November 23, 2014

Recently canceled shows I mourn

by Debra McDuffee, posted Aug 5th 2008 3:23PM
Alex O'Laughlin as Mick St. John in MoonlightThere will always be Buffy, Angel, Quantum Leap and Magnum, P.I. on my "Oh Man I Want New Episodes of These Shows" list, but what about the more recently canceled shows of the past few years? Are there any worth mourning?

Maybe not in the same way I mourn my culty loves and classic '80s shows, but there are a few worth mentioning....

Moonlight
Yep, I know, I am one of Those People -- a fan of Moonlight. Though I agree it was weak when it returned after the writer's strike, there were lots of things to love about this show: the vampire lore, the episodic mysteries, the way they could have taken the love story (had they not muffed it up in the last four episodes), the actors (Jason Dohring and Alex O'Laughlin; not Sophia Myles). I can't believe that I won't find out more of the back story with Joseph's family and Coraline.

The Nine
We don't have a lot of shows these days that are willing to explore characters in such depth; The Nine was willing to take it slow and really develop the intricacies of the character interactions on the backside of their traumatic hostage situation. There were mysteries regarding that, huge changes in the characters and their lives that we don't really know about, and motivations for actions left a mystery to the viewers. Some viewers may have found the pace a bit boring, but the acting was top-notch and the scripts written with such delicacy that I can't help but think we may have been in store for something great.

3 lbs.
This medical drama was canceled after what, three episodes? Not enough time, network people! A cross between House and Grey's Anatomy with a lead like Stanley Tucci surely would have found a viewership. It really was clever, charming, and interesting, though admittedly, perhaps not too original.

Miss Guided
I only caught an episode and a half of this quirky comedy, but I would have liked to see more. I loved the awkward lead, the oblivious hunk, and the ditsy former cheerleader. It had all the makings of "The Office Goes to High School", with a little "Square Pegs for the Faculty" thrown in for good measure.

Men in Trees

Why, oh why, didn't I watch this show when I had the chance? I probably caught two episodes of it and enjoyed them both. The Northern Exposure vibe, the fish-out-of-water character of Anne Heche's, and the charm of the backwoods hunks: it could have worked. Something didn't, or it wouldn't have been canceled, and probably I would have watched faithfully, but I still regret not watching when I had the chance.

Unhitched
I fully admit it: this show took a serious, plummeting fall into the chasm of Suck. Maybe it is because I went to high school with the creators and writers of the few few episodes that I wanted to give Unhitched more of a chance to come into its own. The episodes the creators wrote were funny, and do you all remember how ghastly Seinfeld was in its first season? I cannot help but think that with the talented cast they had that this show would have found its stride.

The real problem here seems to be that it is not in the best interest of the networks -- financially of course -- to give new shows a chance to reach their stride and their core viewership. What does this say about the future of TV? Maybe Joss Whedon's got it right with his Dr. Horrible online musical... who needs networks, anyway?

How about you? Where do you weigh in on the recently canceled shows?

Valentina

This sucks I will never know what happen on my favorit show .I love Moonlight it was one of the best shows on tv .Now i have to guess what happens to josph's and his love life and his crazy ex. Plus his bestfriend twisted life and wildness .I think the network should bring back this show.

September 08 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Valentina's comment
Tom Mcleod

LAS VEGAS. Yeah it had a good run but they ended it with the biggest cliffhanger possible coming off a really entertaining season, with no conclusion at all. Absolutely miserable.

September 23 2008 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hiro

Moonlight was my favorite show in a very long time, and my wife and I will miss our evenings after putting our kids to bed, curled up around an episode of Moonlight.

I also will miss Raines, a superb show with incredible acting. A bit sad/dark for mainstream (read: profitable) TV, so it didn't make it, but it was poignant and powerful, and I also mourn it's loss.

September 04 2008 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Tru calling, dresden files, nowhereman, Kindred the Embraced,Joan of Arcadia, Od5, Jake 2.0, Enterprise, Star Trek The Original, Tarzan (WB version), nightmare Cafe, Miracles, Invasion, Wolf Lake, Birds of Prey, Dark Skies WOW what a collection of great shows left as orphans..PS my daughter keeps saying Firefly..

September 03 2008 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Some great ones Od5, nightmare cafe, enterprise, birds of prey, Joan of arcadia (#1), miracles, jake 2.0,tru calling,Tarzan WB version (da), wolf lake, Kindred the embraced,Star Trek the Original Series..These were some of the best series that were cut short..PS My daughter keeps repeating Firefly..

September 03 2008 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaron

LOVED The Nine, and I think I was the only one who really liked Traveler

September 02 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
April

I miss Reasonable Doubt series. Tht WAS long time ago, i know, but it really is good and interesting. Marlie Matlin was good in this series.

September 02 2008 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kath40

I loved Moonlight and I miss it terribly. But I have to agree that somthig was off in the last 4 episodes. It was as if CBS was messing around with the shows original formula and trying to make it into a CSI or stinking COP show. Instead of keeping the original noir style, look and feel of the Mick and Beth love story and the continuation of the Vampier lore.
I hate corporate BS. They realy know how to mess up a good thing.

I also miss Journeyman and Men in Trees.

August 12 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PinkMagnolia

Moonlight was a fantastic show. ALL its actors were awesome - I'm a huge Sophia Myles fan. She made the show, IMHO. If she hadn't played Beth with such a sense of reality, the vampires in the show wouldn't have been believable. I'm so excited to see what projects she's involved in next!

I won't be watching any new shows this season. It isn't worth it anymore, networks don't give any shows a chance to develop.

August 12 2008 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

I want my Moonlight back!! I hate you, CBS!

August 11 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie Collins

I have never been so upset over a cancelled show as I am over Moonlight. I miss it terribly. Has anyone heard any news on it's star Alex O'loughlin in anything new? -------Debbie

August 10 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply