October 1, 2014

Life news: season one DVD and season premiere date(s)

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 6th 2008 8:03PM

Live season one comes out on DVD September 2ndIts been a very quiet summer for NBC's procedural drama Life. Fact is, its been a very quiet 10 months since the last original episode aired. Other than a schedule change (to Friday nights. Feh!), a casting addition back in April, and some brief mentions at the TCAs back in July, it's almost like the show never existed for the network. And, if I sound a bit miffed about this I'd say you're right. A unique show like Life deserves a bit more talk-up and promotion then it has gotten.

However, there are some stirrings about the show that seem somewhat promising. First, season one of Life will be released September 2nd on DVD. This is good news for those of you unhappy with the fact that NBC is not re-airing the first season prior to the newest one, or for those of you who have trouble accessing the episodes on Hulu.

In addition to the standard deleted scenes and blooper reel you would find on other boxed-DVD sets, there will be a number of episodes that feature commentary from both the stars and the creators of the series. Other extras include a look at the characters and the major plot points, a segment on Charlie's unusual fascination with eating fruit, and a discussion of the season one finale as well as the conspiracy that wound itself around Detective Crews last season.

Meanwhile, back at the network, some confusion has been rectified concerning the season premiere date for Life. According to sites like Futon Critic, the show's premiere date will be Friday, October 10th, at 10:00 PM. However, NBC has said that there will four hours of original Life episodes starting at 10:00 PM on Monday, September 29th, right after a new episode of Heroes. After that, the show will air on Friday, October 3rd and again on Monday, October 6th. When I asked the network publicity representative for the show what this all meant, she said that September 29th would be the official start date for the 2nd season of Life. This makes October 10th the actual day and time premiere for the show. Everyone got that?

Airing the show on two consecutive Mondays can mean a few things. One, NBC really does have faith in the show and wants people to know about it so they will tune in on Fridays. Two, they are testing the waters just in case My Own Worst Enemy fails miserably. Three, they're burning off as many episodes as they can to free up the space for another show. My hopes are with items one and two.

Kathy

The season 1 episodes of Life will be released on September 2nd and are available for pre-order now.

Life will be regularly scheduled on Friday
nights this fall but NBC is offering 4 episodes during the first 2 weeks of the new season.

Season 2 of Life will premiere on Monday, September 29th (following Heroes). The second episode will broadcast on Friday, October 3rd. During the 2nd week the 3rd episode will air on Monday, October 6th and the 4th will be televised on Friday, October
10th. Starting with episode 5 it will air on NBC on Fridays nights - unless the schedule changes again!

August 24 2008 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

First of all I'm glad to see some new news about "Life" as well. Can't wait for that season one DVD to be release (our local NBC affliate interupted a couple of episodes to, get this, test the Emergency Alert System. WTF?! During primetime of a first run episode?!!).

Anyway, I think all of us fans will just have pay close attention as the fall season begins in regards to when it actually does start because while I don't doubt you source of information I heard it was suppose to return on Oct. 2 (a Thursday) and this came from the actress that play's Charlie's ex-wife via a TV interview. :-/

August 07 2008 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I too am so glad this show is coming back. Fantastic show, and I typically hate "cop procedurals".... this one is special.

August 07 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I'm so excited life is coming back. I hope the reason for 4 episodes in 2 weeks is not option 3. I really do love this show, it got better and better every week. I've had the season 1 dvds pre-ordered since May.

Hopefully airing after Heroes will give Life a boost on those 2 mondays.

August 07 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

This is a great show, with great casting and a very cool premise.

The only thing that needs to be improved is Sarah Shahi looking a little more sexy and feminine, and not so butch.

August 07 2008 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monic

Glad to have news on LIFE, its such a wonderful gem of a show that its sad its not more popular given its wonderful writing and characters.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that NBC is trying to make up for its crappy promotions from last year by giving them the Monday slot after LIFE.

Also, I agree with TPTZ we need to make LIFE more visible, its a good show that deserve more viewers.

August 07 2008 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TPTZ

Yes, I LOVE this show too, but unfortunately I do feel it's probably item two or three... I know one of the reason was to ensure MY OWN WORST ENEMY would air without breaks, of course recent creator stepping down from showrunner might have helped as well.

Anyhow, I can't wait for the DVDs, but I'm worried about season two, that the network might have messed with the show like trying to "sex it up" and stuff, after seeing the recent promo they released...

Video & much more about LIFE on http://www.thepathtozen.com -- And tell your friends about the show, make LIFE visible!

August 07 2008 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

LOVE life. yay. bring it back, yea. I hope it doesn't die on Friday though.

August 06 2008 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply