September 2, 2014

In Plain Sight: To Serge with Love

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 4th 2008 9:40AM
IPS Mary(S01E10) What does Mary expect? I mean, really, what does she expect! Okay, before we get to the gory details, let's talk about the case of the week.

Remember the Russian girl from the pilot? Natasha with the new boobs -- thanks to the U.S. government, our tax dollars -- has gotten a job at Headlights (nee Hooters) and has hooked up with a new guy.

Turns out he's Marshall's charge, another program member, Serge. The problem is not just the huge coincidence that they've hooked up, it's that she's a witness and he's a felon, they cannot stay together.

I was with Mary on this one; I didn't trust Serge. I didn't believe he was sincerely in love with Natasha. However, Mary ripping off his computer was blatantly illegal. The evidence would have been thrown out in court, but maybe the WITSEC program has different rules when dealing with felons.

Whatever, the bottom line is that her Charles Bronson bluster broke the case opened and revealed just how big a pile of steaming poo Serge really was.

Speaking of steaming piles, what the hell is wrong with Brandi? Could she really be this dumb? She listens to the never-seen Chuck in New Jersey and agrees to sell the cocaine and deal with the lowlifes. I don't think so. This is the same girl who gave Chico a hard time about doing his laundry. Would she break a nail for Chuck let alone commit a felony?

The baby twist took me by surprise. But even as wasted as the chick in the hotel was, why did she let Brandi into the toilet -- twice -- knowing they were hiding the kid? I liked Brandi coming back with Biscuit, the teddy bear and the back story about Mary having given it to her. Brandi's choosing to do the right thing -- but in her own screwed up way -- is going to lead to no good (as the preview revealed).

Finally, the finish. Mary just uses her keys to walk into Raph's house where he's conveniently comforting a sleeping Brandi. Naturally, Mary storms out. Are you kidding me? I'd be screaming bloody murder. Why is Brandi there? Why didn't she get on the plane? And Raph should be screaming, too -- why are you letting yourself into my house when you broke up with me?

Other points of interest

-- It was great to see Mary and Marshall at odds. They're fun when they're fighting.

-- Stan is still ineffectual. His character may be one of the worst I've encountered on TV drama in a while.

-- Didn't Mary throw Brandi and Jinx out of the house last week? Now she's paying for Brandi's flight out of town? And apparently Jinx is still living there. So much for that dramatic moment.

-- I loved Mary calling Brandi on watching The Secret with Jinx. Mary denouncing the magic of the universe was classic Shannon.

-- Did you notice that Mary was driving the WITSEC SUV? Why does she drive the Ford Probe on the job sometimes, but here on a personal errand, she's using the government car?
Was it right of Mary to let herself in to Raph's house unannounced?
Yes42 (29.0%)
No55 (37.9%)
She should have called first48 (33.1%)

Paul

Does anyone know the name of the actor who played Chuck? I know I've seen him somewhere.

August 06 2008 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul's comment
TeresaMac

His name is Mark Sheppard, and he's been in Firefly (Badger), X-Files (guy who could set himself on fire, and Battlestar Gallactica (Romo Lampkin). And lots of other things of course, but that's all I remember him from.

August 12 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Puck

I can't believe that you forgot the best line of the show! It was when Mary found out that Marshall had gotten the USB drive analyzed:

Mary: "I love you like an 8 dollar whore!"

Frickin' hilarious.

August 04 2008 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Puck's comment
Jennifer

Not to mention Marshall's remark along the lines of "I'm sure you meant that as a compliment."

August 08 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Overall, I liked this episode, particularly as its opening showed Mary assisting Marshal on a case as opposed to vice versa.

When Brandi said Raph was the best Mary could do, I objected. Raph is the guy who refused to attend Mary's birthday as they'd already had sex, but then proposes a month later. While Raph is the best Brandi can do, Mary can do better. Although a Mary-Marshal hookup might not happen, I loved their banter (MS: 'I guess it'd be wrong for us to take a shower together' MM: 'On so many levels') and want to see this relationship fleshed out either romantically or friendship-wise. Contrary to 'Lola,' recent episodes have knocked them down to professionals who hang out together as opposed to 'best friends'-

I'd also like to see more M & M backstory. Considering his continuing crush, I find it difficult to believe he never hinted at something more, even if Mary appeared oblivious -

Side note: I have a question about witsec professions. The episode with the African-American doctor emphasized his leaving not just his specialization but the entire medical field as he 'would stand out.' However, we see an art dealer opening an art gallery; two feuding, yet religiously dedicated Catholic soup kitchen missionaries remaining two feuding, yet religiously dedicated Catholic soup kitchen missionaries and a Romanian bookkeeper almost remaining a Romanian bookkeeper. So, what's going on and why the variation in the show - Plus, wouldn't a Romanian bookkeeper, with a breast obsession, stand out?

August 04 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anita's comment
Jennifer

To be fair, they said "specialized professions." As in, they could probably be tracked by medical licenses and stuff, and he'd have to show records that he's allowed to practice with his real name on them. Art dealers and soup kitchen employees are probably a dime a dozen, or at least you don't have to be licensed to do it.

August 08 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply