April 17, 2014

Mark McGrath to be replaced by Mario Lopez on Extra

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 30th 2008 9:24AM
mark mcgrath mario lopezWho's ready for a Sugar Ray reunion? Anybody? Hello?

Well, ready or not, you're going to get one. Mark McGrath, the Sugar Ray frontman-turned-entertainment-reporter is leaving Extra. Some reports say he's been fired, but The Hollywood Reporter is claiming that he really just wanted to get back to the band.

McGrath has been on hiatus from Sugar Ray for the past three years as he hosted Extra, but now the band is heading back to the studio and Mario Lopez is stepping up to take his spot behind the anchor desk. Lopez's much lauded muscles are apparently too big to share the stage, though. McGrath's co-host, Dayna Devon, has been demoted to Special Correspondent and backup host for Lopez.

I will always look at Lopez as A.C. Slater, so the idea of him becoming a "journalist" kind of makes me laugh. But then again, it's not like Mark McGrath was exactly the second coming of Cronkite. Besides, anyone who could stand 6 inches away from Miss Teen South Carolina as she rambled on about "The Iraq" without completely losing it obviously has some talent.

R

I HATE Mario Lopez. He's arrogant, too cocky, and just full of shit. I wouldn't watch him if you paid me.

July 31 2008 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Who keeps giving this guy jobs? He's as bad as Ryan Seacrest. He just says yes to everything he's offered just so he can stay relevant. "America's Best Dance Crew", does he still host "America's Funniest Pets" on Animal Planet? "Extra" is a gag inducing show anyways so its not like I'll watch no matter who the host is.

July 30 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

I like Mario. I like Mark. Basically, they're just switching one pretty boy for another. Mark needs to get back to Sugar Ray to regain some cajones/character. On "Extra", he's nothing but a bland piece of white bread.

p.s. - Thanks for posting the "Miss Teen South Carolina" link. I was just thinking about that train wreck the other day. PRICELESS!

July 30 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I am SO GLAD I don't watch EXTRA. Mario Lopez makes me nauseous. He needs to get his big old nose fixed, followed by his arrogance and lack of intelligence. IMHO he is, at best, bi-sexual which is absolutely fine but it makes his butch act pretty funny to watch. I guess we can just add Mario to the overkill pile, along with Rachel Ray. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

July 30 2008 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
liz

Sorry to see Mark go...He's why I watched them instead of ET. Mario's ok, but his voice
annoys me after more than a few sentences.
I think its a mistake...!!

July 30 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

Can I just say that I'm glad to hear Mark and the rest of the band are getting back in the studio. Say what you want about them "selling out" or "going mainstream", but I consider their last 3 albums to be really solid and I'm looking forward to whatever they come up with next.

July 30 2008 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply