April 20, 2014

Lifetime to honor Estelle Getty this Friday

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 23rd 2008 10:38AM

Golden Girls

Lifetime is going to honor Estelle Getty, who died yesterday at the age of 84, with a marathon of Golden Girls episodes.

The 10 episode marathon will start at noon this Friday with the pilot episode (the Sophia character looked a lot different in the first few episodes, if I remember correctly). The episodes have been picked because they focus on Sophia.

Fans will get a chance to vote on which episode ends the marathon, the episode they think shows Getty and Sophia the best. MyLifetime.com has narrowed down it down to five episodes: "It's A Miserable Life," "Sisters," "Old Friends," "My Brother, My Father," and "Old Boyfriends." And if you don't know the plots by the episode titles (you'd have to be a Golden Girls fanatic for that), the site gives you a quick synopsis of each one.

"Old Friends" is a good episode, but it centers on a character having Alzheimer's, and that now seems like a sad reminder of what happened to Getty. Looking at the eps, I'm not even sure if those are the best choices. The best Sophia moments actually came in episodes that didn't feature her in the main storyline.

[via Pop Candy]

yourstarla

Favorite moments:

1. When she tells the girls the insane story of the penniless Spanish painter that paints her portrait and she's offended that it looks nothing like her. That painter? Pablo Picasso.
2. The time she's trying to come up with a talent for a talent show and she tries out various talents, including a horrid take on "Thanks for the Memories" called "Thanks for the Medicare".
3. Sonny and Cher
4. Her and Blanche fighting over the same man - Blanche trying to entice him and says she's going to go sit in a tub with barely enough water to cover her perky bossoms, or something like that, and Sophia says "You're only gonna sit in an inch of water?"

There really are so many - I know I'll hit add comment and think of something better. She really made that show. And obviously I've watched it way too much. That's how we spent a large chunk of our college years.

July 24 2008 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Thanks for the scoop. I'll program my DVR. Two favorite Sophia scenes that stand out to me: 1) after Dorothy tells Sophia she's going to re-marry Stan, Sophia said "I see. Excuse me.". She then proceeds to put her head in the microwave and 2) when she and Dorothy dressed up as Sonny and Cher.

July 23 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

Lifetime needs to do a FULL marathon - over the weekend or at night. Most of us work and the time slot they have the "marathon" scheduled for currently is from 12pm to 5pm on Friday. GG has touched a lot of people and we'd all like to see the marathon. Doesn't make sense!

July 23 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Only 5 hours? All Lifetime shows is Will and Grace, Reba, and Still Standing. Instead of showing them all day they should be showing at least 12 hours of Golden Girls.

I personally love the episode where the girls get thrown in jail for prostitution and then Sophia goes down and she wants a ticket to some show. Her line of "I know that! I can't believe the police are stupid enough to think anyone would pay to have sex with you".

July 23 2008 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I wasn't thrilled with the choices either, although any episode of GG is great! My personal favorite Sophia episode is the one where she's dating Caesar Romero and Blanche does the makeover on her. Out she comes in high heels and a much larger bosom. Classic comeback from Dorothy: "Ma, are you in there?"

July 23 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply