August 22, 2014

According to Jim on DVD. Yippee.

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 5th 2008 7:33AM
According to JimHey, let's all mark our calendars, because it's a big day in the TV world. Now all the people who aren't watching According to Jim on TV can not watch it on DVD.

Season one of the ABC comedy (it's a comedy, right?) will be released on Oct. 21, 2008. It's part of a deal ABC Studios inked with Lionsgate Home Entertainment to distribute select titles on DVD. Season one of Reaper is next on Nov. 4, followed by Boy Meets World (which was discontinued in 2006), Hope and Faith, and 8 Simple Rules.

That's interesting, because I've got Season one of 8 Simple Rules here (no, I didn't buy it, a publicist sent it to me), and it's from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. So Lionsgate must be taking over distribution.

Lionsgate has been gaining steam in the homevid department lately. They recently signed a deal with Comcast Entertainment Group to distribute Sunset Tan, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Snoop Dogg's Father Hood, and Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane.

These must be handled by the Mediocre TV Department at Lionsgate headquarters. Ok, not Reaper -- that's in a league of its own. And I'll cut Lionsgate a little slack, since they also oversee Weeds and Mad Men.

But, really, the other shows? I don't know many people who watched the first runs on TV (although I must admit to having a sick fascination with the Kardashians). Who on earth is buying the DVDs? Maybe Lionsgate has a death wish ... ?

lucyfan62

That really sucks because I'm on the BVHE mailing list too and I was looking forward to my copy of REAPER! Curse you, Lionsgate!!!

August 05 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

Who among you all will be the first to admit it: you just can't forgive Jim Belushi for living longer than John did... to say nothing of having sustained popular success. I sometimes wonder what a 59-year-old John Belushi would be doing today: commercials (like Dennis Hopper), Pixar voices, playing Jack Black's father in pictures, etc.?Of course it's a mug's game to speculate like this, but still, the past can't be undone. Besides, there are lots of critically popular shows that I've never cared for: one man's meat and so on. Just say it once for the crowd and let it ride.

August 05 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

August 05 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike Doran's comment
RobynM

Actually, if anything, I've felt sorry for Jim having to live in the shadow of a deceased brother whom most consider to be vastly more talented.

That being said, I still don't watch his show - I'm not a big fan of domestic sitcoms.

August 06 2008 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Yea, Boy Meets World, in its first couple seasons, was a superb show. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

August 05 2008 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Instead of being so negative and finding another way to bash According to Jim -- your post should have shouted out that the great show REAPER is finally coming to dvd! I am so happy to hear about this because I was afraid it wasn't going to happen!

August 05 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I'm personally pretty psyched about Boy Meets World.

August 05 2008 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Why on earth someone would buy a DVD set of a reality show that wasn't worth watching in the first place when it aired is beyond me. Who wants to collect such dreck and keep it? Yuck. (And that last part applies to "According to Jim", as well, even though it's scripted--poorly.)

August 05 2008 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Total crap. We've got Sept 30 marked on our calendar.

August 05 2008 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply