April 19, 2014

Marvin The Martian coming to a theater near you

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 1st 2008 3:04PM
Marvin the MartianWhy do I think this is going to be really bad?

Warner Brothers has decided to make a big screen feature based on the Martin The Martin character, the little black and green guy who wanted to destroy Earth and/or Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck in several cartoons. Now, a feature film based on the character wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but here's the sentence that sends a shiver down my spine:

Project will blend live action and CGI.*

Ugh. They can't just do a straight animated movie, they have to have some sort of live element that just ruins it? The plot will have Marvin coming to Earth to destroy Christmas, only to get stuck in a box. Producers say the movie will be aimed at families and people who like movies that kinda suck. Of course, I truly hope I'm wrong. Marvin is a great, classic cartoon character.

*Another reason to hate that sentence: the idiotic writing style that Variety uses.

Pamela McCall

Say it isn't so. Another great character taken down by.

August 03 2008 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I always liked Marvin as a character, but I have great doubt that he could carry a movie on his own. Without Bugs, Daffy or others of the Looney Tune Universe I think this project will tank.

August 03 2008 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Sounds awful

August 01 2008 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sour

It usually depends on what they do. If they mix in some lightly veiled adult oriented humor then animated movies can do fine. It wasn't just the popularity of Bill Murray that carried Space Jam... some of the cartoon humor was aimed at the parents the kids took with them and, as a result, it was enjoyable by most. (I guess having Michael Jordan in it didn't hurt either)

If it's antisepticly kid friendly they're wasting production time and money on a character most children don't even know.

That "Christmas" features a role in the plot pretty much tells you what the movie will be.

August 01 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ORKMommy

From the Variety article:

Johnson and Kosove told Daily Variety that "Marvin" will be aimed at the family demo along the same lines as Alcon's "Racing Stripes" and "My Dog Skip."

I've never even heard of "My Dog Skip" and "Racing Stripes" wasn't exactly family oriented in my opinion. As much as I love Marvin, I doubt I'll pay to see this in the theater.

August 01 2008 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

90 minutes more or less with a lead character that has no nose or lips? Good luck with that.

August 01 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

When I first read the headline my initial assumption was it would probably be a CGI cartoon. A blend of live action and cell animation will probably tank, I agree. IMHO, the only time that was done with any real success was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Besides, I don't think the Marvin character is strong enough to headline a movie.

Gotta totally agree with you on hating the writing style Variety uses.

August 01 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Who was the original voice talent; are they still alive?

August 01 2008 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Galley's comment
marvin

The voice artist was Mel Blanc and he is dead. Marvin is one of the greatest characters created but this movie is a bad idea. Some how the WB will screw it up. So sad.

August 02 2008 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply