December 22, 2014

Coming to the big screen: Magnum, Wonder Woman ... and V?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 5th 2008 2:04PM
Magnum, P.I. castWe all know that studios go ga-ga for big screen movies based on TV shows. Even if they tank, there seems to be an unending appetite to bring a beloved (or even semi-beloved) TV show to a theater near you: The Fugitive, Charlie's Angels, Transformers, The Beverly Hillbillies, Serenity (Firefly), The Simpsons, South Park, The Flintstones, The Jetsons...the list is endless. Now Den of Geek has a list of 23 shows that studios are planning to bring to the big screen.

But this list is really incomplete in so many ways. We've all heard that Magnum, P.I. might get the movie treatment, but this list only says that Matthew McConaughey might star and doesn't mention other people who have been rumored to have been attached to it in the past, including Ben Affleck and George Clooney.

It mentions that The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan might direct The Prisoner, but doesn't mention the AMC miniseries coming up. There's also no mention of I Dream of Jeannie, which could star Jessica Alba. And Hustle? It's not "coming" to America, they've been showing it for quite some time here.

But it's still an OK list. Other shows that might become movies include The A-Team, Dallas, Arrested Development, Thundercats, Wonder Woman, and even V. Wow...V? I loved the first one but when it became a series it was rather bad. Let's hope a big screen version isn't just an excuse to have more explosions.

[via Digg]

Tobias Funke

To keep abreast of the info on the arrested Development movie check out http://www.arrested-development-movie.vndv.com . im after tipsters who can throw me a bone when they find any new info on the interwebs regarding the Bluths. cheers

Toby Funke

August 06 2008 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jp

no list is complete without a 21 Jump Street movie....I know Johnny Depp will have to do that one since those Pirate movies tanked so bad

August 05 2008 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!

It's like my heart is getting hard!

August 05 2008 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

And absent from the list?

Warner Bros/Tim Burton/Johnny Depp "Dark Shadows"?

August 05 2008 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

The A Team? Beloved doesn't mean it was good, even then.

I also don't really see them capturing the feel of Magnum now. I just watched Miami Vice and while I can still watch the TV show in reruns, I just couldn't stomach the Foxx/Farrell movie (second attempt at that). Not that it was bad, it just didn't work for me. Had I not been thinking of the TV show it was trying to rehash, it might have seemed better.

....and ditto what Carissa said.

August 05 2008 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Its good to see the Hollywood Idea Tank cranking out the new ideas.

August 05 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeisureSuitLarry

Chances are very good that the V movie would be based on Kenneth Johnson's V:The Second Generation, which SUCKED! I loved the original miniseries as a kid. I also loved V:The Final Battle and at least liked a lot the miniseries. The latest novel leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully he's a better screenwriter than a novelist.

August 05 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply