September 1, 2014

Heroes creator Kring worries about online content, product placement

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 1st 2008 12:01PM
Heroes logoAnd thousands of Heroes fans around the world say "well, duh."

Heroes creator Tim Kring admits that there might be a little bit too much going on in the show's universe. At a NATPE LATV Festival panel discussion, Kring says that there might be so much content going online -- and so many employees working on the online content -- that it sort of takes away from the experience of the show and the storyline, especially if you have a creative team working online that really isn't close to the team that works on the TV show. Sounds like he's referring (strongly) to the much-maligned second season of the show.

He also thinks that all of the product placement and corporate sponsorship that the show has doesn't help either.

I actually agree with this, to a certain extent. I like to see the creative people just do a show (or a movie or whatever) and I try not to get involved in these odd online offshoots that spring up. In a way it muddies the storyline and just gets either confusing or just gets to be too much of that world.

I'd rather watch Heroes on TV and stick with that part of the Heroes world, than go online and watch some minor plot with secondary characters (or even further down on the character chain, including new characters). I feel the same way about Lost; a lot of the extra stuff is really interesting, but in a way I don't want to be bothered with it. Of course, it's a different world, and a lot of fans really love this stuff.

litehousebeacon

Are they planning on putting the online content on the DVDs?

August 10 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I don't even pay attention to the online content from Heroes.

August 10 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

At least they're not doing in Heroes ("Blue Nissan Versa!!!" aside) what they're doing in Eureka. UGH.

August 01 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tucker's comment
Joey Geraci

We don't know how bad the product placement in Eureka is going to be yet. At least they are being somewhat honest, and calling it sponsorship, in the world of the show.

August 01 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I liked it at first. I was hugely into Lost, and all the web searches and cool stuff. But now I'm a bit bored with it all. I don't WANT spoilers anymore. I don't want bells and whistles. I just want a good story, that will keep me chewing my fingers. It is like reading the last page of a book, which I also used to do.

August 01 2008 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Brennan-White

I want a comic starring Moist, my favorite Dr. Horrible character.

August 01 2008 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

The comics should have been published in collaboration with a traditional publisher methinks, even if also published online. Its not like Marvel has no experience with putting comics online. Newsarama also does a great job with online comics.

August 01 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i enjoy some of the online content. i don't keep up w/ all of the online comics, but i have checked some of them out and bought the book w/ all of the 1st season's included in it. i can see the point of the show's team and the online content team not working closely and how that could pose some problems. i think that branching out is understandable since this phenomenon is supposed to be happening worldwide, therefore there's all kinds of people w/ abilities that we don't get to see on the show and it's nice to see a bit of their stories sometimes online.

August 01 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Los

You know, I was really into the Heroes online Universe, big poster on the forums, speculator, etc. I even went so far as to create a whole set of Wallpapers that mimics "The List" and helix symbols from the show, from people who submitted their names from the 9th wonders forums.

But it all just got to be too much. Overloaded it way too much and it got to the point where it detracted from the story line happening on the show. They also need to cull some characters, there are really only a couple compelling ones left. I woudl say Parkman, Noah Bennet, Sylar, and Hiro would be enough. They aimed high, came close on Season 1, completely missed the planet they were aiming for in 2 and looks like their trying to over compensate for 3.

Oh Well, I'll still watch.

August 01 2008 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Didn't they themselves come up with the idea of the mini-spin-off-thing Origins?

August 01 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dreyesbo

Indeed. The universe from the graphic novels and the show's one seem like two different ones. And not to mention the Going postal series, which was awful in my opinion.

August 01 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply