Joss Whedon & Dr. Horrible - VIDEO - Comic-Con Report
by Keith McDuffee, posted Jul 25th 2008 6:32PM
One of the panels I was most looking forward to was today's Joss Whedon panel, where he'd be discussing everything from the Buffy television series and comic books (including Fray), to the Dr. Horrible videos.
This was an interesting juggling feat for Rich and I, as I was in this same ballroom covering Stargate Continuum while Rich attending Big Bang Theory, then Rich tool over for Atlantis, then I came in for Joss. It was kinda comical, actually, as we did some quick ticket swapping to bypass the incredibly long line just for this panel. After this, Rich comes in to take over for American Dad and Family Guy. Good times.
Some highlights from this panel follows.
- Joss mentioned that there will be more Serenity comics coming. I wish he was asked or had time to bring up the Shep. Book comics, but it never came up.
- Joss also mentioned his and Drew Goddard's Cabin in the Woods getting a go-ahead.
- Joss was then joined on stage by all of the Dr. Horrible writers: Jed and Zach Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. Then the cast: Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day and Simon Helberg. Harris had the freeze ray, as you can see.
- The panel went right to audience questions. First up, would Joss approach Russel T. Davies for a 'Once More with Feeling' Torchwood. He said he thinks it's a great idea but Davies should do it.
- When will Joss have a happy ending to a story? Felicia Day thought the ending was perfect. Then Harris said to Joss: "Yeah, you do kill a lot of chicks."
- A depressing question came from one person, saying her brain was deteriorating and asking what everyone on the panel does to be happy when things are grim. Fillion joked: "When my brain deteriorates ... I'm pretty happy." Funny bastard!
- One audience member came to the mic for a question, and Joss interrupted with "Are you Kitty Pride? Nice!" Yes, she was dressed as Kitty Pride.
- Will Fray get her own series? Joss: "I'm a killer. I don't know how to do anything else." Putting her into Buffy was a joy -- it's a matter of a lack of time to do anything. Not in the foreeable future, but she's definitely out there.
- Why was Dr. Horrible not wearing his costume in the final scene? Harris went on to say that he thought there were different ways to interpret it, though nobody else interjected with their own thoughts on that.
- Which episode was their most memorable. Everyone: "This ... ?" They then went on to mention their favorite moments from the show. Fillion's favorite: "The hammer is my penis."
- Felicia day was asked her favorite scene, but she had her hands under the table and said "I'm twittering." Eyebrows raising all around the table as realized what that sounded like, quickly putting her hands on the table. That joke did not get old throughout the panel.
- Joss said his favorite death to write was Joyce Summers ... not that he likes to write deaths.
- There will be another part of Dr. Horrible! No other details were given, but it will be continuing.
- They were asked if they get discouraged when shows get canceled so often. Joss said he takes it one episode at a time. Putting Dr. Horrible in different hands, by using the power of the internet and the opularity of that to decide the fate of the show is a direction he seems to think a lot of things will be going, most specifically his own future work.
- Fillion on his penis: "Shaped like a hammer. (To Joss) You saw it." Joss: "That was a great day. The day I gave him the part of Mal."
- Joss was asked if he plans or ever planned to "out" Xander, like he recently did with Buffy in the comics, and he said no. He also mentioned Oz will be returning in the comic book -- a character he didn't kill!
- Joss was asked what happened to Jessie, from season one, and why he was killed off so quicky. Joss already talked about this before, but he reiterated that he wanted to put him in the opening credits and then kill him and had always wanted to do that to a character, but it didn't quite work that way.
- Joss was asked if anything disturbs him or anything he likes about what fans yell out at the 'Once More with Feeling' sing-a-longs. Joss: "Not a fan of 'shut up, Dawn!'" He said he imagines the Dr. Horrible sing-a-long will be more of a "Sing and feel-really-bad-a-thon."
- Yes, there will be a Dr. Horrible DVD and soundtrack. There will be a contest online where fans can enter short clips, where the ten best will be featured on the DVD.
- And finally, Fillion gave us a cool tip: The remote control shown on the iPhone that Dr. Horrible uses is simply a website, and here it is.
And now I'll leave you with this:
Felicia Day Twitters from hacksaway on Vimeo.