August 23, 2014

Torchwood series three is a go - UPDATE - Comic-Con Report

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jul 24th 2008 4:31PM
torchwood panel
As part of the Torchwood panel, it was announced that a series three of Torchwood was given a greenlight just this morning. It will of course air first in the UK, then will come to the US shortly afterwards.

Check back for more news later on the Torchwood panel and more.

UPDATE: The real news is that it's been picked up by BBC America. Press release follows. Also, sonds like it's only five episodes.

Comic-Con, San Diego - BBC AMERICA today announced the acquisition of the highly anticipated season three of its hit sci-fi series, Torchwood. The highest rating show in the history of BBC AMERICA will return to the channel with five all-new episodes in 2009.

Torchwood (S3 5 x 60) is a BBC production distributed by BBC Worldwide.

The award-winning show, which received huge critical acclaim for season one and two, will premiere on BBC AMERICA shortly after the UK premiere.

Richard De Croce, Senior Vice President, Programming, BBC Worldwide America said, "Captain Jack is coming back to BBC America and we can't wait! Torchwood really represents the essence of the channel - it's sexy, action packed and a little bit subversive. Clearly our viewers love it as much as we do."

Created by Russell T Davies, lead writer and executive producer on the current Doctor Who, the dark, wild and sexy sci-fi drama follows the adventures of a team of investigators who use scavenged alien technology to solve present day crime – both human and alien. Led by the enigmatic Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman), the Torchwood team are separate from the government, outside the police and beyond the United Nations. Torchwood sets its own rules, delving into the unknown and fighting the impossible.

Gwendolyn

I'm grateful for the 5 episodes to come, but still...I would prefer more! more! more!!!

August 06 2008 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Listen I am not one bit happy with Torchwood only doing 5 episodes next year. That is not even a series. And NO it's not better than nothing at all. I think this move by the BBC is doing to put a nail in Torchwoods coffin. I am old enough to know that the BBC has done this before to shows. That is what happened to the original Dr. Whow series. I seem them doing that to Torchwood now. They say one thing then get all upset when ratings is down. Doing this 5 episode thing is not going to work and no the fans are not going to be happy with this. And most will not see it as better than nothing.

July 25 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

Apparently Freema has signed up for a new drama series so will not be in Torchwood (from Digital Spy)

July 25 2008 at 5:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

Like others here, I'm glad to get more Torchwood. But I don't think fans should be boot-kissing grateful for "anything." Just because Doctor Who will have a shortened 6th series doesn't mean Torchwood should have to suffer the same fate. If David Tennant wants to take a breather to pursue other creative avenues, that's cool. Doesn't mean Torchwood has to as well. The shows aren't joined at the hip. From the hints I've read, John Barrowman and Eve Myles aren't happy with the decision, and neither am I.

July 25 2008 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I'm happy we're getting more Capt. Jack and crew - although the BBC's handling of it doesn't seem too encouraging with a five episode order - but the real question for some of us Yanks is does this deal also include airings on HDNet? I watched the first two seasons in HD, so I would love to be able to see the next five episodes there as well. I've heard this five episode rumor since series two concluded and I've also heard BBC is going to tone it down to make it more kid friendly. One rumor has come true, I hope the second does not!

July 24 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lucyfan62's comment
ManfromLINDA

The reason for the 5 episodes is because the BBC saves an ernormous amount of money by producing Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures out of the same studio with primarily the same crew. Without the mother show on the air the BBC simply isn't willing to invest so heavily for less product. The "event television" tag is mainly an excuse. It will be interesting to see what they do with the format, with one story being told over 5 consecutive nights though.

July 24 2008 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Martha's character is a wooden stick, I'm not sure if it's her acting or bad writing, but I'm going with her acting.

I hope she dies soon, someone is still supposed to die.

July 24 2008 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

Better than nothing, but it is a drag for such a diminishing return.

Though she may not have much dramatic range, I like Martha. She is perky and has a great smile which is a nice counterweight to the bipolarity of Gwen.

July 24 2008 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I'm still bitter that they killed 2 characters, even if Martha will be there. However, if she is, I'm hoping they'll write her well -

July 24 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argent

sheesh, what's with the hate on martha? i thought she was just fine.

and 5 episodes is better than 'cancelled', no?

July 24 2008 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Argent's comment
Ryan

I don't know. Some people can't deal with the fabulousness of one Martha Jones.

And guys, 5 episodes is better than none. I'm sure it has something to do with Doctor Who also scaling back next season to just three specials. Both shows will be back in their full glory the following year.

July 24 2008 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I am wondering if it will be a full series or a 5 or 6 episode deal.

July 24 2008 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply