July 22, 2014

The Mole might be canceled, so start sending your lemons to ABC

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 6th 2008 12:41PM
The MoleThe ratings for The Mole have been ho-hum, and ABC President Steve MacPherson says that if the ratings don't improve then we probably won't see another season of the show. Now, he said this a few weeks ago, so we've had a few episodes since then (and the season/series finale is next Monday), so he has probably already made up his mind about the show, though he likes the show and is pleased with the efforts to save it.

Of course, you can do a lot more. Someone has come up with the idea of sending lemons to ABC to save the show, a la the nuts campaign that saved Jericho for a half season. Why lemons? Mole contestant Paul kept a lucky lemon with him all the time, and at one point Clay even threw it at him during an argument. (Reality Blurred doesn't really seem to like the show, but the article above is interesting anyway.)

So, start stocking up on lemons. And make sure you draw little sad faces on them.

Peter

Although I agree with Andy's arguement, I still would like to watch new season of the show. It is my favorite reality show, and I hate to see it go away, and I have to resort in watching other stupid shows. True, it might not be as smart as it was in season 1, but at least it's still far smarter than the other shows.

August 15 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenman

I think we need to do more than just save The Mole, we need to watch the show. If ABC doesn't pick up another installment of The Mole, maybe CBS could pick up the show. I am sure that NBC, FOX, The CW, and MyNewtorkTV would be interested in The Mole.

August 12 2008 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brenth

The Mole is the only reality show I watch, and I watch A LOT of TV. But I could see the writing on the wall half way through the season, there was no advertising, no promotion..the best and only commercial I can remember was the one with the ladies walking through Chile in those skimpy outfits...great marketing! I'll miss it, I love it, and I'd watch another season.

August 07 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I really hope they get another season, but, since I like it so much, naturally they will cancel it. This is my first season, too, so I've nothing to compare it to, but I've really enjoyed it & while I think I've figured out the Mole, I might still be surprised. Someone mentioned upthread that season 1 is on dvd, I'm going to try & get it. It will be new to me.

August 07 2008 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I personally hope it does get canceled, the less reality TV on the main networks, the better.

August 07 2008 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Uh...unlike nuts, lemons will rot after some time in unrefrigerated transit...

August 06 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I have liked this season of the Mole but the bad part for me is I keep forgeting it is on. I have so much to do on Mondays I wish it could be on a different day. Plus I have seen no marketing for it. Mole has been good when I do watch it but I keep forgeting to watch it is is weird.

August 06 2008 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Gould

I'm a huge fan of the Mole, but it was near-impossible to find advertising for it during the season (I'm seeing more ads for the reruns than I did for the original broadcasts!)

No-one can really compare to Cooper, but Jon is growing on me - it's just a different style.

We definately need more "smart" gameshows on television (you show me someone whose normal life involves walking across bridges while wearing a video headset displaying mirrored visuals, and I'll call it a "reality show")

August 06 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

This is what I feared the most. Although I miss Anderson Cooper in the host's role, I do have to admit that Jon Kelley grew on me this season.

In fact, I'm quite happy with this season despite my misgivings in the beginning.

Now ABC wants to shelve the Mole despite the fact that they haven't promoted it half as much as the other crap reality shows on its schedule. In fact, didn't ABC introduce two crappier games shows that pale in comparison ("I Survived a Japanese Game Show" and "Wipeout")?

ABC really needs to get Lloyd Braun back. And they need to keep the Mole on for another season.

August 06 2008 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mb's comment
sarah

i concur about Kelley. but, i am biased because this is the first season i have watched. i love the show.

August 06 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

The Mole Season 1 is on DVD. You (and anyone else who hasn't seen the first two seasons) should watch it to see how good the series is.

Truthfully, Season 3 started off not too well but came together very nicely. I can't wait for the finale.

August 06 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwen

I liked it a lot better than I thought I would and couldn't believe that we didn't find out who the Mole is Monday night!! Jon at the Metrobuzz has an excellent diatribe over the lack of effective advertisement as opposed to Wipeout this show received fron the promotions department. He makes some really good points.

August 06 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply