October 22, 2014

Freddie Prinze, Jr. in WWE ... WTF?

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 30th 2008 5:25PM
WWEIn a move that has me shaking my head, Freddy Prinze, Jr. will be working behind the scenes at World Wrestling Entertainment for both their television product and pay-per-views. I recognize that wrestling is a big industry and Freddy's movie career hasn't been exactly stellar as of late (I'm sure he's done movies, but none I've heard of), but wrestling?

"Bringing on board an experienced Hollywood writer, actor and producer like Freddie Prinze Jr. will only increase the level of entertainment to millions of viewers and passionate WWE fans every Monday on USA," said Chris McCumber, Executive Vice President Marketing Digital and Brand Strategy at USA Network.

Freddie (I feel weird calling him by his first name, but I certainly don't want to call him "Prinze") has already appeared on camera at the last Wrestlemania and is active on their fan blog. Obviously, he's a fan.

I wonder what his wife, Sarah Michelle Gellar, thinks of all this? Since both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and WWE programming used to be on UPN, she's probably used to it by now.

Brent McKee

Maybe Freddie can take some acting lessons from the wrestlers. It certainly couldn't hurt.

July 31 2008 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Maybe he's going to do the rewrites for the next WWE movie? i hear The Condemned 2: Even More Hypocricy is going to be awesome.

July 31 2008 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Why is this site so broken? It looks funky in IE 6, 7 and FF 3.

July 30 2008 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

What about Paul Goebel giving up his movie career to join TV Squad? I'm still shaking my head on that one.

July 30 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Yes, shake your head at the fact that he's taking a job working in an industry he's obviously a huge fan of. Cause, you know, he gave up such a high profile movie career for the position.

July 30 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Yep, Freddie Prinze, Jr. is a writer for RAW, and Mike Adamle (of original American Gladiators fame) is the on-screen general manager of RAW. Baffling.

July 30 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrew's comment
Greg

Even weirder is Adamle used to be the sports anchor on the various local news channels when I was growing up in Chicago. Seeing him on the old AG was odd enough. This may be too much...

July 30 2008 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Thanks for pointing that out, C.A. I've corrected the spelling error.

July 30 2008 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brad Trechak's comment
C.A.

No problem, sorry for being a spelling Nazi.

July 31 2008 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

I think you should feel weird calling him Freddy since his name is spelled Freddie, the only times you got it right were in quotes. Sigh.

July 30 2008 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Why would you be shaking your head at any person taking a job in any industry they've always enjoyed?

July 30 2008 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Wasn't he in the "Scooby Doo" movies?

July 30 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply