April 23, 2014

Heroes - VIDEO - Comic-Con Report

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jul 26th 2008 5:16PM
heroes panel
Ah, Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center. If you've been to Comic-Con before, you know how cavernous Hall H is. If you don't, well, it's just frick'n huge. I didn't think anything could make Ballroom 20 seem small.

I got in like over two hours before the panels in this room started, and by the time I got in it was about 3/4 full. Then, finally, the Heroes panel started.

The thing about the Heroes panel is that, unlike any of the other TV panels I went to so far, there were very few things discussed or questions asked. I think perhaps five people got to ask questions, most which weren't informative at all. What did take up the time was a viewing of the entire first episode of the new season, which doesn't premiere until September 22. I'll post some spoilery details on that later, but for now I'm typing this as I await the Lost panel.

I'll just leave you with this: I gave up early on Heroes last season, and just by watching this episode I think I'm coming back. I think even if you didn't watch Season 2 at all, you can pick right back up again and be blown away. It's definitely a game-changer of an episode, nevermind the season. Hopefully the rest of the season will be as good.

The entire cast was present: Jack Coleman, Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter, Masi Oka Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Pasdar, Zachary Quinto, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Dania Ramirez, Christine Rose and Milo Ventimigilia. Also present was creator Tim Kring and artist Tim Sale. Unfortunately we didn't get a whole lot out of them, but I can follow up with a more detailed report later.

YouFaceTheTick

They have not killed off characters willy-nilly. In fact after season 1's awful finale did we get any deaths? Yeah the lame guy that can dematerialize.

The show's lack of originality and daring couldn't be more apparent than Mohinder (most annoying character after the little boy and the stupid time traveling guy) knocking out the mediocre bad guy and failing to kill him. Nobody has really gone bad either. It'd be nice if a few of these people started with good intentions and realized they could exploit the world with their powers.

Overall the execution's sloppy, the stories lack any sense of doom and there's no drama. Get some of the writers from Lost or Friday Night Lights to help out the clowns from Heroes...they have no idea how to keep an audience guessing or at least worried...

July 27 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I like Mohinder, but the voice-overs do my nut in also.

July 27 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John D\'arc

That spoiler report. I already see plot holes. Like say, SPOILERS!!!! shooting your brother to keep him quiet when you have time abilities. Instead of time traveling ten minutes before and just talking to him instead. SPOILERS!!!!

also, the finale of the episode is total shark jumping time.

July 26 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John D\'arc's comment
Lukecash

That isn't a plot hole. That's how Future Peter rolls...he's more ruthless. There is a reason why he shot him-Nathan may have never believed him. Or perhaps he was worried that Nathan would change his mind. But at the moment he was to announce something-Future Peter took the shot.

In fact....later, when Nathan was about to talk to the press again-Future Nathan was ready to take another shot! As if the fear that his brother may still blab about the powered people.

July 27 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Writer's strike had nothing to do with the weak ending of season 1. Yes, season 1. They made it clear that they will not tolerate many villains and they certainly refuse to kill off people. That blows. If a good writer had a hand in that show you can bet your butt the cheerleader would be dead for no other reason than it's fun to shock an audience!

This show better get far more ruthless...soon

July 26 2008 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to YouFaceTheTick's comment
StillBash

Nah not the cheerleader. That f***ing villain. I mean seriously WHY did he survive? To drive some Mexicans across the border in Season 2.

Congrats.

July 26 2008 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lukecash

They have killed characters before. Sometimes major ones.
And no where did they say they weren't going to have villains... In fact, this whole volume is called Villains.

They've had villains on the show before.

July 27 2008 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Wow every actor from the main cast? They are really hoping people will return to this series after last season. However, I still blame the horrible writer's strike more then the writers on the show. Its hard to do a mythology show and only have 7 episodes to work with as a season. Hopefully season 3 won't be the last hurrah for "Heroes".

July 26 2008 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TH14

I love Comic Con, here's almost the whole 3x01 episode summary with some huge spoilers! http://www.heroestelevision.com/heroes-season-3-episode-1-spoilers/

July 26 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Did the episode begin with a 10-hour-long monologue from Mohinder? They have a habit of doing that in season premieres

July 26 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply