October 1, 2014

Jay Leno's exit from NBC

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 21st 2008 1:48PM
Jay standingGoodbye, Jay -- you don't mind if we push you out of the chair, do you? If you thought NBC made a mess of the David Letterman/Jay Leno replacement switch-off back in 1992, then you might find it not very surprising that the hand off from Jay (I don't want to go) Leno to Conan O'Brien is portending to be just as sticky.

According to TV Week, NBC is poised to announce the official Jay Leno departure from The Tonight Show and Conan O'Brien arrival today. Our man at the TCA, Joel Keller, could have all the details later on, so keep checking back with TV Squad.

Reportedly, Leno will be exiting in late May, possibly on the anniversary of the date he took the chair from Johnny Carson, May 25. Carson's last Tonight Show was May 22, 1992; Jay's tenure commenced on Monday, May 25. The problem with re-creating that symmetry in 2009 is that those dates are Memorial Day weekend.

A bigger question that's still floating out there is exactly what the end game is for Jay Leno? In a USA Today interview last week, Leno declared that he was through with NBC. NBC continues to deny that. They claim that Leno will land somewhere else in their universe. Aaron Barnhart interviewed Rick Ludwin of NBC and he claimed, "What he meant to say was, 'I'm through with The Tonight Show."

If you check out the rest of the article, there are still many questions about Jay's future. For now, stand by for more news and details coming later today.

Gerri

Justin
What on earth do you see in Conan?
He is so goofy and flighty.
Not funny at all.

July 22 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

NBC will be S O R R Y.
They really messed up on this one.
Putting Conan is Jay's seat is like putting a rookie
in for a MVP.

July 22 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

Ditto.
I agree with you.

July 22 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

NBC made a huge mistake.
Jay will do fine wherever he goes.
NBC is the loser.

July 22 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

Ditto

July 22 2008 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

I agree with you. NBC made a major mistake trading Jay for an air head. I wish Jay well in his future and I am sure he will have a future with ABC or one of the other networks. NBC will be sorry.

July 22 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I know humor is subjective but Leno isn't funny to anyone that has any sense of humor beyond obvious gags. To boot, he has NO interview skills. There's a reason that young, hip stars go onto Conan and not on The Tonight Show. Leno and The Tonight Show are out of touch in the worst possible way.

July 21 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne pond

The Tonight Show will lose another viewer....I think Conan is the most over-rated comedian (?)--so full of himself, always upstaging his guests--I can't imagine how anyone would want to watch him! And Jay is everything he isn't.

July 21 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to anne pond's comment
Gerri

Amen

July 22 2008 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

Most viewers won't watch NBC.
I will watch ABC or what ever network Jay goes to.
Conan acts too stupid for me. The teeny boppers might think he is funny but the adults will follow Jay.

July 22 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I really hope that Leno goes to ABC. He and Kimmel will slaughter NBC. Believe me, if Leno's viewers were only over 50 there's no way he'd beat Letterman.

July 21 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to miller980's comment
Gerri

Ditto

July 22 2008 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brin

Really? I think NBC is making an incredibly stupid move. I can't stand Conan O'Brien, and will probably not watch the Tonight Show again. I think this is the beginning of the end for the Tonight Show.

July 21 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply