November 26, 2014

Love Connection is not one of the best game shows of all-time

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 30th 2008 2:06PM
Ken OberAh, another day, another list. This one is from PopCrunch, and it lists the 25 Best Game Shows of All-Time. And yes, it will provoke discussion and hair-pulling.

It's not a bad list actually, as these things go. It's a little predictable (and I certainly wouldn't have included Love Connection, Deal or No Deal, or Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?), but there are some good choices here. Press Your Luck was a great show (though it should be higher on the list), and it's hard to argue with how high shows like Jeopardy and The Price is Right are. I also like that they included The Mole (the first two Anderson Cooper-hosted seasons) and Remote Control.

I think if Queen For A Day was around today it would probably be considered a reality/game show and would be hosted by Maury Povich. There are some that would argue shows like Survivor aren't game shows, they're reality shows. But I think they're more game shows than something like The Real World or The Two Coreys.

Missing: Concentration, Twenty-One (yes, even with the scandal), To Tell The Truth, Liar's Club, What's My Line?, and any show Bill Cullen hosted, no matter what it was.

Anything else missing?

[via Pop Candy]

Christopher Cook

Love Connection shouldn't be on the list because it's not even a game show. Just a cheesy interview show.

August 20 2008 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I agree that the classics are underrepresented, and would also add all of Lucyfan's choices. As far as more modern shows go, I'm glad to see Remote Control, Win Ben Stein's Money and Cash Cab on the list.

Other shows I would've put on the list -

The Weakest Link
Beat the Geeks
Distraction
The Gong Show
The New Treasure Hunt
Make Me Laugh
Supermarket Sweep
Beat The Clock
Truth or Consequences

The following are included on the principle of "Hey, if Survivor and Amazing Race count..." -

Iron Chef
Ninja Warrior
Robot Wars
Battlebots
Junkyard Wars
Takeshi's Castle

July 31 2008 at 5:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bjwanlund

Yuck. Survivor and The Amazing Race? Oh, yuck. They ain't even GAME SHOWS, dammit. But at least he acknowledged the absolute GENIUS that was Double Dare (Nickelodeon).

BJ

July 30 2008 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

The beauty of Remote Control were early career showings by Colin Quinn and Denis Leary. To not mention that is a shame.

July 30 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Totally agree on Tattletales....and what about Joker's Wild!!!! Joker...Joker.....Jooooohhker!!!

July 30 2008 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Pretty good list, but obviously compiled by someone who has not lived through the real Golden Age of Game Shows from the 50s to the 70s and only knows the 70s and 80s shows from GSN. It really is appalling that What's My Line?, To Tell the Truth or I've Got a Secret aren't on that list. WML is the longest running primetime game show in history! Concentration should be on the list - but no one's seen it in years so it's forgotten. One of my favorites was Split Second, hosted by Tom Kennedy. Press Your Luck should be higher. What about Card Sharks, High Rollers (with Alex Trebek and Ruta Lee!), or Tattletales? There was also a very short-lived but terrific show hosted by Tom Kennedy called Whew! but I think I'm the only person who ever watched it! And YAY for Remote Control. I always wanted to be on that show. And you do know Queen for a Day IS coming back, right?

July 30 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply