April 21, 2014

X-Files: Aliens, conspiracy and quotes

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jul 23rd 2008 9:24AM
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as Mulder and ScullyThe X-Files was a one-of-a-kind, groundbreaking show. It took the typical FBI detective show and spun it, but good. Add some aliens and government conspiracy and you've done one better than a weekly FBI caper.

And the extraterrestrial and supernatural make for some good quotes, starting with the pilot, when Scully refers to Mulder by his nickname from the academy: "Spooky Mulder."

Or how about Mulder's understatement of the millennium: " ... in most of my work, the laws of physics rarely seems to apply."

A much more dedicated fan than myself has put together a list of quotes from seven seasons of X-Files, episode by episode.

Another favorite of mine, poking fun at Mulder's, shall we say, eccentric tendencies, from season four, episode 18:

MULDER: Do you know where she is?
SCULLY: In a mental institution.
MULDER: I'd, I'd go with you, but I'm, I'm afraid they'd lock me up.
SCULLY: Me too.

If you would like to focus on some of the funnier quotes from the X-Files, Planet Claire has some gems that really show off Mulder's dry sense of humor:

SCULLY: Oh my God, Mulder. It smells like ... I think it's bile.
MULDER: Is there any way I can get it off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?

Go ahead, betray your cool exterior and gush over your favorite X-Files moments with us!

weez

From Bad Blood when Scully finds Mulder drugged on the floor:
s: "Mulder? Are you okay?"
m: in a low souful singing voice - "Who's the black private dick who's a sex machine with all the chicks?"
(falsetto) Shaft!

July 24 2008 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

Scully: Mulder, have you ever thought about dying?

Mulder: Yeah, I went to the Ice Capades once.

July 24 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gbusters84

From Bad Blood (5x12):

"I've prepared some slides with which to better illustrate." - Mulder (trying to prove to Scully that vampires are real.)

July 23 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Agreed, loved those quotes on Planet Claire. Really took me back.

July 23 2008 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

The quotes on Planet Claire are great! I loved this show and as I read them could remember each scene well. Great primer for the movie!

Cigarette-Smoking Man: Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for.

I, to this day, cannot see him as anything else.

July 23 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I, to this day, cannot see him as anything else.

July 23 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'the whammy.' - Scully, Pusher S03E17

July 23 2008 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply