August 20, 2014

The X-Files: I Want To Believe has a rough opening

by Brett Love, posted Jul 28th 2008 9:03AM

The X-Files - David Duchovny and Gillian AndersonI didn't think going into the weekend that the new X-Files movie (see Cinematical's review) had much of a shot at opening at number one. After the opening that the new Batman enjoyed the previous weekend, it was going to be a tough mountain to climb. That being said, I didn't think number two was an overly ambitious goal. And number three would have been a bit surprising. But number four and $10.2 million? Yikes.

As expected, The Dark Knight once again topped the box office with the biggest second weekend on record. Surprisingly though, Mulder and Scully also trailed Step Brothers and the second week of Mama Mia. The B word is already being tossed around, understandably so. Despite that, studio executives are standing by to assure everyone that with foreign box office and DVD the movie will still turn a profit. That's all well and good, but I don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up for round three any time soon.

mel_aus

Saw the movie here is Australia the other week...
By the way, american box office isnt the only one that counts (regarding the original article we are all replying to)
It opened at number three in Australia just behind Batman and Mamma Mia and kept that spot for just over a week, it remains in the top 10 to date. It will do well in parts of Europe and definately once they release dvd etc. Could it have done better? yep. But it sure could have done a lot worse too. It was small budget movie and last i checked 5 days ago...it's made just over 40 mill world wide.
ok...so I liked the movie, didnt love it but i liked it. I saw it twice and appreciated it and the idea behind it more the second time around...the first time around left me feeling a bit mixed. Yeah it could have been a little more true to the heart of the x files series but i liked seeing mulder and scully again and seeing them finally admit they were together instead of always hinting at it ....the whole will they wont they thing was annoying after 9 years of the show lol! As for any further movies, i rthink they should make one in a couple of years...not 2012...such a long gap has already hurt their profits amongst other things, along with bad timing for the release date...another long break would do so again. Maybe make a 'lead in' movie two yrs from now that answers the question of what happened to william etc and then sets up the scene for a possible 2012 one. And bring back the lone gunman! As far as CGI or special effects ....i couldnt care less about that stuff *yawn*...i just want a good story and good acting and familiar characters. Its sad that people are so hard to please these days and need explosions and huge effects and huge budget to enjoy a movie and that they can't understand or appreciate a phsychological thriller. Not that i am saying this was the best thriller ever made...it wasn't(but it was a pretty decent one)...just because i was a huge fan of the show and of david and Gillian doesn't make me blind. As for Batman...meh...to be honest it gave me a headache and was a bit depressing. Too much noise and effects and everyone in the movie/story was so miserable and unhappy....not what i remembered batman to be. Yeah Heath ledger was good.. but Brokeback Mountain is when he should have won the Oscar.... can't make it up to him by talking about giving him one now when he is gone. Harsh but true. Enough from me and my two cents:) My only advice to anyone thinking about seeing the X files is...see it or don't see it....but make up your OWN minds...forget all of us:P

August 13 2008 at 5:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elorna

This was not The X-Files, this was CSI: X-Files! And it sucked!
The reason this film flopped was that it was made for one segment of the audience, the romance fans. It was easy for Chris Carter and company to pander to them, they are the easiest to write for.

July 28 2008 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BrianaMD

I enjoyed this movie a lot...it wasn't what I was expecting but that doesn't necessarily make it bad! I am a huge fan of the series as well as the first movie and I had a lot of expectations I loved the relationship drama between scully and mulder and I think its exactly what they would be doing 6 years after the x files ended. I took my sister who's first reaction when I asked her to go with me was What's the X files? she liked the movie as well. About it opening with Batman...I work at a movie theatre and a lot of people I talked who were going to see Batman and Stepbrothers said that the X files was next on their list...don't stop believing just yet ;)

July 28 2008 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L'Emmerdeur

The movie I want to see is the one that answers all the questions and resolves the main plot line. Anything else is straight-to-DVD in my book.

After all these other shows that have dragged their mysteries out forever in homage to the X-Files TV show (I'm looking at you, Lost), it's about time these folks wrap it up and give everyone some bloody closure.

I wonder if I'm the only fan who will wait for this movie to hit Netflix for this reason?

July 28 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WADE BRASHER

i am a huge X-files fan and was there on opening night to see the movie. I injoyed the movie, but must admit that I was a little disapointed with the action and it was not scary. I mean we never even saw a "monster". We only saw the doctors creating one. There was never a fight scene with Mulder and Scully and the "monster". I agree this story needed to be as a TV movie. It did not have the caliber of a movie release. This was just an OK tv episode storyline.
However, X-files is not dead! There are still a lot of fans out there that love the X-files, including me.

July 28 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seth

Truthfully, it was a bad time to open the movie -- who knew Batman would be that huge and also all the males were preoccupied with Step Brothers as well. No promotional push.

Check out boxofficemojo scores from those who've seen it -- a lot of A's...

July 28 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I really enjoyed this movie, much more than I expected to -- I was even surprised that the person I was with who never watched x files -- came out of the theater saying it was really really good (and she rarely says that). It's very well written and I think people need to give it a chance. I feel as if it was just badly marketed and when people found out there were no aliens in this one, they just didn't turn out. It seriously is one of the best movies of the summer.

July 28 2008 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Disclosure: I'm a huge fan of the "X-Files" series--a multiple Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG, etc. winner. So yes, I'm predisposed to like and even defend the new movie, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe". Roger Ebert liked it very much, though it has been shellacked by a lot of others as being "ho hum" and unworthy of the wait. But almost nobody seems to have hated it.

Well, that's the problem... I liked the new X Files movie. Not loved it, but liked it. It was a reunion of sorts: back to the moody Canadian backdrop, Chris Carter's direction and dialogue, and most of all David Duchovny's "Fox Mulder" and Gillian Anderson's "Dana Scully." There's also an extended cameo of sorts from "Walter 'Skinman' Skinner," (Mitch Pilleggi) their former boss. It has a real "Silence of the Lambs" vibe. Frankly, that sounds cooler than it is in execution.

All that atmosphere is really a backdrop for the tension between Mulder's desire to believe the unbelievable and Scully's crisis with her faith. That's box office poison when you're trying to distract moviegoers from a guy in a black cape beating the crud out of diabolical clown. (If you're a big fan like me you just want to shake show creator and former surfer Chris Carter and say "You had six years and all you came up with is this? Duuuuuuude!") I have to give him props for a pretty funny Bush joke, though. Worth the price of admission.

I really enjoyed seeing the characters and getting involved in the mystery of "I Want to Believe," but I couldn't stop myself from thinking "Why don't Mulder and Scully mention the looming alien invasion set for 2012?" I know, I know. Because this isn't about aliens. This is Chris Carter and Fox trying to get non-X-Filers to see the movie--to perhaps "reboot" the franchise for a broader audience. I respect that. I just wish the story were a little creepier, the rating 'R' instead of 'PG-13' and the budget bigger than $30 million.

I hope the movie does well enough worldwide (with DVD sales and rentals, etc. it should do way better than its $30 million budget) for that third and final invasion-themed movie. I want this former cultural phenomenon to go out in a blaze of glory. But if it doesn't, watch the end credits of "I Want to Believe" for what could be a final farewell from Mulder and Scully.

I could go on...but I think you should check it out for yourself. Go to a matinee if you don't want to pay full price. But have a look. Especially if you want a good, moody, creepy mystery. Besides, who knows? Despite yourself, you may want to believe after all. --excepted from my review @ www.SoonerThought.blogspot.com

July 28 2008 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

If they can make this for $30million then someone somewhere should be able to afford an Arrested Development movie.

July 28 2008 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CB523

I could not disagree more. I loved both I Want to Believe and Fight the Future. They were both very entertaining and complimented the series nicely. People were saying the first one failed because they finally showed aliens, leaving people disappointed when the myth became a reality. But NOW, in the second film, everyone is critizing it because it is just a "monster of the week" story without any supernatural premises. Someone needs to make up their mind?

I loved seeing Mulder and Scully back on the screen together. They are both great actors and the film kept my interest throughout the entirety of the movie. I hope there is a third movie and when that time comes, I hope people have realistic expectations.

July 28 2008 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CB523's comment
Oreo

The fact that it won't make it's money back until the DVD a realistic expectation. No one was thinknig the movie would make 100 million in a weekend, but the fact it's in fourth with 10 million is just bad. More so for the fan that 90% of the die hard fans don't really like the movie and won't be seeing it again. This could even be a bigger failure than Serenity was.

July 28 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply