December 22, 2014

The Closer: Cherry Bomb

by Brett Love, posted Jul 29th 2008 12:04AM

The Closer - Robert Gossett, Kyra Sedgwick, Daniel Baldwin
(S04E03) "You cannot trust the police. They lie about everything." - Brenda

I think TNT over sold this episode in the preview. If you tuned in a few minutes early you would have heard their tag, "The only thing more surprising than the crime is the twist at the end." Honestly, I didn't think there was much of a twist at the end. I'll save any spoilers for after the jump, but the groundwork for the ending was laid out pretty clearly early on. That's not to say it was a bad episode though, because there was a lot to really enjoy here.

The story actually tied in nicely with last week's episode, "Speed Bumps." With that one we saw Flynn obsessing over a case, and this week we find Taylor, and then Brenda, in a similar predicament. Perhaps that's why it was bumped up in the rotation. Originally this one was slated to be number four.

What really made the episode work for me was the interaction between Taylor and Brenda. They've always had a very tenuous relationship, but at the core of it there is a respect. It showed here as Taylor had to ask for Brenda's help cleaning up his mess. Of course, she couldn't just agree without making it perfectly clear that he had screwed up. "You left your victim exposed while you busied yourself with the political ramifications." Once she was on board though, she quickly became as obsessed with it as he was, and understandably so.

It really was a grisly crime. They managed to convey just how much so without actually showing us the crime, or even very much of the evidence. The small peeks, and the reactions of everyone involved, were more than enough. And those political ramifications, those serve as another ongoing theme this season. It's a game that Brenda is just not going to play, and it's going to keep Taylor and Pope awfully busy.

Getting to the case, I'm curious to hear whether or not anyone was at all surprised by the 'twist' at the end. It seemed pretty obvious to me from the moment that the friends provided the alibi that the younger Yates didn't commit the murder, and that Brenda would be arresting the father for lying about his alibi. You knew it couldn't end well for him when he called Brenda a bitch. It's worth mentioning that it was a nice guest performance from Daniel Baldwin.

As part of the case, we also got another great example of how hard Brenda's job is. Not just from an investigation standpoint, but from an emotional one. The most telling bit of that was her scene with Ally. She, essentially, abducted the girl and put her in a place that she really didn't want to be. Ultimately, she did it with good intentions, but it still has to take a toll to put someone through that. There was another quick look at that as Brenda confessed to Fritz how much the case was getting to her.

The only real negative I have for the episode is that it might be too stand alone. The Closer is certainly not a serial, but I do like a little something to tie it all together from week to week. Some kind of hint toward the Daniels/Gabriel story, or a little more Brenda/Fritz, would have been nice. I actually don't mind that the ending was predictable. I'm actually more annoyed with the network for playing it up as a big twist than the writers for not delivering one. The Closer is a good enough show that it doesn't need a dramatic twist to bring people in, or keep them coming back. And, frankly, the ratings are good enough that it should be above that kind of promotion.

Finally, let me leave you with a behind the scenes pic from the set. Who loves their job? Robert Gossett does.
The Closer - J,K, Simmons and Robert Gossett

The big twist. Did you see it coming?
From miles and miles away.71 (35.7%)
Didn't really see it, but it wasn't exactly shocking.105 (52.8%)
Not at all. I totally missed it.23 (11.6%)

hula doctor

I Love Detective Sanchez !! He reads the best miranda rights !! You have the right to SHUT UP! Any STUPID thing you say can and will be used against you -- you have a right to an attorney -- if your BROKE ASS can't afford one . . . aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha !!

August 05 2008 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FloridaGirl25

I'm glad I was too busy to catch the previews or the tag line before the show. Both my daughter and I didn't see the ending coming - we couldn't see how it could be murder, but we still kept expecting a murderer (hmmm). If the story unfolds at a brisk pace, it will keep the viewer from having enough time to see the holes (until later).

The interaction between Brenda and Taylor was interesting and I appreciate that characters are allowed to zigzag, as we do in real life.

CRVBOY, I couldn't agree more about the previews. I'm not watching Saving Grace while I wait for the darned preview.

July 29 2008 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I missed the promos, but I think the twist was that after calling it a murder investigation and proceeding as if it were, Brenda revealed at the end that she knew it was a suicide and wanted to convict the SOB of rape. She did that by getting him to confess. Then Taylor added a cherry on top by showing Brenda that Ally was ready to press charges, too, thus convicting him of serial rape. That would keep him locked up for a long time. The arrest of the Sheriff, I think, was just a ploy (albeit a happy one for Brenda to get some revenge) to get the son alone and in a position where he was going to confess, doing precisely what Brenda wanted. If you think about it, the machinations were very much like a chess match. The Sheriff misplayed and Brenda got the kid to talk. Checkmate.

July 29 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I learned from LOST to stay away from the promos or previews of every show now. They ruin it. Of course, it works for a show you have never seen and I have turned a few on and stayed with them because of it.

I loved the interaction between Brenda and Taylor this episode. I wouldn't call it a "twist" either. I would call it more a refreshing change that she couldn't pull some surprise confession at the end.

July 29 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

It would be nice if they didn't bury the previews for the next week in "Saving Grace".

July 29 2008 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

July 29 2008 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alan's comment
sam

"From the previews, I expected Daniel Baldwin to have actually committed the rape/murder."

Me too - I thought he was "conveniently" providing an alibi for his son because it actually gave the father an alibi as well.

July 29 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Ah... The great part of a DVR is not getting hyped by previews.

I thought it was a good episode, though, you're right, arresting the Sheriff Commander was pretty obvious. Which, was my only problem. They give him credit the entire episode for being a smart guy, why make up an alibi without thinking the consequences through (I know it was his son, but he seemed more composed than that).

July 29 2008 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dorv's comment
Brett Love

I would normally agree with you Dorv, but there are still a few shows that I watch live, and The Closer is one of them.

July 29 2008 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply