October 25, 2014

HBO canceling sex-drenched Tell Me You Love Me

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 27th 2008 9:02AM
Tell Me You Love MeI watched Tell Me You Love Me a few times, but it never had enough oomph to bring me back every week. I guess a lot of viewers felt that way, because HBO decided not to renew it for a second season.

The sex-drenched show followed the lives of couples in therapy and was probably one of the most sexually explicit shows on TV. I have friends who watched it religiously, and some say they felt uncomfortable not so much with the sex, but because it felt like they were eavesdropping on peoples' darkest secrets.

Creator/executive producer Cynthia Mort said in a statement, "Given the considerable amount of time that has passed and despite the best efforts of everyone involved, we were unable to find the direction of the show for the second season. There are so many other stories to tell and many other ways to tell them. I look forward to doing that with HBO in the future."

HBO's other therapy-themed drama, In Treatment, was recently picked up for a second season. So at least we can still eavesdrop on those folks -- and, of course, get our fix of Gabriel Byrne.

Jenny

This sucks. I loved TMYLM. I loved it from a psychological perspective. It had great character development. I need to stop getting hooked on new shows. They always get cancelled/canceled.

Boo.

July 29 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I watched this show but I just FF'd thru it for the sex. It looked like they were really getting it on most of the time.

July 27 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Z

I believe this, me and my friends were just talking about how great this show is. The stoys are good the actors are amazing, and yeah there is a lot of sex in this show. It explorse every part of relationships, the good the bad, the ugly, the bad again. Its what real life is, its not some put together story its real, and its somethign HBO does really good with their shows and at a time where HBO does not have any big shows why would they go an cancel this.

July 27 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

There's a corrections link at the top.

It's not nearly as bad as "writer's strike"

July 27 2008 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

US/UK spelling. As a Brit, I like 'cancelling' :)

July 27 2008 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edd's comment
Oreo

As an American I like cancelling too, but I have always spelled grey instead of gray, so I'm different.

July 27 2008 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Actually it can be spelled both ways. It should be canceled and canceling, but for some reason adding an other l is is fine.

July 27 2008 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

'Canceling' should be 'cancelling'. -1 legitimacy points.

July 27 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply