September 20, 2014

The Next Food Network Star runner up gets a show, too

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 4th 2008 8:04PM
Adam GertlerEven though Food Network has had a few hiccups lately especially on The Next Food Network Star, I'm happy to see that the execs still can spot talent when it crosses their path. I watched the finale of The Next Food Network Star and saw Aaron McCargo Jr. win the title and then caught his new show Big Daddy's House. He was excellent and far more relaxed and appealing than he was on the competition show.

In fact, in the finale episode, I was more impressed with one of the two contestants that didn't win, Adam Gertler. Now Food Network is giving Gertler his own show. The program is called Will Work for Food and it's going to be premiering on September 30 on Food Network.

"On The Next Food Network Star, Adam exhibited a unique combination of quick wit, passion for food and an engaging personality," said Bob Tuschman, Food Network senior VP. "He earned millions of fans across the country, who have let us know that we have a second star in our midst. We feel this series is a perfect fit for his talents, letting him showcase his brand of humor while he works for food."

Actually, I liked the pilot project Adam did for The Next Food Network Star, in which he interacted with a viewer via web hook up and jazzed up a classic recipe in his own style.

The main thing about Adam is that he has great rapport with the camera and a personal quality that comes across. He has a solid food background and if Food Network didn't put him on a show, some other channel would have. That happened in 2006 with Nathan Lyon. After losing on The Next Food Network Star, he was signed by Discovery Health and has his own show now called A Lyon in the Kitchen.

So, when all is said and done, Food Network has to be thrilled. Out of one reality competition show, they've come up with two stars with real growth potential. With Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse moving on, it was time to expand.

linda

Glad to read this. I was very disappointed at the Las Vegas segment. Aaron had lost that challange and they wanted him to win and gave him another shot by not taking him off the show.
Food Network was a real let down with this show.

September 08 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce

Way to go, Adam!!! You have ALWAYS been our STAR!!! We cannot wait to see you!!!

August 15 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SAM OConnell

AM I RIGHT THAT "ROSIE" IS GOING TO BE A PART OF THE DAY TIME FOOD SHOW WHY DO THIS TO THE YOUNG LADY RUNNING THE SHOW - ROSIE IS NOT LIKED AND AS SCREWED UP THE LAST FEW SHOWS SHE AS BEE A PART OF. MAN WHAT CHAICE THIS HAS BEEN AND YOU TASTE IS AS BAD AS MOST OF THE CDOMMERCIALS.

August 12 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Edsell

"He has a solid food background..."

Ha! How about a show that focuses solely on non-solid foods? It could be called "Liquid Lunch."

August 06 2008 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pam

I would have liked to have seen Lisa win. She was not only quite the fashion mod but also her knowledge of cooking was extreme

August 06 2008 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I just want the recipe for the beer can chicken! :) I haven't gone to the Food Network website today - maybe they've posted it....

Good for Adam. I did like his show pitch tho - thought it was a really clever way to reach out to the viewers and make it interactive. Yeah, I get the roast chicken blues too!

August 05 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

as I indicated in a post on an earlier story, Lisa is a MUCH better fit for Fine Living Network, a sister network to FN. In fact, given her high fashion meets fancy cooking perspective, I'm really surprised that she hasn't had a show announced for that network yet.

the Adam announcement is great news. I'm sorry that they didn't follow up on his internet premise, but this one sounds like a solid idea for a show. it sounds like it will allow more of his personality, showmanship and wit to come through, sort of like what they've done with Guy F.

August 05 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Ahh this is the best news ever! I can't wait to watch Adam's show. I was thinking about boycotting the Food Network for what they did to him but now I don't have to!

August 05 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

Great news for Adam. He definitely should have won the competition.

The other "finalist" Lisa must be pissed.

August 05 2008 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to CRVBOY's comment
Oreo

Which makes the news so much better. :)

August 05 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I'm sure she'll move on to, not necessarily better things, but fabulous nonetheless.

And to whoever said they should also award 2nd place winners in Design Star up there... word. Though I *did* vote for David, Kim, and now Jen in their respective seasons (because their final rooms were much better than their competitor and I liked their personality more), their runner-up would've been a nice addition to the HGTV family.

August 05 2008 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cadam

That is good news....I will definitely make an effort to watch Adam's show.
Now, if HGTV would do the same thing with the runner-up of Design Star....I would be doubly happy.

August 05 2008 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cadam's comment
lucyfan62

My thoughts exactly! Matt was much better on camera during his hosting segments - Jen's "BYE!" at the end of her hosting segments would have gotten her eliminated right off the bat if I were a judge! - and I think he did a much better design job over the course of the show. Jen's trademark was the art on the wall, but not every homeowner is going to want that and she had to include it in every design once the judges latched onto it. It makes her look like a one trick pony while Matt showed a lot of varying design skills. I won't watch her show when it premieres, but I would watch a show with Matt hosting. Come on HGTV! Give Matt a shot!!!! Let the TV pros pick a host! It shouldn't just be a popularity contest! Actually, I'd like to see Matt and Trish team up for a show!

August 05 2008 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply