October 26, 2014

Psych: Murder? ...Anyone? ...Anyone? ...Bueller?

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 26th 2008 10:02AM
Bueller Psych(S03E02) From the title, it was clear tonight's show was going to relate to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. In fact, in true Shawn and Gus fashion, the entire John Hughes' oeuvre was mined for comic gold, as Gus was hosting the 13th high school reunion -- that's right. Not 10, but 13 years. Ironically, in 1995 there was no John Hughes movie. Never mind, the references were more '80s than '90s anyway, including Milo and Otis, Karla DeVito, and all those Hughes movies.

Overall, there was something lacking tonight. The setting came first, Gus and Shawn's class reunion, then the case. It was like Murder She Wrote, where Jessica Fletcher just happens to stumble onto a murder wherever she is.

It seemed an awkward arrangement. The show is better when Shawn and Gus horn in on a Santa Barbara PD case.

What was interesting in the show was Shawn revisiting the love that might have been with Abigail, Gus questioning if he's a failure because he hasn't achieved greatness since graduation, and in a side plot, Henry going down memory lane with Madeline. Is Psych getting all mushy on us? Two weeks in a row, our usually off-the-wall, goof ball Shawn has had serious moments. This week it was Shawn and Henry in the car; last week, Mom and the revelation.

Humor wise, the boys were definitely channeling teen Hughes, i.e. Ferris, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles. Shawn chose a Judd Nelson photo tag, and identified the victim when he realized he was a Duckie, the character Jon Cryer played in Sixteen Candles Pretty in Pink.

The big reveal had Shawn in front of a crowd, one of his favorite things to do. Remember last season with the fashion show? Again, our Shawn had a serious moment; a salute to his best friend. I kept waiting for the punch line, but it was really a serious moment.

Overall, a good episode, but I've come to expect more from the boys. More ha-ha. Call me shallow, I prefer the lighter stuff.

Other points of interest

-- Shawn finds closure with Abigail because he realizes there's something going on with Jules. Yeah, it's still there.

-- Henry and Madeline; I'm not feeling it. Everything is based on the past, not the present.

-- Did you see the pineapple? It was on the sign-in table.

-- "No body, no crime." They repeat it enough times to say it should be on a tee shirt. I agree.

-- References to Barnaby Jones. The Wonder Years. And from Ferris Bueller, "Abe Froman the Sausage King of Chicago" was his alias to get into the French restaurant.

-- All of Henry's Matchbox cars for Shawn were cop vehicles.

-- Gus is stunned that Shawn never went to the high school football games. Shawn explains the games were on Friday. That would mean missing Step by Step, heart of the ABC TGIF lineup.

How do you like the serious moments on Psych?
I prefer more laughs94 (21.0%)
I think the show is well-balanced332 (74.1%)
I'd like more serious scenes22 (4.9%)

Rochelle

I thought this episode was pure gold. I loved it! All of the references were great, and only Psych would do a 10 year reunion at 13 years. My favorite part was the last clip with Gus' letter to the school. That one got green lighted on my TiVo.

July 29 2008 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

I agree this was better than last week, but I was confused by Gus's total lack of knowledge about anything Shaun had or had not done in high school. Half his dialogue seemed to include, "You never -- ?!?" It was like they weren't even friends during those years.

July 28 2008 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

This was a much better episode than the season opener. Lot's of great Gus/Sean interplay and a return to the quick, snappy editing of previous episodes.

All the 80's references were spot on and I enjoy the serious moments getting injected into the show. The serious moments provide character growth and development. Without them every episode would be the same formula.

July 28 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry J. Friedman

Just wanted to add that the "1995" floating in the punch bowl appeared to be made of pieces cut from a pineapple.

July 28 2008 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

This seemed like a bit of a weird post. Kind of short, we basically got a summary and then feelings about the review with very little explanation. The points at the end such as Sean seeming very into Abigail and then suddenly throwing it away for Jules deserved more than a casual ending. What's up with that anonymous TV squad blogger?

July 28 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike K

I'm from the Class of '95 and the 80's love definitely rang true... even though we're a little young to remember all of it, all those movies played constantly on the local UHF stations during my teen years.

Also, who else loved the Gus photo montage?

July 27 2008 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Does the fact that Abigail was the girl from "She's All That" count as a movie reference? I realize that it was late 90's but it still falls into that high-school movie genre.

Anyway, I loved the episode. Personally, I think it's good that they are building some depth the the characters. Don't get me wrong I love the comedy but to keep a show on the air you've got to gradually build a good back story or things start to get stale.

July 27 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jude

I loved this episode. I liked the fact that Shawn didn't turn his tribute to Gus into a joke. He had chemistry with the guest star. He still had the *keys* from high school (and they hadn't changed the locks).

July 27 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angus

what's the name of that song that's playing in the scene with Shawn and Abigail on the dance floor?

July 27 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to angus's comment
Josh.A.

angus: The song is called "On and On" by the Longpigs, off their first album "The Sun is Often Out".

The song was on the Mission: Impossible movie soundtrack, but not actually in the movie - go figure.

I'm a huge fan of the band, which split around 2000, so i was glad to hear it used.

July 28 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astralroamer

About 10 minutes into the episode, in the gymnasium -- what is that song in the background?

August 04 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SPT Layzner

I loved TGIF as a wee child. Who could forget such shows like Coach, or that Teenager that Ate a Hamburger and Died, and the Urkel Show?
Man was Shawn on drugs during his whole high school tenure?

July 27 2008 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply