September 21, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 4 Revealed

by Kristin Sample, posted Aug 1st 2008 9:00AM
(S04E21) Nigel told the final six that while they were getting plenty of applause and adulation on the show, they would have to get used to rejection if they continue on this career path. He advised that they use the rejection to propel them forward. But, the final six shouldn't feel too bad because each one of them got over a million votes going into this results show.

And the stakes are even higher going into the finale. Adam Shankman has added a role as a featured dancer in his new movie to the winner's prize package.

So let's see who will be battling it out next Thursday on So You Think You Can Dance.

THE OPENING PERFORMANCE

This week's opener was a Mandy Moore contemporary piece to "The Rose" by Bette Midler, only one of the most gorgeous songs ever. And the number did not disappoint. I loved the spotlights on the dancers at the very end. The dance was chilling and still and lovely. What did you think?

THE GUEST PERFORMANCES

Okay, the little kid ("Little Demon") was adorable but that solo went on too long. I was like, "this kid is still crawling around the stage?" Let's be honest, despite his tininess, adorableness, and evident talent, he should have got the "So You Think You Can Dance. Dance Dance. Dance." hook after about thirty seconds. I loved Cat picking him up and talking to him. She's so sincere, a refreshing contrast to Seacrest douchebaggery.

I guess I'm not up on my pop music anymore. Lady GaGa was confusing, especially the part with the glowing rock. She reminded me of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings with that thing (except not in a good way). That costume too was like someone dressed a Barbie doll with all random pieces. I've got these strappy shoes from UFO Barbie. And I've got these sunglasses from Mad Max Apocalypse Barbie. And I'll use the leotard from Workout Barbie and pair it with the red coat from Equestrian Barbie.

THE SOLOS

Courtney danced to "Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy. She's a lovely joyful dancer, but her solos are getting a bit stale. I think that's more an indication of her not being the best choreographer, rather than her not being the best dancer. I feel like she throws in a turn, falls to the floor, throws her body into a layout when she's on her knees and it's over. But, I will say that choreographing solo after solo for this show has got to be difficult.

Mark danced to "Wind It Up" (Original Neptunes Version) by Gwen Stefani. That's right he danced to a Gwen Stefani song. I've said he was effeminate before and I'll say it again. If you still don't agree with me after watching that solo, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. He's kitschy and quirky and his style has a definite female quality. You'll see when he gets cast as the star of Cabaret on Broadway. If he can even carry a tune, he would be perfect for it. By the way ... loved the suspenders. Loved them.

Katee danced to "Beautiful Disaster" by Jon McLaughlin. A fine job. She's been very consistent with her solos. But I think she truly shines when she's part of a group dance or when she's dancing with a partner.

Joshua performed to "I Can Make You Dance" by Zapp. He was okay. Yeah, just okay. I'm spoiled, I know. It was more of his great musicality and isolations but none of his cool tricks. This may be a little harsh considering all the fantastic work he's done on the show but this solo was on par with a New Orleans street performer, not a professional dancer.

Chelsie danced to "Girls Gone Wild" by Travis Tritt. "It sucks," Chelsie said of having to do solos when she's so used to dancing with a partner. Well, she didn't suck by any stretch. But, I don't know how smart it was to do more of Jive routine when her greatest strength is very clearly Latin ballroom. What did you guys think of it?

Twitch performed to "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.
Great song. It lent itself well to Twitch's comedic style and finally, the glasses made sense!

THE ELIMINATIONS

Katee [SAFE]
Joshua [SAFE]
Courtney [SAFE]
Twitch [SAFE]
Chelsie [ELIMINATED]
Mark [ELIMINATED]

I think it was Mark's time. Actually it was Mark's time before it was Will's time. But let's not open up old wounds. Mark was a great performer and an interesting dancer, but I think America made the right choice by putting Twitch and Joshua in the finale. As for Chelsie, I was undecided. I don't like going into a finale without ballroom being represented. But, Courtney has been a joy to watch so I'm psyched for her.

My pick for the winner? Joshua.

Who's going to win?
20 (1.6%)
Twitch161 (12.9%)
Joshua446 (35.8%)
Katee539 (43.3%)
Courtney80 (6.4%)

Sam Mendelow

I would like to know if and when a repeat showing of the Finale, from August 7th will appear again on television. Thanks.

August 08 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

Alright, I haven't been an avvvvid watcher of this show until this season, but people on the Fox.com message boards keeps saying that Mark and Chelsie will be back next week? What does that mean? Do some of the kicked off people go back for some reason? I'm kind of confused...

August 02 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Kris's comment
Jen

did anyone see last year's tour shows & if they did popular dances from the weekly shows??

August 01 2008 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaycee

Okay, I know I am out of the loop...but what is the meaning of the open hand on the shoulder????

August 01 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kaycee's comment
Kris

It means "IV REAL".
It's an inside joke that originated with Twitch, Joshua, Will and Comfort about the 4th (IVth) Season but now nearly everyone on the show does it as well. Hope that helped.

August 02 2008 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
acon89

I love Twitch and think he's got a great chance to win it, he's definitely most improved in all the other areas that aren't his strength. I'm a nerd I even found Twich's symbol t-shirt and bought one! http://popshirts.spreadshirt.com

I like Katee too but all her solos look the same, branch out a little girl.

August 01 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

IMIMO...Mark was def not the best dancer...

August 01 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally

Lady Gaga? What the heck was that? I'm happy to see Courtney in the Top 4. I love her solos, and it's cool to see her up there, because she has not been a front runner this season. A little surprise is always good. Chelsie being chosen would have been way too predictable. Sad to see Mark go, but I was actually shocked he stuck it out for as long as he did. I think Joshua is going to take the win.

Recap and Top 20 rundown here: http://www.spunkybean.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=571&Itemid=54

August 01 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fowak

There will be the top 10 on tour and probably two female and two male alternates. At least that is how it was last year. They took Shauna, Anya, Hok and Jesus last year in addition to the top 10.

I'm pretty darn bummed that Mark is gone :( I loved that guy. And all his quirkiness. But what a great loser he turned out to be, so happy for Twitch.

If Joshua wins, I have no idea how I'm going to feel about this show anymore. He is by far the least talented dancer to make it to a Top 4 in 4 seasons.

August 01 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Congratulations America, you just voted off the two best dancers on the show.

In short, Courtney and Joshua, when compared to Chelsie and Mark, lack personality and use the same ol' bag of dance tricks when it comes to their solos.

My vote is now for Katee.

August 01 2008 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Melissa's comment
David

You're kidding, right? Chelsie is a one-trick pony: shake hips, kick feet, smile big, repeat. Mark is interesting, but in that weird way, and his solos were crap going back to even the first ones. He should have gone before Gev. He'll do great on Broadway though.

America got it 100% right this week, after last week's grossly unjust dismissal of Will.

My prediction: Joshua and Katee will take it to 2, and Josh will win the crown.

August 01 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

I agree, but now my vote goes to Joshua

August 01 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie Fan

Josh got his braces off!!! and that body.... WHEW!

August 01 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply