October 25, 2014

If you comment on this post, Patton Oswalt will hate you - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 30th 2008 3:01PM
Patton OswaltSo, what's more evil to you, ultimate fighting or bloggers/commenters?

That's the question that will be debated tonight at 10:30 pm on the second season opener of Comedy Central's Root of All Evil. Arguing that ultimate fighting is worse is Andy Daly, while Patton Oswalt argues that blogs and the people who comment on them (cough) are the true evil in this world.

You know, even though I blog all day long I can see Oswalt's point, especially about the comments left on some blogs. I mean, at least with ultimate fighting, if you don't like it, you can ignore it completely. It's a niche thing. But if you're the type of person who reads blogs and reads the comments section of many blogs or you work on the web, it's hard to get away from, and many comments are just...ugh. It's easy to do when you're anonymous. You can really put forth the hate and vitriol (but not here, because TV Squad readers are absolute saints).

Oswalt has a blog too. Not sure if he reads the comments. After the jump, the opening arguments from tonight's show.

[via Tuned In]

james.sparks

FIRST!

July 31 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

So Patton must really hate seeing me hate you Bob *snicker*

I guess the difference between here and real life would be that I'm just the same person (spoken and written word included) in real life and you'd most likely not listen to me :-)

Gotta love blogs because suddenly people care about what you say. Bloggers and commenters are so neatly co-dependent. If we don't answer you, you feel unimportant. If we do you ask yourself why we don't just shut the f up ^^;

July 30 2008 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weston deboer

who?

July 30 2008 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I comment quite politely and I don't really get very upset because I don't read the other comments. I ignore other people's opinions and I'm having a fantastic life!!

Oh crap, one of my blinders just fell on my keyboard.

July 30 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Okay, Patton will have to just hate me, 'cause I'm going to comment...

Truthfully, I don't mind the comments on TV Squad. Most everyone here is respectful of everyone else, and are smart enough to ignore the really nasty ones (which thankfully are very few).

But there are blogs and forums where there is so much hatred I won't read the comments, even if I do read the initial post. RSS feeds help here, since I can read the post without the comments. I simply don't bother with anything that looks like I might be attacked for simply showing up.

Thank you to TV Squad and their commenters for keeping this place nice enough to hang around.

July 30 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry. Never gonna say goodbye. Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

July 30 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

All blogs, bloggers and commenters are evil. The only one worth its existence is the singular blog that openly admits its evilness, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

All other blogs should fade away, or be eliminated in some ultimate fighting deathmatch. If that should happen it'd be interesting to see which bloggers decide to fight wearing mexican wrestler masks.

July 30 2008 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

OK, I'll admit I'm a rabid commenter (evidenced by my current rabid commenting), but I do try to avoid the vitriol as, you know, it's just plain mean. However, I sadly also represent the people who possibly have way too much time on their hands and waste it reading/commenting on blogs, rather than doing things they're paid for - like say, work . . .

July 30 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply