August 21, 2014

Bob Saget + sex jokes about the Olsens = awkward

by Kona Gallagher, posted Aug 6th 2008 10:01AM
bob saget roastBob Saget's Comedy Central roast was filmed Sunday night, and the typically raunchy affair may have crossed the line a little bit. Despite being a famously foul-mouthed comedian himself, Saget is best known for playing warm and fuzzy Danny Tanner on Full House. It was because of this famous role that most of the jokes centered on two of his diminutive co-stars: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

Whether it was Gilbert Gottfried suggesting that Saget seduced the twins with chocolate milkshakes or Uncle Jesse himself, John Stamos, saying things like, "The whole time Bob and I were doing Full House, he was also hosting America's Funniest Home Videos. His entire job consisted of saying 'Take a look at this' which is what he used to say to Mary Kate in her dressing room," the subject of inappropriate relations with children was apparently a high source of comedy.

For his part, Saget says for the record that he was not happy with the turn of events, even though he may have expected it, saying, "anybody who talks about my TV kids -- that upsets me the most. I am very protective. I love them very, very much."

The male cast of Full House has always been protective of the twins, (Dave Coulier got super-pissed when Jordan Knight made some crass comments about them on The Surreal Life) so I'm kind of surprised that things seemed to get so out of hand. I'm especially surprised at John Stamos' joke about them, although from what it sounds like, the other comedians were way more raunchy.

What do you think? Are the Olsens fair game for comedy, or are jokes about having sex with girls who joined the show when they were babies just creepy?

Pfft!

So the Chris Benoit and Magic Johnson jokes at Flava Flav's roast were cool? Come on, the staple of these roasts is that NOTHHHHHHHING is off-limits. They even threw a Heath Ledger/Olson joke out there which drew a big "WHOAAA" reaction from the crowd before the comic added Heath woulda wanted it that way, which is probably true.

Don't like it, don't watch it. You're free to watch something fluffy, safe, and unoffensive instead.

August 18 2008 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shesha

jokes about having sex with girls who joined the show when they were babies is just creepy!!!

You wouldnt want ur family saying nasty stuff to you.. same applied to your TV family!

John Stamos crossed a line. :(

August 15 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymous

What kind of person would laugh at a joke about being sexual with a child? That is sick...to say the least. I also heard Bob defended them when some comedian made a joke about Mary-Kate's anorexia. That is a serious problem and not a laughing matter. I don't think comedians would be making jokes like that if their family was a target of child sexual abuse or was dealing with an eating disorder. What ever happened to the golden rule? Just because they are comedians, doesn't mean they can't be nice. I know they try to target to what is going to appeal to their audience, but what does that say about the world if comedians know those kinds of jokes will make them laugh? Way to go, Bob and Dave!

August 10 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I've heard comedians talk about doing these roasts and they are usually given a list of any items that are "off limits" and they don't do anything off that list. For example, with the Shatner roast any jokes about his deceased wife were off limits.

My guess is Bob was being sarcastic if he said anything about the show crossing a line.

August 07 2008 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Obviously we haven't seen the roast yet, so who knows how it will be edited down. But the funniest jokes are sometimes the ones so inappropriate there's no way they have any realism to them. I mean, did you hear some of the ones directed to William Shatner and George Takei from Betty White during Shatner's roast? I couldn't stop crying from laughter.

August 06 2008 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corey

Oh, please. Saget is on the Howard Stern show all the time and he is never offended by anything anyone says about the Olson twins. Nothing offends him at all. And he gets plenty of it there. I've read this story in a few places, and it smells like some PR spin to me. Someone's marketing team sent out a press release.

August 06 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

This is to boost the ratings of the roast. Nothing more. Bob's just unhappy that the kids are out of their oral phase...

August 06 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

I mean, being incredibly inappropriate is his whole shtick now. You can't really be shocked at what a shock comedian says.

@MacGuffin, his playing wholesome roles for years and years is what made him start doing this.

August 06 2008 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to driftwood's comment
CJ

Not true. Saget was doing stand-up before Full House.

And I've seen him live - jokes about the Olsens and the rest of the Full House crew are standard. Including himself - he even sang a song called "Danny Tanner Was Not Gay" to the tune of the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way."

August 06 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The Comedy Central roasts are among the funniest shows I've ever seen on TV. Nothing is off limits!

August 06 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

It's pretty ironic that one of the foulest-mouth comedians ever played in the lamest roles ever--the dad in Full House and the host of America's Funniest Home Videos.

August 06 2008 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply