July 25, 2014

Olmos to direct Battlestar prequel movie

by Brett Love, posted Aug 7th 2008 10:02AM

Edward James Olmos - Battlestar GalacticaGood news everyone. It seems that this whole movie thing is working out quite nicely for the folks over at Sci Fi. Executive VP of original programming for Sci Fi, Mark Stern, now also counts himself as co-head of the newly formed Universal Cable Productions. Why should we care? Because at the end of the day that means a little more Battlestar Galactica.

The success of Razor is a big part of this. Stern describes it as doing "phenomenally well in the international and DVD market." It's led to a whole new way of financing and creating entertainment for the network. The new Battlestar project will air after the series completes its run next year. Edward James Olmos is on board to direct, and he'll have a script by Jane Espenson to work with. Both nice choices. Casting is still up in the air at the moment. So far, Michael Trucco (Anders), Aaron Douglas (Tyrol), and Dean Stockwell (Cavil) are confirmed.

The story is prequel-esque. It goes back to just after the Cylon destruction of human home worlds. We'll follow the Cylons as they deal with human survivors, aboard ships as well as on planets. There is also a hint that the movie will focus specifically on two of the Cylon agents.

Jeanette

I think this is great news, I'll follow this man to the end of the worlds.

January 06 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mad Dog

Wow, too bad BSG is taking us back to the beginning again. It was a fun ride. I was kind of hoping they would do a "what if" TV movie with letting the Pegasus survive all the way to the end. I would have much rather scuttled the Galatica and taken the Pegasus as my flag ship as it was the top of the line battlestar. I still don't believe that a military strategists like Admiral Adama or even Commander Lee Adama would sacrifice a battlestar. I would have used the entire fleet to run around as decoys or ram into the basestars. Anything and everything except loose a battlestar.

August 11 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Anyone happen to be watching the first run of Burn Notice on 8/7/8 and see the Start Wife series commercial? I'm sure it can be found or USA will run it again but anyways tell me at the one point when Debra Messing is in a suit that she couldn't play a young Mary McDonnell as Roslin. Thats if they wanted to really cast a early prequel movie. Just throwing that out there.

August 08 2008 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picviewer's comment
Akbar Fazil

I see two issues with that.
1- Debra is probably a little too old to be playing a young Roslin in the Caprica story. This new movie takes place right before the initial attacks so Mary could still do the role.
2- Debra has no where near the acting chops that Mary does.

August 08 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Hello Akbar....I hope you are having a great summer. I must say I miss reading your posts (along with Dorv and bsgfan) and am eagerly awaiting the return of BSG. You made some valid points in your discussion of the movie topic. Maybe it will be like a Columbo movie as in we will know WHAT happened but the movie will entail the HOW of it. Man, I sure miss BSG. So say we all.

August 07 2008 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
bsgfan2003

Yes, I believe you are on to something Tim-1.
Maybe in 4.5 there will be such a juicy reveal about Cavil that we will be ravenous for his previous endeavors and maybe those endeavors will answer any lingering questions of the season finale. I just don't believe that the movie will be in vain. And Akbar, I might disagree with you on this front, but my platonic BSG love for you is as always undiminished ;)

August 07 2008 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

If Grace Park is in it I will come....

August 07 2008 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
Akbar Fazil

Well, if we are dealing with the Chief before the attacks, its more than likely we will see Boomer pre-sleeper agent.

August 07 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

I'm confused - How come Anders & Tyrol are listed as Cylons? Surely if it's dealing with the Cylon ceanup after the attack they will still be (deep) sleeper agents & on Galactica/Caprica?

August 07 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

August 07 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Knowing Dean Stockwell will be in it as Cavil is even more exciting to me than Olmos or Espenson, both of whom I agree are good choices. His Cavil character is my favorite Cylon after Boomer and Six. I'm hoping he's in many of the remaining 10 episodes, as well.

August 07 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Akbar - have faith it will turn out o.k. :)

Have you been let down yet?

August 07 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bsgfan2003's comment
Akbar Fazil

Oh I have faith. I am just not sure there is much meat left to this is all. As much as I love BSG, I would be very happy if the series just closed the story and that was it. If we go back to the well too many times, we are going to end up with Star Trek.

August 07 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Eh, im not so sure.

Razor with flashbacks worked because it kept us inline with the mostly at the time current story and helped shoe us into season 4. But going back like this after the whole thing is done? What is the point really.

August 07 2008 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply