October 26, 2014

Laurence Fishburne in talks for CSI

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 6th 2008 8:03AM
Laurence Fishburne tapped for CSICSI fans have been clutching their hearts in agony upon learning that William Petersen would be leaving the role of brainy crimebuster Gil Grissom. I don't watch CSI regularly, and even I know that he's the heart of the show.

Petersen will be returning for occasional guest appearances, but will the show ever be the same? Maybe not, but it doesn't have to die a slow, painful death either.

Laurence Fishburne is in talks to succeed Peterson as the star of the show, and I think he has the chops to do it. His monologue in the feature film Bobby gave me goosebumps and turned me into a diehard fan.

The search for a new CSI actor has been shrouded in secrecy, but sources say Fishburne is being courted to play a new character, described as a doctor/scientist outsider to the CSI unit who has the same genetic profile as a serial killer but hasn't previously acted on any homicidal impulses. Not yet anyway.

Other contenders for the role included John Malkovich and Kurt Russell, but I'm a big Fishburne fan, and this sort of casting would be just the thing to bring in new viewers like me and keep CSI rolling along.

What do you CSI fans think about it?

Flo Clark

The fact that William Pettersen is leaving the show was a real shock. It's like hearing that the Pope has decided to become Jewish. Although the verdict is still out for me since my 3 favorite characters on the show, Grissom, Sara and Warrick are gone, I predict that CSI will die a slow death. People hate change to begin with but since the original cast members all worked so well together, it will make for a greater transition.

August 24 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clark2019

after the announcement that Petersen will be leaving csi, have decided that will have to get over.

TOP 10 THINGS TO GET OVER THAT REALLY DONT MATTER:
1-not being able to watch Elvis on Ed Sullivan
2-last appollo to go to the moon
3-Clint Eastwood no longer The good,the bad, the ugly.
4-Ciint Eastwood no longer Dirty Harry
5-Mel gibson not on the big screen, but behind the scenes. only hope he will come back to big screen.
6-waiting for space shuttle to come over to land
7-not getting on Amazing Race
8-space shuttle last blast off 5/31/2010
9-trying to find another show that I might like as much.
10-NOW WE HAVE TO GET OVER CSI ON THRUSDAY NITE, A TRADITION FOR 8 YEARS, EVEN THOUGH WILLIAM PETERSEN WAS ONLY WALKING THRU SOME EPISODES AT LEAST U KNEW HE WAS STILL THERE. IN THE LAST 3 YEARS HAVE WATCHED EVERY EPISODE IN ALL SEASONS BECAUSE OF SICKNESS. NOW WILL HAVE TO MOVE ON .
PEOPLE GET ATTACHED TO PEOPLE AND SHOWS AND CHANGE ON TV IS NOT ALWAYS WELCOMED. SHOWS BECOME PART OF FAMILY AND IT IS LIKE A DEATH IN THE FAMILY. FIGURED IT WAS COMING, DID NOT THINK PETERSEN WOULD BE THERE ON THE 18TH YEAR OF SHOW. TO BAD
HAVE MOST OF HIS MOVIES AN HE LOOKS BETTER WITH AGE. I HAVE READ THAT HE WAS BORN 2/21/53. THAT IS WHEN I WAS BORN. I LOOK AT HIM AND WONDER IF I LOOK AS YOUNG AS HE DOES. I SURE HOPE I DO. i HOPE HE GETS IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA MORE THAN BEHIND THE CAMERA.

U WILL BE MISSED, BUT WE MADE IT THRU ELVIS,CFLINT EASTWOOD,MEL GIBSON , SO I GUESS WE WILL MAKE IT THRU WITHOUT U.

August 21 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clark2019

no more csi after William Pettersen leaves. producing might be great, but not being on the air is a negative. Sara was going to be on the show, but never has been back. the only good thiing u can do is if Grissom and Sara get together. coming back to visits a few times usually means never coming back. I hope Pettersen goes to movies or something that the average person can see.

August 21 2008 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clark2019

after first 10 episodes csi no longer exists

August 21 2008 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clark2019

When William Pettersen leaves that will end my interest in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
Being producer is fine, but not being on the show means no viewing for me.
What will Pettersen being playing on air beside a few csi episodes. If he is not on tv or movies, then we no longer cant watch him. He talks about the stage, his love. I guess all the fans can see him on the stage, if they can afford it.

August 21 2008 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samsara

I'm one of the few people whose glad to see Billy Petersen go because once he's gone so will that godforsaken GSR.

I think the show is in serious need of a shake up and I don't care who does it..

I liked Grissom until that GSR started and then god..I thought I was going to hurl..

August 15 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna L.M.

I am a seven season die hard CSI fan- and will be absolutely crushed to lose william, There is NO WAY Kurt Russell could ever fill those shoes- and some psycho serial killer profiled new comer sounds like its only worth an episode at best- Petersen is CSI las vegas, and it would only lessen to be as good if not worse than CSI NY or Miami with any changes- I'd couldn't bare to watch!

August 06 2008 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

DavidM - Yeah, I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who loved "Bobby." Didn't you like Fishburne's monologue in the kitchen, though?

jane

August 06 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steveo

"He took the red pill. Case closed"

August 06 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply