September 20, 2014

CBS to remake Streets of San Francisco (oh please don't ruin it)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 30th 2008 11:04AM
Streets of San FranciscoThere was a time I was completely obsessed with The Streets of San Francisco. I never really watched it when it was on ABC in prime time, except for an episode here and there, but I used to watch it every day in the afternoon after school when a local station aired repeats. It was one of the highlights of the day for a while. It's one of those solid 70s shows with a good cast and some interesting guest stars (Arnold Schwarzenegger as a weight lifter who kills people when they make fun of his size!).

CBS is going to remake the show, and I can only imagine it's going to be CSI: San Francisco. The beauty of these old shows was the cast, so I don't know what you get by just taking the title and putting new actors in there. Hopefully they'll keep the old theme song, and resist the urge to add rap lyrics to it.

The writer of the remake says the time is ripe for a remake because these days mirror what the 70s were like: Vietnam War/Iraq War, protests, class warfare, etc. This isn't really true, but whatever. He also compares the characters of Keller and Stone to Obama and McCain.

Um, OK.

leo811sf

im a native san franciscan as well and streets is my absolute favorite show. i think mostly becuz it was shot at a time that embodies the character that was the city, not the rape job done post .com

anyway, i fear they will screw it up as well. i dont think they should attempt to big a stray from what worked before. they should try and use the same story lines just update if necessary. obviously alot of the locations have changed, but use the same anyway. if they are remaking becuz it worked before then keep what worked and recreate not remake.

my vote for casting goes to CBS veteran kevin dobson in the mike stone role.

August 23 2008 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

'" Why doesn't CBS just change their name to CSI?"

Man! You can say [ask] that again?

As a person born and raised in the Bay Area I can tell you that show is very special to us and, like you, I fear the current administration at CBS is just going F-it up. I hope they will at least have the decency/balls to be like the original and film the entire thing on location in San Francisco and not try to make Vancouver or some other place look like SF.

"He also compares the characters of Keller and Stone to Obama and McCain."

See, that right there tells me it's doomed. What the ...? [Sigh] I'd rather have Nash Bridges back than have them screw up a classic.

July 31 2008 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

My apologies for the inadvertant double posting above . I hope one day, perhaps within my lifetime, to figure out the right way to do this. (Oh, and for what it's worth, I think I got it worded right the second time.)

July 30 2008 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I've said this many times before, but this is what's wrong with Hollywood these days. There is an utter lack of originality and an unwillingness to take changes any anything that's the least bit original, except on cable, of course. Can anyone name one remake like this that's been the least bit successful. Sure, Sci Fi had the brain to let Ron Moore remake Battlestar Galactica, and remake 100% better than the original camp-fest, but let's face it: that show is barely seen by 2 million people -- even for cable that's a stretch for being called successful.

July 30 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Whatever happened to the Kojack remake with Ving Rhames?

They'll definitely screw this up. It will either be too dark, casted horribly or too "funny." Remember what they did to Dragnet? Good God.

July 30 2008 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

I don't mind keeping the title, just use different names for the characters. It's not like we all remember Stone and Keller and it can't be Streets without them. You can't have Dragnet without a Joe Friday, I agree. But if you can put anybody into the Stone and Keller roles, why use the same name.

It should be a continuation, not a remake. And that way, at least Karl Malden could do a cameo as Stone!

As it gets closer to it actually being broadcast, maybe Sleuth will re-show the old series.

July 30 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

If CBS is so hot to do a cop show in San Francisco, let 'em roll their own - don't use the old title or the old characters' names, and don't call it "re-imagining the concept" or other such doubletalk. These would-be remakes are the scourge of 21st-century TV: "Here's one of the greatest, best-loved, best-remembered shows of all time - so let's do it again, only with different actors and different music and a different attitude and while wer'e at it let's change everything else! Gotta be a SMASH!" Except - it never is...

July 30 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

These would-be remakes are one of the great plagues of 21st century tv. The spiel is invariable: "Here's one of the greatest, best-loved, best-remembered shows of all time - so let's do it again, only with different people,and in a different style, and with different music, and while we're at it, let's change everything else about it - gotta be a smash!" If CBS wants to do a San Francisco cop show, let them roll their own - don't use the old name, or the old characters's names, and don't use that dumb word "re-imagining." Possible upside: this must mean that the DVDs of the original STREETS OF SF must be selling well; at least, maybe they'll release the rest of the run for once.

July 30 2008 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Why doesn't CBS just change their name to CSI?

July 30 2008 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply