April 21, 2014

The Daily Show: July 28, 2008 - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Jul 29th 2008 1:25PM
Oliver and Riggle"Easy, Pal... for the US Army": Sometimes I forget that there are still people that are scared of homosexuals, especially in the military. Thanks, Daily Show, for reminding of the existence of Elaine "Passive-Agressive Behavior" Donnelly and company. Congress recently had a hearing about gays in the military and the ever-popular "don't ask, don't tell" policy. This was almost as hilarious as whenever I see groups of straight guy-friends go to the movies together and sit with empty seats between each other so they won't be tempted to hold hands or something. Yeah, super-gay hand-holding is definitely worse than alcoholics and convicted felons. Icky.

"Red State Blue State Report: Oil Crisis": Correspondents John Oliver and Rob Riggle filed a report about the liberal/conservative views on our country's current oil situation. I've missed seeing recurring reports, so my fingers are crossed that this one was will stick. I hope this doesn't mean John and Larry Wilmore's reports are totally dead, though. Anyway, this segment was a clever way of poking fun at the extreme views on both ends of the spectrum. I sympathized with John, having to deal with dumpster-diving hippies, fishing old sour cream from Trader Joe's throwaways. Of all the things to pull from a pile of expired food, the last things I would even consider would be sour freakin' cream and fish. I wonder if that's why these hippie types tend to be so thin, they end up violently expelling all the maggot-y stuff they take in. It would have been funny if John's segment ended with him throwing up too. Rob Riggle is at his best when he's acting like an overenthusiastic redneck, so his segment was spot-on as well.

The night's guest was Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, promoting her new book, Know Your Power: A Message To America's Daughters. Despite the fact that her laugh usually gets under my skin, this was a pretty solid interview. She even acknowledged Congress as super-mockable. Right on, right on. The Speaker then went on to talk about the role of Congress under a too-powerful President and then fangirled a little bit over Barack Obama. Obviously, I need to brush up on my oil drilling information, because I found that portion of the interview to be fascinating and full of fun facts. Too bad she's not tight with Plainview jokes.

Moment of Zen: The best comparison Senator Jim DeMint could make to the Democrats was Steve Urkel? What is this, 1994?

On another note, I've been waiting all weekend for TDS to take on Bob Novak's ridiculous hit-and-run. I swear, as horrible as it sounds, before "Oh, my God! I hope that pedestrian is all right!" even crossed my mind, I thought, "Oh, my God! I hope they totally bring back 'Douchebag of Liberty'!" [EDIT: Thanks to reader ChrisG for pointing out that TDS did in fact cover this last week, before the health news hit. I can't believe I forgot. It's like I don't retain it if I don't review it or something.] But then Mr. Novak released the terrible news of his recently diagnosed brain tumor and I knew the show wouldn't be cheap enough to even touch on the hit-and-run. The Colbert Report addressed this beautifully, poking a little fun at the fact that this is really the least either show could do. I felt it was worth sharing.

Go with the Flow

Yeah, you like *totally* lost me at "oral".

While I'm here, will the Oliver/Riggle become a kind of new Even Stephven? (Sp?) Hm, interesting...

August 03 2008 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

No, actually, that's not my comparison. My comparison began and ended at "they still make you". I included the Chris Rock reference to "cite my sources", not as an analogous comparison.

Though I think the fact that you're painting everyone with the same brush is a part of the problem, too. Grouping people into larger archetypes almost never works. Statistics have become the bogeyman in modern culture and people forget that individuals always trump their perceived classifications.

So, hey, if it makes you feel better to point at me as a male stereotype, you're more than welcome to do so. But as a man who *does* "eat out pu**y" with the same appreciation, you can bite me.

Woman.

July 31 2008 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

Wow, way to tilt at windmills. But hey, if you want to see that as sexist, you go right ahead. Nevermind that this had nothing to do with women and everything to do with outmoded ideas of right and wrong.

But make sure you duck as the point goes over your head. Don't want you to get hurt.

July 29 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hubris's comment
StillBash

Yeah right point going way over my head. I had an elaborate reply all done and ready and then deleted it because you wouldn't get it anyway. But here goes:

You compare men who are homophobes, meaning afraid of getting aroused by the same sex and "turning gay" (or bisexual for that matter) with women who actually have sex who find oral sex something they just wouldn't do AND women who find it repulsive.

Let me put it like this: as soon as MEN find it equally attractive to (and I quote Kevin Smith here) "eat out pu**y" with the same appreciation that you and Chris Rock ask of women sucking c*ck, then we'll maybe have a society where women and men are actually equal.

It's actually funny that you think this was going anywhere close to getting "over my head". You made a comment about people who are narrow-minded with a comment that is just as equally narrow-minded and felt superior with that comment. Figures if you ask me. Actually it is you who doesn't get the fact that Chris Rock is what we would call "political incorrect" about everything he talks about in his show and that's the reason why people laugh. I use his references about "blacks" and "the n-word" myself all the time because it blatantly shows how blacks themselves discriminate their own all the time. Rock continues with talking about other way people treat each other in a derogatory manner, including the "man of the house" demanding the big piece of chicken while women (black women) tend to only speak up in public where their men can't hit them. Which is totally anachronistic and, if you ask me, neanderthal behavior. From both sides.

So again: you, Sir, are the one who IMHO didn't get it. Since when is sucking c*ock considered something that could be considered a phobia?

Man.

July 29 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChrisG

They already mentioned Novak's hit and run last week, and it was hilarious:

July 29 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

People having a problem with gays reminds me of the Chris Rock bit where he's talking about women who won't give oral: "They still make you?"

July 29 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hubris's comment
StillBash

Oh wow. That must've been the most stupid comparison I ever read. Good to know that there are still enough sexists around to keep women down.

Pun not intended.