April 16, 2014

Nina Tassler responds to Moonlight fans ... sort of - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 21st 2008 10:21AM
Nina TasslerAfter I posted about what CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler said about Moonlight the other day -- namely that the campaign to save it was "actor-driven" instead of show-driven -- angry comments came in from all the "loyal" fans of the show out there (I put the word "loyal" in quotes because Moonlight fans make the Jericho fans look cool and collected). Most of those fans said that Tassler was a liar. One even went so far to attach the b-word to his invective. You'd have thought that Tassler drained these people's 401(k)'s and skipped off to Central America.

Anyway, I caught up with Tassler at the CBS party that night, and I told her about the comments I was getting. When I speculated that I didn't even think the Jericho fans were that passionate, she retorted, "I think they were. The Jericho fans ... I spent a lot of time looking the blogs and the website. Look, I don't want to say Moonlight fans weren't fans of the show. They were. But in sort of sifting through all of it (the e-mails, etc.) it was very much about 'our vampire, Alex (O'Laughlin).'" When I mentioned that some of the comments were pretty ugly, she just looked at me and said, "It's not a pretty business."

Suzanne

I worked my entire schedule around watching MOONLIGHT.
And yes, I do have a life but the unbelievably exciting show was a must in my TV viewing. As a big fan of vampire lore, I found the characters so very compelling. At last I had my very own Lestat and Luis (Ann Rice characters) that I could follow each and every week. This would have been big, but I think since it hadn't quite caught on, the interruption of the writers' strike was not good. I beg someone to pick up this series. With time, it would be a tremendous success

September 19 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynne

You know I HATE CBS!!! I'm not surprised they took off MOONLIGHT. I remember years back when AMERICAN GOTHIC was on, which was another great show, that got canned too! I guess the execs from CBS are so narrowminded they don't notice how many people enjoy these type of shows! If they had half a brain they'd bring back MOONLIGHT and FAST!! There are plenty of STUPID so called comedys that could easily be replaced! I used to look forward to my Friday nights watching Ghost Whisperer (thank god THATS still around for now) and then Moonlight. Hey CBS....you really screwed up this time!

August 13 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene K

All Nina Tassler is doing is lying to take the heat off herself. Typical "idiot at the top" as was previously quoted in this blog!

August 03 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrRoarke

MoonlightChances wrote:
"It is insulting to be dismissed as squeeing fan girls, and not given even a thank you from CBS for being loyal and supportive fans of Moonlight."
"I am disappointed that she really did not give us the respect we earned and deserved as consumers of her product."
"We helped CBS in the ratings, and it would be nice to be treated with respect."

Hate to this this, but that's incredibly arrogant of you. At the end of the day the network doesn't owe you anything. You only needed to watch the show. Anything else, from a business perspective, is irrelevant. Your additional efforts MAY have brought in new viewers but that only implies the show's premise was limited to begin with. It is, after all, tough to sell a show "about vampires" to any non-genre fan.

Christy wrote
"We need to change the system too. Nielsen ratings are outdated and false, yet TV shows live and die by their incorrect numbers."

TV shows are hugely expensive to produce. How are you proposing to "change the system" ?
Should the TV in evey US home be fitted with a monitoring device to better detail viewing habits? The privacy advocates would be up in arms.
Should advertising be ditched completely and all programming be pay-per-view? Most people think their TV content should be free.
Should we adopt a public funded broadcast system like the UK? That only works if you want your "seasons" to be just 6 or 8 episodes long.
Unfortunately there is no magic alternative to the present system. You're going to have to live with it for the forseeable future.

Lorie wrote:
"How has this woman kept her job for this long?!"
Cobby wrote:
"This woman is so full of shi!...I'm sick and tired of seeing and reading her name."
Oreo wrote:
"She sounds like a bitch to me."
Merve-The-Perve wrote:
"Do you know how to tell when Nina Tassler is lying? Her lips are moving."
Christy wrote:
"This woman is still lying and making fun of the millions of Moonlight fans."

Instead of all of you bitching and moaning about Nina Tassler's attitude, perhaps you should focus on something over which you might have some influence: the viewing habits of your TV watching friends.

1. Persuade your non-genre friends to try something different.
2. Remind them to watch their favourite shows live (or seek out online, ad-supported streaming)
3. Discourage downloading unless they intend to follow up with a DVD purchase.
4. Tell them to start their TV watching at the beginning of the season, not wait "in case a show is cancelled". That's clearly a double-edged sword.

Hanne Raymond wrote:
"With so much Crap on TV (ie: Cavemen,realty @ Nauseam) would it hurt to let a Solid, Charming,Suspenseful,Romantic Show grow it's viewership? Just a thought CBS."

Problem with that scenario is: IT COSTS MONEY. Gone are the days when slow building genre shows could be supported by the network's more popular fare. Nowadays they need to find success quickly. For that you should blame today's fragmented TV landscape, not CBS's business decisions.

July 27 2008 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MrRoarke's comment
StormChaser

We're not upset because we lost our show, we're upset because every time someone mentions it to Nina she gives some pathetic excuse that is different from the one she told before. She's been lying since she cancelled the show and she keeps on lying. THAT'S WHY WE'RE UPSET!

September 20 2008 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hanne Raymond

July 27 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lyncraven

The woman is an idiot. I expect she makes a ton of money, but she is a perfect example of the "idiot at the top" which those of us who work in corporate America experience every day. First of all, who cares if we watched for Alex or for the whole show? We watched, isn't that what the networks wanted? Second, of COURSE she hasn't read up on this. If she had she could not have failed to see that the character of Mick was what we loved. Alex played him to perfection, but many of us (although we respect his talent) were Mick fans rather than Alex fans and this was a small ensemble. I know for a fact that, much as I like Alex, if this idiot of a network exec put him in CSI, I wouldn't watch it. CSI is mindless, repetitive twaddle and even Alex couldn't redeem it. I know this for a fact because after I discovered Alex and Moonlight I tried watching "his" episodes of "The Shield" and he didn't make we like the show any better (don't get me wrong - great show, just not my kind of thing) and my point here is that Alex -- while gorgeous, appealing and a great actor -- wasn't the draw. It was the escape, the fantasy, the love story, the humor, the idea of immortality. Probably concepts a little to deep for a Ms Tassler... after all look what they DO consider good programmed over there.

July 27 2008 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tagrhm

I dont know why people keep comparing us to Jericho fans. Yes we are both fighting for a show we love and I give major credit to the Jericho fans as an inspiration to Moonlight viewers. They've supported us and have been very generous.

As to Nina's remarks, if you have get the opportunity to speak with her again, tell her she should have read all the mail not just a few. Also as a great blogger who never seen Moonlight said unless Alex is a vampire in real life asking for their favorite vampire isn't asking for the person Alex but the character Mick St. John. Now I give Alex credit for making Mick so enjoyable to watch but I have to tell you its the ensemble cast that kept me going back time after time. I watched the first episode as a lark, during it Mick looked at Beth as if she was the only woman in the entire world. I was like wow. Sophia Myles was absolutly awesome at bringing the viewer into the relationship with Mick, becoming the avatar for everyone woman that watched the show. Almost every quotable line in the show was given by Jason Dohring. He stole every scene he was in as Mick's vamp mentor. Its a discredit to the entire cast and shows that Nina never really watched the show to dismiss them.
There has been talk about Alex going to CSI, I like Alex but I want my Mick. I also expect a company I give business to will treat me with respect and value my business. CBS has not done this so I will go elsewhere. I have blocked the channel and will not unblock it unless Moonlight returns as a tv movie or mini-series if not the series itself. I am 39 yrs old and I know what I want. I want Moonlight not just Alex O'Loughlin.

July 25 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divastar

I do not know if the fans will ever know exactly why Moonlight was cancelled but I do not think it was about ratings. Many show on CBS have poorer ratings so thats not all. The new shows CBS is trying is not working that well ....sooo how about Moonlight reruns to bring back 8 million viewers this summer? Not rocket science ...you think.

July 23 2008 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

I think our words are wasted because Ms Tassler is still not listening and I still think she is only repeating what Moonves is saying behind closed doors.

July 22 2008 at 6:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

The more I reflect on the actor-driven or actor-centric comments, the less sense they make. Jericho and Moonlight are two totally different type shows. Jericho had a very large cast whereas Moonlight has three (or four) main characters and the show revolved around them. Fans have been asking CBS to renew Moonlight. They haven't been saying "Who cares about Moonlight. I just want to see more of these actors." They are talented actors and I hope their careers thrive, but for right now we want Moonlight back with the same cast.

July 22 2008 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply