July 22, 2014

Eureka: Bad to the Drone (season premiere)

by Brett Love, posted Jul 30th 2008 8:23AM

Eureka - Colin Ferguson, Ed Quinn
(S03E01) With the return of Eureka, I think my summer viewing schedule is now complete. It's not exactly fall premiere season, but it's hard to complain about summer schedules anymore, given the amount of great programming available. When last we left our favorite eggheads, and Carter, there were two big questions in play. How would Allison respond to Stark's proposal? And would Henry go to jail? We got one of those answers, and a very short peek at where will be headed in season three.

As far as cliffhangers go, those are both pretty light weight stuff. Stargate left half of their cast buried in rubble as they ended their last season, so a proposal and a possible arrest lack a certain grandness. It actually makes sense for the way Eureka is playing out though. Season two wrapped up the big artifact story, leaving season three to start with a, mostly, fresh slate. That's a good decision. In Eureka, a little serial goes a long way.

Getting to the answers, didn't you think that Allison was going to say 'yes'? It's far too early in the going for her to be settling down with Carter, even though we all know that's where she'll end up. She may have said yes to the proposal, but I don't think Stark should be counting on that wedding actually happening. As for Henry, he did go to jail, but it's still up in the air just how long he's staying for. I'm betting he'll be back before too awfully long.

Ah, but the rest of the GD team didn't get off scott-free. They're stuck dealing with, The Fixer. I like the addition. With everything that's happened in Eureka, it makes sense that someone up the chain is going to want a little oversight. I couldn't help but think of Stargate: Atlantis' Woolsey when looking at Eva Thorne (Frances Fisher). She's quickly learning the same lesson that he did. The normal rules just don't apply in their new environs.

That's something we saw in great detail with the Martha saga. Only in Eureka do they create an A.I. capable of learning, and give it weaponry capable of destroying buildings. I wouldn't call the Martha story the best of the series, but it did its job as a backdrop to get us involved with all of the characters again. The fact that the wife was ultimately behind the bungled demonstration was a surprise, but the story of the scientist that was under appreciated did feel a little familiar.

Watching the episode, again, the thing that most stands out to me is the relationship between Carter and Stark. It seemed like they were making some progress in the season two finale. Like the two of them had finally found some common ground. Yeah, that really didn't last long. There's still a reluctant respect, but they just don't like each other. I especially like the little digs, like Stark answering the question about why Martha shot at Eva instead of Carter, "Poor judgment."

Overall, it was a nice welcome back episode. The gangs all here, mostly, and it feels right. My only complaint would be that I could have gone for a little less Larry, preferably replaced with an appearance by Tag. In fact, I would have been ok with the episode ending without that last telling scene with Eva. Having the show back was good enough for this week, we'll start to tackle the vast conspiracy in the coming weeks. For more on what's in store for season three, be sure to check out Rich's report from the Eureka Comic-Con panel.

Best crazy science quote of the week: "Maybe that photon blast she absorbed somehow supercharged her microprocessor."

Will Allison and Stark walk down the aisle?
Yes, and it will drive Carter crazy.39 (12.8%)
They might get to the aisle, but they won't finish the ceremony.195 (63.9%)
Not a chance.71 (23.3%)

Eric Cousino

Did you see the text on the heads up display from Martha? Each time it saw a new person it pull up a bio for them.
I noticed a couple of things.
Zoe, her GPA is 4.0 and her real hair color is unknown.
Eva Thorne her age is "classified".
Every other character had their age listed.
I may be taking a big leap here but the final scene where she is eyeing a vial of blue liquid was obviously alluding to a big story arch. I wonder if it has to do with longevity/immortality serum?

August 01 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Well... I liked it. I liked Martha's R2-D2-like vocalizations. Although, with so many references to how Ethan's drones always lose, I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a single Washington Senators reference.

And I didn't get the product placement at all--what was it??

August 01 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i enjoyed the episode. the product placement was weird, but i understand why they did it. can't wait for next tuesday!

August 01 2008 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomstick

Taggert is annoy-annoy-annoying!!! Everyone one of his quirky characters is just another rehashing of M-m-m-max Head-head-headroom. Annoying. His accent is really bad too. A accident at Global Dynamics with Taggert as the only victim would be the best thing to happen to this show.

Obvious product placement will be a staple for all future television shows. As it becomes more mainstream, the placement of the sponsors products will become more obvious.

:sad times:

July 30 2008 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

The product placement, and their reasoning/excuse whatever you call it, is horrible. And there will be an entire episode of this crap?!?!?

It looked to me like the Fixer will just be another Beverly.

This episode was a C.

July 30 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I was really disappointed to see that taggart will be back. He is by far, my least favorite character.

It'll be interesting to meet carter's sister later in the season.

July 30 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I find it hilarious that there's a Homehardware beside Cafe Diem.

The best scientists in the world, and one of them decides to franchise a Canadian hardware store!! I know its actually just because of the Vancouver locale, but it would be cool if they gave it an in story explanation since its sooo obvious.

July 30 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Mahoney

Am i the only one who noticed "Martha" knew everyone's age except Eva's? Eva's age was classified, but why? My money is on her being more familiar with Eureka than anyone in the town or DoD knows...

July 30 2008 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
betsyw

~ his comment is half way through the July 22nd entry on http://eurekaunscripted.tumblr.com/page/4

July 30 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to betsyw's comment
bamberluvr

Thanks for the link. I think the blatant product placement was supremely lame. Not only did The Fixer mention it outright (and in the stupidest of relation to the story), the cargo of anti-perspirants kept rolling by with the logo emblazoned on every side. My attention was drawn away from the story. If this is what we have to look forward to in the future, I, sadly, will not be watching. The show is known for its quirks, but this is well beyond quirky - it's downright annoying.

July 30 2008 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
betsyw

Jamie Paglia explains about the product placement at http://eurekaunscripted.tumblr.com/page/4

July 30 2008 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply