August 21, 2014

In Plain Sight: Good Cop, Dead Cop

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 28th 2008 12:26PM
Lesley Ann In Plain(S01E09) If you've invested in this show from the start -- as I have -- here was a really welcome episode to fill in the blanks. Finally, we were given a little back story about Mary, the place she's living, her obnoxious family, her frustrations with her life and even Marshall's unrequited (or so he thinks) leering for his partner. There was even some good character stuff for Bobby D -- whom Mary colorfully calls a "little prick" -- which was really nice.

I liked the case of a Chicago cop doing a "Serpico" -- going undercover to rat out police corruption -- and winding up killing a fellow officer in self-defense and being forced into Witness Protection was on target. And unlike the ridiculous Russian girl in the pilot who was asking WITSEC for new breasts, this was a realistic relocation. He resented being stuck in Albuquerque, and proving that he wasn't a stone, he was attracted to Mary. Of course, Mary did cross a line by sleeping with the guy, but that was all right, too, because it proved that she wasn't a stone, too. And since it was back story, it was pre-Raphael.

When another former Chicago cop happens to be killed, Eps is implicated in a very convoluted way, forcing Mary and Marshall to defend their charge and also investigate who really did it. Any time Mary has had to interact with Bobby D the show has perked up, and this was no different. But when it comes to crossing the line, his using her cell phone to uncover Eps identity was tricky and clever, but it I know my Law & Order, completely inadmissible in a court of law. Even if Eps had shot Rodriguez, there would have been no conviction because the evidence was all tainted.

One of the reasons the Eps character worked so well was familiarity. The actor, Jason Wiles, was a Third Watch regular -- playing a cop. He had the whole cop thing down pat, definitely adding to the verisimilitude. Also, I could definitely see him and Mary hooking up again because that door was left wide open at the end of the show.

Other points of interest

-- Why is Raph incapable of doing his laundry? Even Dr. Horrible did his own laundry.

-- Roxanne attacks Mary -- cat fight!! Granted, they're both in law enforcement, but this kind of fighting is really a guy thing. Cat fights are a male-fantasy. What is it with male scriptwriters and their obsessions with two girls wrestling, beyond the sexual turn on?

-- So the suitcase of cocaine didn't float down the river after all. Brandi retrieved it, although I recall her dropping it off a bridge and there was none in sight, and now she's going back to Chuck. I see flaws in that plan, don't you?

-- Marshall is too smart and observant not to have picked up on the fact that he walked into a gay bar. Also, Albuquerque can't have that many gay hangouts that someone as sharp as Marshall wouldn't know this one. Really. They're like an open secret in most cities.

-- Stan found a pair of balls! For the first time he acted like federal marshal with some clout.

-- I think Mary and Raph are done. She's moving on.

-- Call me crazy, but reading someone else's cell phone is an invasion of privacy, even if you're a cop. It's wrong.

-- I like Mary's idea about having a room full of cornflakes -- very practical.

-- I wonder if this was considered as the first episode? Or maybe it should have been in the first two or three. The info about Jinx driving from Paramus to help Mary move in to her house was great, especially Mary's line, "There are two kinds of surprise, Marshall, birthday and Pearl Harbor. Guess which category Mom showing up falls under?"

-- Mary told Brandi and Jinx to leave her house -- will they? I doubt it. When have they ever listened to her before!
Who would you like to see Mary date regularly?
Raph29 (11.9%)
Bobby D37 (15.2%)
Eps99 (40.6%)
Marshall79 (32.4%)

eric f

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at the beginning of the episode, but I completely missed any reference at all to the fact that they were doing a flashback. I was very confused.

July 29 2008 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

couple of things with this review.

1. re: Ralph not being able to do his own laundry ... not everyone has a washer / dryer at home and he is injured so he might not be able to go out an do it (also Brandi was washing his gym clothes on her own choice not because he asked her to)

2. when brandi threw the suitcase off of the bridge we were shown it getting stuck on the shoreline of the river ... an allusion to the fact that she wouldn't be able to escape her past so easily

3. Eps wasn't undercover exposing corrupt cops ... he was one of them and turned states-evidence because he couldn't handle going to prison. I thought this was very clear .

July 28 2008 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
Jennifer

Much like Dr. Horrible, Raph's choices when it comes to laundry revolve around girls.

I thought this was a pretty terrible episode. Brandi and Raph are clearly GONNA SLEEP TOGETHER, she's all but spreading her legs for him, and yet somehow didn't happen. Mary boinks a witness (yeah, he's still better than Raph, but still) and nothing happens to her and she doesn't get in trouble. The case in this is easily resolved with "the cop was gay," what?!

I want the Idiot Brigade (Mary's relatives and Raph) off my screen. They're all godawful. I'm so sick of Brandi waiting around for Raph to fuck her, Jinx acting like an idiot, and Raph's hangdog expression.

July 29 2008 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Austin M

This wasn't so much a catfight as they were actually swinging some decent punches there instead of pulling hair.

July 28 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I think this was a great episode in terms of backstory. But, a couple things:
1) The characters always talk about how tough Mary is, but the show always shows her tender side. Whenever she does nice things like drink health shakes, bring in free coffee or buy b-day presents, Marshall always tells her that it isn't her personality, but I'm thinking it is -
2) I liked Bobby D turning the tables and stealing her phone. But I hated how he froze her out and put the witness in jeopardy with a wiretap, police parade, etc. While Mary's never said 'I represent that witness', she's always been straightforward with him -
3) I really don't like how aggressive Brandi is with Raph. Also, how could Raph be so lazy as to keep a condom wrapper from a couple weeks ago in his bag?
Last week I was fine with Marshall reclaiming his sidekick mantle, because it fleshed out M's family, but this week, I'm getting tired of his unrequited Mary love. I'm hoping the show will explore their friendship a bit more either this season or the next -

On a side note, the suitcase never went down the river, it just stuck in the mud.

July 28 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply