August 30, 2014

The Mole: Episode 10

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 5th 2008 1:22AM
the mole august 4(S05E10) "You go down the street and take a left at Jesus." - street directions to find the solution to a challenge

At first I thought this was the season finale of The Mole. Then I found out that it's actually next week where we found out who the Mole is and who wins the money. According to the preview for next week, we'll also have a reunion of the executed players and we'll find out how the Mole sabotaged the game and what clues the show laid out for us. The latter sounds great, but a reunion? I can't remember what the finales for the first two seasons of The Mole were like (the ones hosted by Anderson Cooper), but did they have a reunion finale too? If I remember correctly, the game didn't end on a test and we found out who did best and who won the money, it was actually another challenge that revealed the winner and the Mole (I think one finale challenge had them opening various doors to see who was behind it, or something like that?).

Anyway, let's get to what happened in this episode.

I have to say I agree with Mark, Craig, and Nicole about the "cut the wire" challenge: that's the most spy-like challenge we've seen on the show yet. And I also have to admit that I'm totally confused. I like to think of myself as a clever guy, but when they show that room with the letters on the wall and the giant clock in the middle of the room and the map with time zones and the letter puzzle...gah, I think my head would have exploded right then and there.

But you have to hand it to them, they actually figured it out. I can't stand watching Nicole during these challenges. If she's not the Mole, then she's one of these people who isn't as smart as she thinks she is (I don't care if she's a doctor or not). She's one of these people who says more words and tries to make it look like they're figuring things out, when they're really just spinning their wheels. I hate people like that.

Five more observations about this next-to-last ep:

- At one point, Nicole says "when life gets ridiculous, just do a dance." That's a nice sentiment and I can picture it on a t-shirt, but I don't quite believe someone like Nicole (if she's not the Mole) lives her life that way. She'd be more "when life gets ridiculous, make ridiculade, poison it, and give it to someone you don't like."

- Running around the streets of Buenos Aires, with the crazy traffic and all the people, looks 100 times more dangerous than being on Survivor and living in an animal-infested jungle for a month.

- When Nicole is being all Nicole-ish to Jon on the phone, he rolls his eyes like he's disgusted with her. If Nicole is the Mole, then Kelley is just lying to our face.

Since this is the last episode before we find out who the Mole is, I have to give my guess, eh? OK, I'm going to go with Craig. It's nothing incredibly scientific, but I come to my conclusion because I think that from day one it has just been too obvious that Nicole was screwing up challenges and being confrontational. As for Mark, I think he's worked way too hard to put money into the pot to be the Mole. If Nicole's the Mole, it would be a little anti-climatic for me. If Mark is the Mole, I will give him a standing ovation for a great performance.

But I think Craig has been one of the more low-key players, so you wouldn't suspect him, with a mix of really trying to win the challenges and quiet sabotage. And I think that whole thing with him getting really sick on the mountain and having to go to the hospital in the ambulance is a little fishy.

Who is the Mole?
Nicole132 (23.0%)
Mark144 (25.1%)
Craig298 (51.9%)

Tammy

Well, I was way off. I just didn't think it was Craig. I was quite suprised it was him. I would have been more surprised if it was Mark, but I was still quite surprised.

This is my first season watching the Mole from start to finish. I watched a portion of the Celebrity season once before. I hope it comes on again. It is fun, even if I am wrong.

August 12 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
windrookie

Bob, regarding what you said above " - Right before the first commercial break, there was a weird, alien-like sound made. Sort of a high pitched cartoon voice saying something like "gigigeb." Did anyone else hear that?"

I did hear this, so I decided to capture it to my computer. I slowed it down, nothing. Then I tried to reverse it and slow it down. Craig's name is very clear at the beginning, but after that it's unclear. Basically it sounds to me like, "Craig very mole." LOL, yeah I have way too much time on my hands, but I'm dying to find any clue that actually means something! I'm guessing this is the biggest nugget ABC producers were willing to give up this late in the season...

Anyway, I'll find it hard to believe that Craig isn't the mole after hearing this...

August 10 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I am 99.9% certain that Mark is not the mole. The only time Mark has not gone out and won a lot of money is when an exemption or the Mole's dossier was on the line. Does anyone remember the wine challenge? He was excellent in that game. He is always good at the game. He is all about the money and supporting his family. He is the person I have least expected from pretty much the beginning. I would be extremely shocked if he was the mole. I actually like him because he is trying so hard to win and doing such a good job on the challenges and I hope he wins.

I am more and more convinced that Nicole is the mole. I think it is between Nicole and Craig but I think it is Nicole. Here are a few more things that I have noted since my last post (#20).

Someone else mentioned that Nicole's name was on the paper in the dossier. Like they said, it may have been a computer graphics trick, but it definitely is there. I checked.

Do you remember Nicole and the video challenge? I remember watching it and thinking that she was so dumb in the way she did the video. She was horrible at it. I think it was intentional.

In the bomb challenge, she made the mistakes on the time zone map and did you see her stall when they went to cut the wires.

On the last show or two (I watched the last three), whenever the narrator said "Who is the mole?", the first person you see after the sentence is finished is Nicole. I saw that three times. Also, in the shows opening intro, you see the shadows of the players. When the narrator says "Who is the mole?", it is Nicole that they show next.

I thought it was interesting in the first challenge that Nicole got singled out to spend time on the beach. My assumption is that the producers needed to get her alone to tell her things she needed to know. Since she was obviously the winer, they set it up for her to get that. I assume they don't pick the mole until right before the show starts so they probably didn't have time to talk before. Also, why would they let anyone off the hook so early?

I listened to what Nicole said during these shows and she never talks about winning or getting the end money. She always talks about beating someone else or some philosophical concept. She doesn't seem to be about the money. Also, she seems to make sure that everyone knows she clicks fast on the test. I think that is so no one will suspect her.

When I thought it was Paul, I had a hard time finding reasons to support my theory. Now that I think it is Nicole I see them everywhere.

Tammy

August 07 2008 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tammy's comment
mb

If Nicole is the Mole, then she is the absolute worst Mole in the history of the franchise.

That actually might turn off a lot of people from the Mole because she really is irritating to watch. The previous Moles (in seasons 1-2) were really subtle and efficient at their jobs.

I'm already disgusted just thinking about Nicole being the Mole. I still think that it's Mark, and I pray that Nicole loses the game.

August 07 2008 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lexelle

After watching the last 2 episodes, I think that Mark is the mole. He seemed to really stall in the "spy" challenge during the last minute. As many other posters have already stated he keeps money out of the pot but draws the attention away from himself in the process. I hope that Craig is the winner, mainly because Nicole annoys me more and more with her actions.

August 06 2008 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt H.

Did anyone notice that that they didn't play the final three game that they've played every season of the Mole? It's the one where they ask a bunch of questions to each person and they have to pick one of the other 2 people as being the more likely answer. Then the one person hides and the other 2 have to correctly guess 3 of his or her answers to find them and win money. I remember on the first season one of the questions was "who is more likely to cheat on their significant other?" and things got pretty emotional. I am pretty sure they have always played this game on the final 3 episode and I was a little disappointed not to see it.

August 06 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I think the mole is Nicole. I had thought it was Paul (although I was questioning it of late) but wasn't changing my mind because I didn't know who else to pick.

Anyway, with Paul gone I went back to look at other shows. I saved them on my DVR so I could go back and review. Anyway, I think the mole is Nicole.

There are a few reasons:

Remember when Bobby said that Jon was eating an apple and thought it was Paul (New York City = Big Apple). That may have been a clue and it related to Nicole, i.e. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Also, I noticed the baby cry, which I think someone above mentioned. That sealed it for me.

So, I continued watching and if you watch Nicole when they get money, she tries to look happy but it just looks fake. It just looks like she is faking her happiness.

I had thought all along that she was just too obvious, but I think now that I was wrong. I think it is Nicole. I still have a couple of shows that I taped to watch again, so I may find more reasons to think it is Nicole.

August 06 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SA

I remember Anderson Cooper saying it took him a little while to figure out who the mole was, and that he was never told either.

Once again, I feel like this show is on the brink of being an amazing show, but they don't seem to be executing it in the right way. And, once again, it will be written off as a flop...unfortunately. It's like having a child who isn't living up to his/her potential.

August 06 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Liz: you're right, just checking Jon Kelley's blog and he says straight out (in Episode 7's entry) that he didn't know who the Mole was. That's really odd to me and if it's true it puts the whole game in a new perspective.

August 05 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brenth

So I just wanted to write something... I remember the first reunion, they had all the contestants sitting in a small room, and they went around asking who they thought would win, and who was the mole, and Anderson hosted, and the mole and the winner came through doors during the reunion.

I liked this season, and I can't wait for next week! My mole was out a couple weeks ago, so now I have no opinion.. ok I think Craig's the mole.

August 05 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

How funny was it when Nicole thought she could get away with using an ice cream sundae as dulce de leche. Like the five production guys following her around wouldn't clue Jon in. Cmon.

August 05 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply