2, because of not getting around to it.)

The story, in the beginning, is AWESOME, but I am just curious how they are going to run the series. Is the entire first season going to just be "Wizard's First Rule"? There are 11 novels in all in the Sword of Truth series to date.

Either way, I'm going to begin re-reading this series, and I cannot wait for November 1st!!

July 18 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim's comment
Eric

Tim, I am also a fan of this series, I loved the first book, then it started to decline, until Faith of the Fallen, then it declined again, but the last three books are amazing, especially the last one. I liked the way Goodkind ended it, he tied what happened at the end of the first book, into the last one.

July 18 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don-Don

I'm looking forward to A Song of Ice and Fire coming to HBO so much more than this. I can only hope for someone to bring Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen to any sort of screen, big or small, live-action or animated/CGI.

July 18 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

It's been a while since I watched a syndicated series...Star Trek: DS9 I think. I hope my part of the country isn't in the 5% that isn't covered.

July 18 2008 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply